Author Topic: BitShares X Status Update  (Read 261147 times)

Offline bytemaster

I have been putting together more detailed algorithm documentation here:

http://bitshares.org/documentation/group__dpos.html

If you see anything that needs correction or clarification let me know... the webpage is generated from the following doxygen file:

https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares_toolkit/blob/master/libraries/blockchain/dpos.dox

As far as when...

Eric & I are working closely to get the P2P code integrated with the blockchain and DPOS.   We have been making great progress and the links above show the design / algorithm documentation.   This serves as our checklist and points that we must test.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline jwiz168

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster

Pos is automatic. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline pgbit

• View Profile
Bytemaster, just a polite request, at the time of wallet release please add carefully thought through instructions for enabling/activating POS within the wallet environment, if this is needed. I've seen this implemented quite variably with lots of alt coins. No reason to doubt you won't do this, but please offer a bounty though if appropriate if time is of the essence.

I am guessing you have maybe made POS automatic?

Offline vlight

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vlight
So, what's next and when ? :-\

Offline Ykw

• View Profile
No lost confidence.  Just had to solve pos first. 

Has this been solved now wrt coding?

Yes, I released a white paper on DPOS last week and have implemented a large part of it and will be testing it in the days ahead.   Resolving the security model in a way that one can thoroughly understand and prove is secure was a major challenge.  You can follow discussions on this forum where about a half dozen variations / iterations where vetted and found wanting...  Let me list the evolution:

1) Mining with Momentum... tossed due to centralization and non profitability
2) Transactions as Proof of Stake white paper (Nov 28th, 2013) adjusted mining difficulty by stake.  Suffered from weakness on deciding who should produce the next block.
3) Ripple Consensus + TaPOS was the concept in January at the Miami event through Feb, but after attempted implementation we realized it had several deal breakers:
      a) the unique node list was an invite-only group and a point of trust
      b) the UNL was not compensated in any way
      c) the bandwidth requirements / scalability were an issue
4) Fall back on a simple mining + TaPOS and various variations on equations for option 2.  All of these variations suffered from many potential attacks and would require many confirmations.  It became too complex to analyze.  (Feb through March)
5) Single trustee which could be fired... the process was too manual but otherwise sound.
6) Delegated POS this solution has been reviewed, found to be decentralized, fast, and secure without ambiguity.  We have finally resolved the issue.

In that time we also identified problems and found solutions to several market manipulation attacks.  These need to be implemented, but then we should be good to go.

As you can see R&D is not predictable when you are at the bleeding edge of innovation and solving problems as they are discovered.

Very nice paper (http://107.170.30.182/security/delegated-proof-of-stake.php)...

Although I must admit that still needs some visual explanation for broader public understanding. It also would help consolidate by commenting it (visual drawings).

Things like this necessarily have to change/adapt with time essence... we face edge developing ideas that get reactions... when implemented. So documenting them is a MUST. Consolidating their stable audience.. also. Otherwise developing something that only we understand about.. and where the focus is for everyone to adopt.. will be worth nothing.. I understand that time races against your availability, but felt right to me in pointing out this.

This is just my way of extrapolating the effect of knowledge specialization. That we do require as a source for developing new core ideas.. but that with time if canalized to the right direction can potentially create a positive diversion.. for mass adoption.

Offline muse-umum

• BitShares everything
    • View Profile

Yes, I released a white paper on DPOS last week and have implemented a large part of it and will be testing it in the days ahead.   Resolving the security model in a way that one can thoroughly understand and prove is secure was a major challenge.  You can follow discussions on this forum where about a half dozen variations / iterations where vetted and found wanting...  Let me list the evolution:

2) Transactions as Proof of Stake white paper (Nov 28th, 2013) adjusted mining difficulty by stake.  Suffered from weakness on deciding who should produce the next block.
3) Ripple Consensus + TaPOS was the concept in January at the Miami event through Feb, but after attempted implementation we realized it had several deal breakers:
4) Fall back on a simple mining + TaPOS and various variations on equations for option 2.  All of these variations suffered from many potential attacks and would require many confirmations.  It became too complex to analyze.  (Feb through March)
5) Single trustee which could be fired... the process was too manual but otherwise sound.
6) Delegated POS this solution has been reviewed, found to be decentralized, fast, and secure without ambiguity.  We have finally resolved the issue.

In that time we also identified problems and found solutions to several market manipulation attacks.  These need to be implemented, but then we should be good to go.

As you can see R&D is not predictable when you are at the bleeding edge of innovation and solving problems as they are discovered.

this is cool

if nothing new should be added, can you guys finish the dpos blockchain and p2p network coding before you go to china next month?

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans

I am so proud of you! <3

You make everything better :)
hahaha
Summary posts such as the one above (list the evolution) are important for providing the community with information on all that has been done. It functions as a good pacifier  :)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

I am so proud of you! <3

You make everything better :)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

“We are plain quiet folk and have no use for innovations.
Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!”

-- Bilbo, the Hobbit

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

sumantso

Yes, I released a white paper on DPOS last week and have implemented a large part of it and will be testing it in the days ahead.   Resolving the security model in a way that one can thoroughly understand and prove is secure was a major challenge.

Actually that was the answer to my question (I had read up the DPOS whitepaper as soon as you posted it). Nice summary of the evolution, though. Can you do a similar one for market manipulation attacks?

Offline bytemaster

sumantso

Offline bytemaster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CrazyCriple

• View Profile
Is dan still working on BitsharesX? His last commit was almost 2 weeks ago...

There is a new sticky post to track the development status:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=3812.0

yeah. I know. And from that post and the commits on github it looks like he is just delegating work for it for now.. Maybe it is too much for him at the moment. With all these DAC's and conferences. I just wish he would finish this DAC first. It almost looks like he lost confidence in the success of bitsharesX. I hope this is not the case..