Author Topic: A marketing idea? Whitepaper? Strategy? request? Either way I think its is gold.  (Read 38680 times)

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Be careful that we dont look like a ponzi or act like a ponzi.

I can already see DecentralizedEconomics and NewMine's posts in bitcointalk if we do this, accusing Bitshares of being a ponzi scheme just trying to scam people out of money.

Dangit Ander....Foiled Again!

:P

I'm not saying I dont like it.  I like the referral program part.  We just need to do it in a way that people cant realistically accuse it of being a ponzi, or MLM, or a pyramid.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:15:14 pm by Ander »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Pheonike

This would work great inside of a wallet app like MoonStone, Especially if there was a messaging function. That's what FaceBook is doing. Turning the messenger app into its own platform.

Offline Globally Distributed

• View Profile
Also anyone using the term Ponzi to describe the OP does not really seem to understand ponzi schemes IMO, and maybe they just don't see how MLM works with value-creating products
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 05:50:16 pm by Globally Distributed »
"People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZoJKF_VuA

kudos robrigo

Offline Globally Distributed

• View Profile
This referal program would make it so easy to earn money in a way so different from the original idea of BitShares, that its ponziness would defeat BitShares' original purpose. Yes, it would probably bring many new people to the system. But what kind of people? People, who will suddenly realize how good BitShares are, or people who just want to get rich on the referal program?

From wikipedia:
Ponzi schemes occasionally begin as legitimate businesses, until the business fails to achieve the returns expected. The business becomes a Ponzi scheme if it then continues under fraudulent terms. Whatever the initial situation, the perpetuation of the high returns requires an ever-increasing flow of money from new investors to sustain the scheme.

I would prefer to stick to the original values we wanted to promote, not the "get rich fast" values. Once the original ideas get implemented, we will earn profit from the right thing instead of this obscure mechanism.

Ever used Venmo?  When they started if I signed up via my friend's link, then my friend got $5.  Then the app asked me to send a link to all my friends.  Every friend of mine that signed up via my link earned me $5.  The app has so much utility now because all my friends are signed up and we can send each other money instantly. 

An MLM program should work the same way for bitshares except that bitshares will not only grab the global peer to peer payments network effect for bitusd, it will also encourage merchant adoption, and employer to employee payments, which an app like Venmo will never be able to do. 

My point being ... Venmo never seemed like a pyramid scheme because the app is solid gold in terms of utility.  BitUSD will eventually be solid gold in terms of utility, so any users brought in by a referral/rewards/MLM program would likely use the app IMO.
"People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZoJKF_VuA

kudos robrigo

Offline fuzzy

I can already see DecentralizedEconomics and NewMine's posts in bitcointalk if we do this, accusing Bitshares of being a ponzi scheme just trying to scam people out of money.

Dangit Ander....Foiled Again!
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fuzzy

This referal program would make it so easy to earn money in a way so different from the original idea of BitShares, that its ponziness would defeat BitShares' original purpose. Yes, it would probably bring many new people to the system. But what kind of people? People, who will suddenly realize how good BitShares are, or people who just want to get rich on the referal program?

From wikipedia:
Ponzi schemes occasionally begin as legitimate businesses, until the business fails to achieve the returns expected. The business becomes a Ponzi scheme if it then continues under fraudulent terms. Whatever the initial situation, the perpetuation of the high returns requires an ever-increasing flow of money from new investors to sustain the scheme.

I would prefer to stick to the original values we wanted to promote, not the "get rich fast" values. Once the original ideas get implemented, we will earn profit from the right thing instead of this obscure mechanism.

I would prefer this too, hrossik...but I am also an idealist to a fault.  And I know it.  Sometimes we have to look at the reality of a situation and be willing to take off our rose-colored glasses to realize that the majority of the cryptocommunity no longer really gives two craps about what they cared about when they first set out loving bitcoin.  Greed gets in the way. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't strive to continue working with the original philosophy though, which is why I will continue trying to keep the devs, delegates and community closely tied together to ensure everyone has a voice and is willing to ask the tough questions when necessary. 
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo

From wikipedia:

I agree.  I was hoping people would come to BitShares because their own search for integrity led them here.  The principals on which BitShares has been built is of vital importance.   Then the other reason would be the incredible utility of BitShares which simply makes it the market choice....this point doesn't feel so far away.

Offline hrossik

• View Profile

From wikipedia:

BTS: hr0550

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
Great ideas Max and this is in line with various ideas that have been floating around our lunch discussions. 

The primary challenge we face is that there is nothing stopping everyone from simply "referring themselves" and then using the account N levels down so they get the rebate on all of their transaction fees.   

You solve this somewhat with the $20 fee to create a participating account.   This fee would prevent all abuse from anyone generating less than $20 in transaction fees per year.  4000 transactions per year at $0.01 per transaction assuming 50% of fees go to the referrer.   

I think the $20 fee could be seen as a pyramid scheme where the bottom of the pyramid never makes their money back.     On the other hand, if you can convince just 2 people to sign up then your fee is covered.  So it seems like a low enough barrier to anyone who is passionate about the concept.   

Technically it is all possible.

The idea sounds good. But watchout for some jurisdictions where pyramids/mlms are illegal.
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline oldman

• View Profile
Great ideas Max and this is in line with various ideas that have been floating around our lunch discussions. 

The primary challenge we face is that there is nothing stopping everyone from simply "referring themselves" and then using the account N levels down so they get the rebate on all of their transaction fees.   

You solve this somewhat with the $20 fee to create a participating account.   This fee would prevent all abuse from anyone generating less than $20 in transaction fees per year.  4000 transactions per year at $0.01 per transaction assuming 50% of fees go to the referrer.   

I think the $20 fee could be seen as a pyramid scheme where the bottom of the pyramid never makes their money back.     On the other hand, if you can convince just 2 people to sign up then your fee is covered.  So it seems like a low enough barrier to anyone who is passionate about the concept.   

Technically it is all possible.

+5% +5%

Pure genius.

I would vote for implementation asap.

This would allow people to 'work' for BTS without becoming a delegate; the implications for adoption are mind boggling.

$1 fee to lock in each year of revenue claim, up to a maximum of 20 years (max fee would be $20).

Revenue split 60% to referrer and 40% to BTS shareholders.

Holy shit.

I hate to say it but this should be implemented prior to 1.0 and marketed heavily on release of 1.0.

If the devs can pull this off we could be looking at one of the fastest growing businesses in human history. BTS could go completely exponential on a global scale.

I just spent a few weeks in SE Asia; everyone seems to have a smart phone. Community networks are strong and this would spread like wildfire. BTS could provide an economic opportunity to millions.

This platform just keeps blowing my mind.

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
I just upgraded to 8.0 and it took almost a whole day which include countless crashes.

That is very odd because I did the upgrade in 30 minutes with no crashes and a complete re-download of the blockchain.

Not if you upgrade from a much older version.  The older chain causes crashes and resync in one of my pcs.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 04:42:27 pm by cube »
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
Why not connect it to Facebook so that you can do it right? Just about everyone is on Facebook now and Facebook checks for ID.

then you buy 10 fb accounts for $5 and it'll help no one. keep it within our resources, and keep it decentralized.

You can't buy Facebook accounts anymore. They are cracking down making people give their state ID to use Facebook.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/29/absurd-facebook-requesting-government-id-to-unlock-accounts-again/

you can, of course. facebook gets the finger in europe for jokes like this. just because it's not possible in US doesn't mean it's impossible in general ;)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Why not connect it to Facebook so that you can do it right? Just about everyone is on Facebook now and Facebook checks for ID.

then you buy 10 fb accounts for $5 and it'll help no one. keep it within our resources, and keep it decentralized.

You can't buy Facebook accounts anymore. They are cracking down making people give their state ID to use Facebook.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/29/absurd-facebook-requesting-government-id-to-unlock-accounts-again/

Offline davidpbrown

ASAP but KISS.. and obviously we'll need a league table to see the real impact and learn from who's doing what and how.. kudos can be as valuable as BTS!
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc