Author Topic: Metatrader 4 and Bitshares  (Read 20093 times)

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

+5% for reaching out to them. Didn't even know cass was already working on it, wow

I'm pretty sure there's been some crossed wires in this thread. Cass appeared to be talking about a different company?

I meant about working on the installer and reaching out to the company he mentioned, as well as xeroc  :)
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
For this to be antifragile, the MT4 client would have to connect directly to bitshares wallet that you specify, preferably a locally installed full node. Otherwise the MT4 company would just go after the web wallet site.

How much is a license to use Metatrader legitimately? Traders are not going to bother to install a local node.

Around 100k... From what I hear you can buy a license from someone looking to sell theirs for much cheaper than buying from metaquotes.

Mt4 is a program that must be downloaded and installed on your computer, so I'm guessing anyone willing to install mt4 would probably be willing to install at least the light client for bts.  As long as both programs could be installed by the same installer seamlessly, I don't think it would be an issue.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
For this to be antifragile, the MT4 client would have to connect directly to bitshares wallet that you specify, preferably a locally installed full node. Otherwise the MT4 company would just go after the web wallet site.

How much is a license to use Metatrader legitimately? Traders are not going to bother to install a local node.

Offline monsterer

+5% for reaching out to them. Didn't even know cass was already working on it, wow

I'm pretty sure there's been some crossed wires in this thread. Cass appeared to be talking about a different company?
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
The orders are emulated clientside and only when client triggers order is it sent to server, thus bitshares doesnt need to know about buy sell stops or even stop loss take profit orders.
client also handles margin call which depends on leverage also done client sidr.. Although our blockchain has limited leverage

None of that can be true, otherwise your orders would never fill when the client wasn't running, and neither would you be margin called without the client running?
That's true! You are right. Trailing stops/EA's wont work offline but orders are put in by the broker and broker manages them in the market. So stop orders would need to be supported by the blockchain.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

Offline monsterer

The orders are emulated clientside and only when client triggers order is it sent to server, thus bitshares doesnt need to know about buy sell stops or even stop loss take profit orders.
client also handles margin call which depends on leverage also done client sidr.. Although our blockchain has limited leverage

None of that can be true, otherwise your orders would never fill when the client wasn't running, and neither would you be margin called without the client running?
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.

Offline ElMato

• View Profile
MT4 is a very nice platform , but i don't see reaching an agreement with metaquotes, despite the fact that their server is closed and the also protocol.

Looking at open alternatives i found.
www.eclipsetrader.org

It has many of the features of MT4, and you can extend it using java plugins.
I managed to compile it and run so i shoot an email to the creator to see if he is interested in supporting BitShares dex.

Another alternative. (Not open source, but maybe they are interested in promoting their sdk with giving away a client for BitShares dex)
http://www.m4platform.com/
(I haven't contact them)

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Metatrader4 is the defacto forex consumer trading platform http://www.metatrader4.com/en

The key feature of MT4 is the ability to buy, create and run your own trading bots - this is a massive source of liquidity and trading volume and there are vast libraries of such bots available on the metatrader marketplace https://www.mql5.com/en/market/mt4

There has been some discussion about how to integrate metatrader 4 with bitshares, and I have good experience of both platforms so I know what it will take. I've created this thread to open the discussion about how this might be achieved.

There are a few things to know about MT4 first:

1. This is a margin trading platform. You go long/short with your base currency as collateral in your desired market, and you always close your order with one of the opposite type, so if you buy, you must sell to close your position. This means you always end up back in the same currency you started out with.
2. There is typically leverage available, the amount varies depending on your broker
3. I *think* the available markets are hard coded into the platform, so you have to offer markets like EUR/USD, JPY/USD etc
4. The is no orderbook available to traders (this is a big negative point)
5. The spreads are typically denoted in Pips, which are fractions of a dollar (this is a bit of a sticking point for integration)
6. The metatrader 4 client side app communicates with the broker via a custom protocol - there would need to be a bitshares bridge server
7. Placing and cancelling limit orders is free
8. There are order types bitshares doesn't support right now, buy stop and sell stop which are resting orders which do not activate until the price reaches them (opposite way to regular limit orders)
9. Metatrader the corporation would almost certainly be opposed to this integration, so this would need to be done with no central point of failure in terms of legal ramifications

I propose something radical to address point 7, which is a huge point for existing MT4 users who would never accept having to pay for that: require a Proof of Work for placement and cancel orders, but have 0 transaction fee. That would prevent spam while costing no currency.

Point 8 could easily be addressed by adding these order types into the DEX.

In summary, I think it would be possible to integrate IF bitshares supported margin trading in a compatible way.

Cheers, Paul.

There doesnt have to be margin, its definable.

The list of symbols is not hardcodded that would be stupid. Its dynamic.

Pips are base movement and you can set to 4 or 5 decimal places (mpips).

There is market depth plugins available (look at fxpro).

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 05:10:21 pm by jsidhu »
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
 +5% +5% +5%  for Metatrader 4 support !

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
It would be great though if they made the cost 0 and just used the referral program to generate revenue.
It's their business decision to make .. but they are aware of that particular feature already and are calculating on it! .. We also agreed on the "useless-ness" of denoting the price for a software in BTC terms :)

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
Great Job Xeroc and Cass... these Haas and Margin will be great for bringing in traders to use the DEX.  The front end looks great for both products.  It would be great though if they made the cost 0 and just used the referral program to generate revenue.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
And I just made contact with the CEO of marginsoftware.com. They are VERY interested in BitShares in general and intend to implement BitShares aswell! They say great potential

+5% nice one .. but guess you mean www.marginsoftware.de, right?

.com is redirecting to a DPS
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
And I just made contact with the CEO of marginsoftware.com. They are VERY interested in BitShares in general and intend to implement BitShares aswell! They say great potential

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
i will also reach out to stephan (CEO - www.haasonline.com) - as i've talked with him months before about the possibilty of integration of BTS ..
and he seems to be principial interested. (i've worked with Stephan on bringing the first TradeBot GUI out in late 2013)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:50:53 pm by cass »
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█