Author Topic: bitshares wallet help  (Read 14649 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
@abit , do you know where i can get a copy of v0.4.24.1?  I found the link below but it doesn't go anywhere now...

https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/releases/tag/v0.4.24.1

thank you.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
ok i think the backup file might be from an older version as i'm not sure that i actually managed to run 0.9.1. 

Is there a way to tell from the file itself from what version it originated?
Do you remember when you made the backup? There is a compatibility issue with v0.4.25-rc2 and later version:
 https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-0.x/releases/tag/bts%2F0.4.25-rc2
Cannot import wallet backups made with previous versions
In this case, you can try to install v0.4.24.1 and import your backup, if succeeded,  install v0.9.3c directly and make a new backup.

I'm afraid I'm not sure which version the backup was from but it could have been that far back. I'll follow your instructions and let you know how it goes. I'm very grateful for the help.....so much of it has been offered to me so readily. Thank you.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
ok i think the backup file might be from an older version as i'm not sure that i actually managed to run 0.9.1. 

Do you remember when you made the backup? There is a compatibility issue with v0.4.25-rc2 and later version:
 https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-0.x/releases/tag/bts%2F0.4.25-rc2
Cannot import wallet backups made with previous versions
In this case, you can try to install v0.4.24.1 and import your backup, if succeeded,  install v0.9.3c directly and make a new backup.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
I am honestly thrilled to be able to ask for help and get it time and again.  You guys are bl00dy marvelous.

Ok, i'll try the steps again and if that fails, i'll PM Xeroc and hope he can help fix my backup file. Scary times!  ;D

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
I got the same error message.

Looking in the wallets folder, a new default folder was created.....there was nothing in it and nothing in the default-DoNotUse folder.

I'm sorry about this cube, thank you so much for your time.  Would there be any point in uninstalling 0.9.3 and running an older version of the Windows client....one that will accept the backup file?

The default folder is the wallet folder. Rename it to 'default-DoNotUse' and when you start up the client, it will create a new empty 'default folder'  (an empty wallet).  With an empty 'default' wallet, hopefully you can restore the backup.  bts0.9.3 is compatible with bts0.9.1 wallet.  There is no need to uninstall it and install an older version.

This may turn out to be a tedious process.  Another easier approach you may consider is using the full professional wallet recovery service from xeroc.

If you think we've reached the end of what we can do via your remote help, i will certainly consider it.  How does one engage with Xeroc's professional service?  Via forum pm?

Before I do, one last thing......I can handle tedious, i just don't like using up your time!. That said.  May we please have one last attempt to get me to do what is needed?

So to be absolutely clear.......

I turn on the laptop,
navigate to C:/Users/Ben Mason/AppData/Roaming/BitShares\Wallets\default
rename to C:/Users/Ben Mason/AppData/Roaming/BitShares\Wallets\default-DoNotUse
Then run the 0.9.3 bitshares client
Once it gets to the login screen, select import wallet...replace existing wallet.....type in password

If the above is correct and I get the same error message, what should I try after that?  Is there anything else or is it at this point I need Xeroc?

I am most happy to help you. I believe there are many others who would be glad to offer a helping hand too, as demonstrated by bhuz above.   If you are fine with this 'volunteer-help-as-we-go' process, we are fine too.

The above steps are correct.  If you still face problem after trying the steps, there may be some issues with the backup file.  Xeroc has helped people with 'problem' wallet file before. You may like to PM him and may need to show him part of the encrypted wallet file if required.

Ok, i'll try what Cube suggests and any further updates on that, then I'll try to reinstall 0.9.1 with the copied bts1 blockchain.  If that fails, i'll contact Xeroc.  Thank you Bhuz.

If you reinstall 0.9.1, you may not be able to use the downloaded blockchain as there may be incompatibility issues.  You may have to resync it from scratch.
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
If the above is correct and I get the same error message, what should I try after that?  Is there anything else or is it at this point I need Xeroc?

I think you could try to install an older version of the bitshares client and see if you can import the wallet there

Ok, i'll try what Cube suggests and any further updates on that, then I'll try to reinstall 0.9.1 with the copied bts1 blockchain.  If that fails, i'll contact Xeroc.  Thank you Bhuz.

Offline Bhuz

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bhuz

I think you could try to install an older version of the bitshares client and see if you can import the wallet there

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

Looking in the wallets folder, a new default folder was created.....there was nothing in it and nothing in the default-DoNotUse folder.

I'm sorry about this cube, thank you so much for your time.  Would there be any point in uninstalling 0.9.3 and running an older version of the Windows client....one that will accept the backup file?

The default folder is the wallet folder. Rename it to 'default-DoNotUse' and when you start up the client, it will create a new empty 'default folder'  (an empty wallet).  With an empty 'default' wallet, hopefully you can restore the backup.  bts0.9.3 is compatible with bts0.9.1 wallet.  There is no need to uninstall it and install an older version.

This may turn out to be a tedious process.  Another easier approach you may consider is using the full professional wallet recovery service from xeroc.

If you think we've reached the end of what we can do via your remote help, i will certainly consider it.  How does one engage with Xeroc's professional service?  Via forum pm?

Before I do, one last thing......I can handle tedious, i just don't like using up your time!. That said.  May we please have one last attempt to get me to do what is needed?

So to be absolutely clear.......

I turn on the laptop,
navigate to C:/Users/Ben Mason/AppData/Roaming/BitShares\Wallets\default
rename to C:/Users/Ben Mason/AppData/Roaming/BitShares\Wallets\default-DoNotUse
Then run the 0.9.3 bitshares client
Once it gets to the login screen, select import wallet...replace existing wallet.....type in password

Offline cube

• View Profile

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

Offline cube

• View Profile
they are no longer there....so I need to import the backup.  Am I doing it correctly using import wallet?

as long as i have the backup.json are my keys and funds safe?

Yes, they are. Do the import then.

I've tried several times and each time i get the error failed to restore.......etc

Failed to restore wallet backup.  Your original wallet has been restored. Error: boost::filesystem::remove: The directory is not empty: "C:/Users/Ben Mason/AppData/Roaming/BitShares\Wallets\default" (13)

Rename your wallet file to something else:

Rename "C:/Users/Ben Mason/AppData/Roaming/BitShares\Wallets\default"  to  "C:/Users/Ben Mason/AppData/Roaming/BitShares\Wallets\default-DoNotUse" before import.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
they are no longer there....so I need to import the backup.  Am I doing it correctly using import wallet?

I've tried several times and each time i get the error failed to restore.......etc

Failed to restore wallet backup.  Your original wallet has been restored. Error: boost::filesystem::remove: The directory is not empty: "C:/Users/Ben Mason/AppData/Roaming/BitShares\Wallets\default" (13)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 07:40:12 pm by Ben Mason »

Offline cube

• View Profile