Author Topic: bitshares wallet help  (Read 14656 times)

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
they are no longer there....so I need to import the backup.  Am I doing it correctly using import wallet?

as long as i have the backup.json are my keys and funds safe?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:24:48 pm by Ben Mason »

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube

the previous version looks like it was 0.9.1, therefore the backup was produced from that version.

I attempted to restore the backup in 0.9.3 by;

selecting file
selecting import wallet
selecting the backup file
answering yes to replacing the existing wallet
typing the password

I haven't been able to make any transactions since 0.9.1 so all I need is to be able to import all my keys to 2.0.......am i right in thinking i still need to produce a new backup file from within the 0.9.3 client?

If you are installing 0.9.3 bts over 0.9.1 bts, you need not restore any backup since 0.9.3 is compatible with 0.9.1 and it can use the older wallet version.  Did you try going into the wallet after upgrading to 0.9.3?  If your accounts and balances are there, you can export your keys out (http://docs.bitshares.eu/bitshares/migration/howto-exporting-wallet.html and using the wallet console) to be imported into a bts2 web wallet (http://docs.bitshares.eu/bitshares/migration/howto-importing-wallet.html).

ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
I've run 0.9.3 but the application won't start.  Are there some folders i need to remove before reinstalling 0.9.3 to give it a better chance?  Thank you.

I'm on windows 7 64bit

The startup takes awhile, especially if you have low RAM. How much RAM do you have?

4 GB  3.47 GB is useable and physical available is about 1.9 GB

I let it run for a few hours but there was no system activity so i figured it had simply stalled....

I did not uninstall any previous versions before instaling and running 0.9.3.  Could that be part of the issue?

Thanks very much cube

There is probably lack of a seed node.  You can try download the bts1 blockchain and replace your current empty one.  So instead of syncing with seed nodes and other peer nodes, you copy over the entire blockchain.

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18885.msg243155.html#msg243155

Open the Windows Explorer and go to %appdata%\Bitshares

Quit bts0.9.3 if you are running it.  Extract all the files into this folder.  Run the bts0.9.3 client and do a 'scan' at the console.

Ok I followed the instructions and this time made it to the login screen.....so brilliant thank you.

However, when i attempted to import my wallet backup .json file,  the client produces an error message,;

Failed to restore wallet backup.  Your original wallet has been resored. Error: boost::filesystem::remove: The directory is not empty: "C:/Users/Ben Mason/AppData/Roaming/BitShares\Wallets\default" (13)

I'm sure my password and backup file are correct.  Wow this is trick and nerve-jangling for someone as none techi as me!  ;D

A bit more information would help.

Before you installed 0.9.3 bts client, did you have an earlier version of bts client installed?  What was the version?

How did you produce the backup.json file? What was the wallet version that you used to produce the backup.json file?  How did you restore the backup.json file (describe step-by-step)?

the previous version looks like it was 0.9.1, therefore the backup was produced from that version.

I attempted to restore the backup in 0.9.3 by;

selecting file
selecting import wallet
selecting the backup file
answering yes to replacing the existing wallet
typing the password

I haven't been able to make any transactions since 0.9.1 so all I need is to be able to import all my keys to 2.0.......am i right in thinking i still need to produce a new backup file from within the 0.9.3 client?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 05:29:17 pm by Ben Mason »

Offline cube

• View Profile
I've run 0.9.3 but the application won't start.  Are there some folders i need to remove before reinstalling 0.9.3 to give it a better chance?  Thank you.

I'm on windows 7 64bit

The startup takes awhile, especially if you have low RAM. How much RAM do you have?

I let it run for a few hours but there was no system activity so i figured it had simply stalled....

I did not uninstall any previous versions before instaling and running 0.9.3.  Could that be part of the issue?

Thanks very much cube

There is probably lack of a seed node.  You can try download the bts1 blockchain and replace your current empty one.  So instead of syncing with seed nodes and other peer nodes, you copy over the entire blockchain.

Quit bts0.9.3 if you are running it.  Extract all the files into this folder.  Run the bts0.9.3 client and do a 'scan' at the console.

Ok I followed the instructions and this time made it to the login screen.....so brilliant thank you.

However, when i attempted to import my wallet backup .json file,  the client produces an error message,;

Failed to restore wallet backup.  Your original wallet has been resored. Error: boost::filesystem::remove: The directory is not empty: "C:/Users/Ben Mason/AppData/Roaming/BitShares\Wallets\default" (13)

I'm sure my password and backup file are correct.  Wow this is trick and nerve-jangling for someone as none techi as me!  ;D

A bit more information would help.

Before you installed 0.9.3 bts client, did you have an earlier version of bts client installed?  What was the version?

How did you produce the backup.json file? What was the wallet version that you used to produce the backup.json file?  How did you restore the backup.json file (describe step-by-step)?

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

I'm on windows 7 64bit

Thanks very much cube

Offline cube

• View Profile

I'm on windows 7 64bit

Thanks very much cube

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
I left the app trying to start for hours so don't think it's that.....

Any suggestions most welcome....

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

I'm on windows 7 64bit

Thanks very much cube
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 02:41:07 pm by Ben Mason »

Offline cube

• View Profile

I'm on windows 7 64bit

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

I'm on windows 7 64bit
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 01:47:36 pm by Ben Mason »

Offline btstip

• View Profile
  • BitShares: btstip-io
Hey Tuck Fheman, here are the results of your tips...
Curious about BtsTip? Visit us at http://sharebits.io and start tipping BTS on https://bitsharestalk.org/ today!
Created by hybridd

Tuck Fheman

Thanks Tuck Fheman

#sharebits "mbaeichapareiko" 1 FISTBUMP

Offline mbaeichapareiko

• View Profile
Thanks Tuck Fheman,

noted on link:  https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-0.x/releases

Bitshares rocks.  Good news.  was able to log onto bitsharesx older wallet and saw had an order for bitgold that expired from last year.  haha. 
Hope to be up and running with v2 soon!

Tuck Fheman

Thanks for quick reply Xeroc

*You will need to install Bitshares 0.9.3c first and create a newer backup (all without syncing if you see your funds in your accounts)*
^^^^^^^^Copy that ^^^^^^^^

ok,  looking for Bitshares 0.9.3c

https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-0.x/releases

Offline mbaeichapareiko

• View Profile
Thanks for quick reply Xeroc

*You will need to install Bitshares 0.9.3c first and create a newer backup (all without syncing if you see your funds in your accounts)*
^^^^^^^^Copy that ^^^^^^^^

ok,  looking for Bitshares 0.9.3c