Author Topic: Active (un)voting initiative II  (Read 6926 times)

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
I didn't want to hijack delulo's thread but I have to say this. I'm not a crypto person. I'm a equities and commodities trader. I have accumulated millions of Bts over time but have never voted. Part of the reason why is because Bts is not easy for me to understand. It's not my world. I do listen to Beyond Bitcoin and the discussion there is always informative and professional. And I always leave feeling quite inspired. But searching for basic information here on the forum is a pain. And the people here are toxic. I actually never realized that some delegates were receiving 10 million Bts per annum. That's a ton of dilution. As a matter of fact that's more than I have. Is that a simple calculation? Yes. But instead of bitching about it you should be asking yourselves why is it that forum members don't know this basic info and how it can be more readily available and easy to access. My mistake for thinking that this forum was designed to answer questions.

This thread is about voter apathy right? To be honest I'm pretty sick and tired of this place. When the price recovers a bit I'll be selling.

You're going to sell your investment because someone wasn't nice to you on a forum?  And why the hell are you investing in something you don't understand?

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I didn't want to hijack delulo's thread but I have to say this. I'm not a crypto person. I'm a equities and commodities trader. I have accumulated millions of Bts over time but have never voted. Part of the reason why is because Bts is not easy for me to understand. It's not my world. I do listen to Beyond Bitcoin and the discussion there is always informative and professional. And I always leave feeling quite inspired. But searching for basic information here on the forum is a pain. And the people here are toxic. I actually never realized that some delegates were receiving 10 million Bts per annum. That's a ton of dilution. As a matter of fact that's more than I have. Is that a simple calculation? Yes. But instead of bitching about it you should be asking yourselves why is it that forum members don't know this basic info and how it can be more readily available and easy to access. My mistake for thinking that this forum was designed to answer questions.

This thread is about voter apathy right? To be honest I'm pretty sick and tired of this place. When the price recovers a bit I'll be selling.
1 delegate gets roughly 140k bts monthly. At today's market cap that works out to about $400
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Frodo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: frodo
We are still at 36 100% delegates in the 101.  Would be good to get this down a bit more, in some way. 

But more importantly, when 2.0 comes, I feel we should cut down on the inflation rate.  Pay for core dev upgrade proposals and a couple other things, and try to limit dilution as much as we can.

Is dilution that important? I mean I know the less the better so we're profitable but isn't our inflation rate less than bitcoin's? I don't know exact numbers but from what I remember, comparing the the current supply it wasn't that much. It seems to me that people make this a bigger monster than it is, simply because they hear the "dilution" word.

I agree. Currently inflation is still well under 2.5 % per year. And I am quite happy with that compared to the overall performance of delegates.

That being said I do agree that it is important to establish certain minimum requirements for 100% delegates though.

The issue with 7 delegates reminds me of what BM said last hangout. You get more work done by giving one person $100k than by giving 1000 people $100. And I think the bunker mining project is a good candidate for bringing in new users and providing the bitUSD market with additional liquidity. If it is perceived as necessary (although I don't) maybe we should vote out other "marketing/media" delegates instead.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies

That 10M bts would be for 7 delegate spots.  Still a lot of bts. Bts2.0 will remove any justification for duplicate block producers, as they will be focused purely on securing the network.  Voting will also become much easier, and the wallet is much more usable.  We definitely have lots of issues with the current client.  The devs are aware, and are working on fixing.  I think most form regulars are pretty helpful, snarky responses aside.  I'd hate to see you go, we need all the users we can get.  Good luck either way though.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
We are still at 36 100% delegates in the 101.  Would be good to get this down a bit more, in some way. 

But more importantly, when 2.0 comes, I feel we should cut down on the inflation rate.  Pay for core dev upgrade proposals and a couple other things, and try to limit dilution as much as we can.

Is dilution that important? I mean I know the less the better so we're profitable but isn't our inflation rate less than bitcoin's? I don't know exact numbers but from what I remember, comparing the the current supply it wasn't that much. It seems to me that people make this a bigger monster than it is, simply because they hear the "dilution" word.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline godzirra

• View Profile

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
If you guys want lots of bunkermining delegates, why dont we at least vote out other 100%s to get them in, starting I think with delgates that have left and are redicrecting funds, like Chronos.   Also it seems sidhujag isnt updating anymore.

We have a scarcity of running and updated 3% delegates that are near the top 101 to vote in to reduce dilution, so I would keep votes for those that are there, such as the minebitshares 3% delegates.  There are also a few near the top 101 that could be supported, just make sure youre voting for delegates with version 0.9.2.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies

IN THE END: If such a public discussion is not possible because one is afraid that the to be unvoted delegate may not like you anymore than that is negative for DPOS. DPOS can live without such an open public discussion too but a lot less effective.  Let's establish a culture of content focus instead of one of politics and advertisement, see https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18196.0.html

Before anybody goes nuts over MineBitShares... I did mention a post coming today to talk about updates in the MineBitShares forum area. Pretty underhanded to fire off an attack like this without first seeing that....

...I had to loan out my own money to get things started. For the sake of getting the pool update delivered and not thinking people would post nutty uninformed posts like this, I did that...

Yeah.  We have some work to do.  I totally get that you disagree with delulo, but I don't think his post was underhanded or nutty.  I think responding in this way is a deterrent to honest discussion, and I think the first iteration of this thread showed that we can overcome voter apathy with such honest discussion.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Thom

This kind of asinine behavior is why people don't care to participate here. Just so you guys know.

Should I do more work for you to show that this is one of, if not the most, active forum/community in crypto?

I kindof agree with you lil_jay890, but there is also this thing called courtesy. I too get annoyed sometimes by people that want to always take the easy way out rather than fire a few synapses to think for themselves.

Sometimes I wonder how people manage to survive that are so adverse to thinking.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Tuck Fheman

Should I do more work for you to show that this is one of, if not the most, active forum/community in crypto?

Well there is this thing called math that can be used to figure that out...
 :P

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
This kind of asinine behavior is why people don't care to participate here. Just so you guys know.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
Your welcome for doing the 5 seconds of work that you had to ask someone else to figure out for you.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
7 Delegates! How much bts is that?

Well there is this thing called math that can be used to figure that out...

24hrs in a day
3600 seconds in an hour
10 second block times
101 delegates
50 bts per block
7 minebts delegates

Approx 30,000 bts per day