Author Topic: POLL: Should paid Workers be REQUIRED to Publish their accountability info?  (Read 35904 times)

Offline gamey

• View Profile
The blockchain either requires these few fields to be maintained, or not.
How much gray area would you guys like to add?
This is IMO the biggest problem BitShares faces. No accountability. Voter apathy. Both inhibit growth.

I'm all for keeping track of what each Delegate is doing. No one is arguing about that. It has been suggested dozens of times. I've tried to get people to create a website around a roster like this.

Requesting reports is not that efficient use of time if someone is already severely underpaid.

Some of this stuff like people requesting holidays on the blockchain is just ... not sure where to start. 

The false dicotomy in the voting choices, etc.

Regardless, carry on.I support your ideas in a general sense.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
The blockchain either requires these few fields to be maintained, or not.
How much gray area would you guys like to add?
This is IMO the biggest problem BitShares faces. No accountability. Voter apathy. Both inhibit growth.
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I know Ken wants to demonstrate how much he is behind cleaning things up, but the vote at the top comes across as a joke wth the 2 artificial/fake options.

This was why I didn't answer the poll.. the entire premise and questions are loaded and don't allow for open discussion.

It's like when Cobert from the Cobert Report would do his interviews and always ask.. 'George Bush; Great President, or Greatest President in History?'

Perhaps was best to just open it to discussion and not create a polarizing poll question. What's done is done now though.. those that want to participate certainly are free too.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:08:40 pm by DataSecurityNode »
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
Although I think we shouldn't be too rigid for now, I think delegates should provide basic info and reports so the shareholders can make an informed decision, whether to vote for them or not. Without those, a shareholder doesn't know what a delegate is up to or he must hunt for info and I think that's wrong. With a few basics, specially proof of work and reports, one should be able to confirm if the delegate is doing what he said or not. All we need is enough information to make an informed decision.

And to be honest I know what the regular and active delegates are doing, but what about the other half? I don't need to be constantly hunting threads to collect the info I need, that info should be accessible. Most other user's don't have the time or don't feel like doing so, meaning some people might take advantage of voting apathy, that's what I'm afraid of.

Hence, I think each delegate should be required basic info so everyone can easily make an informed decision, instead of searching through countless threads and asking around. Everyone should just go to a place - be it a thread or bitsharesblocks, whatever - where that information is. It needs to be accessible.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I know Ken wants to demonstrate how much he is behind cleaning things up, but the vote at the top comes across as a joke wth the 2 artificial/fake options.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I had some extensive discussions about this with some other community members in private to best piece together how we can expect things to operate in the new what I call The Three Branches of Delegation (TBD)

This polling and discussion is all good to start a whole 'what if' type thing.. but ultimately this is going to be up to the Delegates branch to determine if thats how things should be done for the workers and then up to the public to do nothing or stop what is determined in the vote process.

I think it was interesting that BM said that the Workers space is NOT for marketers.. it's meant for the road builders and the rest should use the refer program.

Regardless of that though, what they are making is a system for us to be free to choose how it runs and is used.. so the intended ideal use may not mirror the reality of how it gets applied.

After doing the analysis of it though I am really excited about it now.. this is a far more effective structure of governance and checks and balances and flexibility all wrapped into a nice crytopacket. :)

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Thom

Thanks ken for publishing your thinking about this. Lets not be too quick to gloss over the elements ken has surfaced for us to consider.

First, let me say we can't become too rigid in our requirements. Ultimately shareholders must be where enforcement resides. However, I also believe that we need to provide some basic tools the shareholders can use to be well informed in order to do that effectively.

Accountability is indeed the operative concept here.

Metrics of performance is the means of achieving that. It boils down to information. What are the sources of information that might be used? How will it be collected?

Perhaps the primary requirement of every proposal is each candidate must clearly describe not only what they will do, but also how they will be measured. Let the candidates explain what yardstick they wish to be held against, and if the shareholders agree THAT becomes the mechanism for accountability. If the mechanism proposed is too weak, they don't get the votes.

The above scheme will work IF we have shareholders that take their role responsibly and are active in their duties of oversight. Too much shareholder apathy will allow workers to be voted in whose metrics are weak or just don't work as described.

I don't know if some minimal rules would help mitigate such apathy, or whether they would be counterproductive. But these are my contribution to ken's ideas.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
missing the I don't care vote. I always do some research before I vote, so I'm well aware of delegates (soon workers) and their participation.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
  • We have a blockchain, let's use it for everything we can (like HR).
  • It's not as easy as our materials say it is to vote someone out. Let the blockchain (HR) do it.
  • Attracting new employees right now is nearly impossible when they find out A) how hard it is to get voted in and B) that they'll be making $15 per day (that's at a 100% Payrate too).
  • Who's going to like these ideas? WHALES? Investors? Partners? Savers? Traders? All NON-Workers? The media......?

I don't think it's asking too much to put the blockchain to work as our HR Worker.
Trust me, if we don't do it, a more aggressive company will. :o
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 08:31:49 pm by kenCode »
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I agree with pc .. +5% for best practices

In the, ever stakeholder decides on its own .. and you can set your own rules for your stake and your slate

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
The text for the "Yes" vote is not really the same as the thread title. I find that misleading.

Yes, I think workers *should* publish their info, but no, I do not think they should be *required* to publish.

The entry barrier for new delegates/workers is quite high as it is. Formalizing this process raises it even more. I think we should make the DAC attractive for skilled workers instead of keeping them away with a fence.

Some of your suggestions are unenforcable and/or unrealistic, specifically, those dealing with "time off", sick leave etc. .

I'd say we create a "best practices" guide and leave enforcement to the shareholders.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
FYI - Delegates will soon be called Workers.
DPOS 2.0 (as per BM) utilizes Witnesses, Workers, and Delegates.

The biggest impediment of any decentralized company is Accountability. What is each employee doing at any given moment?
Are these Workers aggressively performing their job duties, taking time off, or just out on a smoke break?

A successful company is one that employs Workers who are driven to see it succeed.

Workers - are paid a fixed number of tokens per day to perform Proposed Services
  • Worker Proposal (worker.proposal)
  • Worker Monthly Report (worker.report) - aka "Report" below
  • Worker proof of work URL's (worker.pow) one or more URL's that allow the public to verify Proposed Services are performed
  • Worker Services (worker.services) a "lookup table" of searchable job titles, in order of precedence (ie: show me just the "Tech Support", "Sales" or "Developer" people)
  • Worker Description (worker.description) a brief description of what this employee does for BitShares
  • Worker Country (worker.country) just a country code so the public knows what timezone the Worker resides in
  • Worker Handles (worker.handle) bitsharestalk userid, twitter handle, skype id, etc. (at least 1 handle is required)

BitShares v1.0...
  • The date/time-stamped keys/values above will be stored on the blockchain (ie: Factom)
  • The blockchain is our HR Worker; Global Holidays, Vacation, Sick Leave, Paternal Leave and designated workdays must be requested/approved by the blockchain.
  • will provide a textarea for Worker to submit their monthly Report. That transaction can't be modified after broadcasted. Creating the monthly Newsletter also becomes much easier.
  • If Worker edits and resubmits their Proposal, they must be voted in again.
  • The Report must be at least 200-5000 characters and it must be at least 10% different than last month's published Report or else HR (the blockchain) won't accept it.
  • The Worker will be fined ____BTS per day that their monthly Report is not filed on-time. Once funds are depleted (OR >14 days has passed), Worker is fired automatically.
  • The Worker will be fined ____BTS per day if the other 6 keys/values are not valid. Once funds are depleted (OR >14 days has passed), Worker is fired automatically.
  • To avoid a Worker taking unapproved time off, the blockchain will track A) Worker wallet has been manually logged into at least once per week, and B) a Witness and a Delegate manually vouches for Worker by each sending 0.5 BTS to the Worker.
  • Quarterly BTS bonuses (____% of the current market cap) go to the Top ____ Workers (based on their current rank ("rank" # will be upgraded to include all of the above))
  • Workers cannot be voted on until all of their info is published properly.

BitsharesBlocks.com...
  • will display the Worker's date/time-stamped Report and the additional validated 6 keys/values.
  • If the creation date of the displayed Report is older than 31 days, it is bolded and colored RED with "This Worker has not filed on-time".

Please leave your comments below on adding these managerial "HR" features to our blockchain. Good? Bad?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:33:14 am by kenCode »
www.PalmPay.chat