Author Topic: bitshares wallet help  (Read 14655 times)

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Is there any reason why v0.9.3c would not open?  I installed as suggested and the client screen has been showing 'starting BitShares' for many hours now.  I've tried restarting the application but its the same result.

I may just be being impatient!  But thought it worth checking.....
So you need to try the steps described in page 1 of this thread.
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20197.msg260405.html#msg260405
(Looks like you've tried it last time with a success, now try again.)

After opened, you may need to try the steps in this post https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20822.0.html

Ahhh ok, gotcha.  Thanks again.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
Be patient...it is working on the MAS.

If you want it anytime before that.... you "  need to learn how to get organized, find talent (developers), and fund development of the projects they want to see developed. This is your problem,"

I suggest that you not let the outspoken shareholders hold you hostage. They claim you are holding them hostage, but that couldn't be further from  They need to learn how to get organized, find talent (developers), and fund development of the projects they want to see developed. This is their problem,the truth. not yours alone (or CNX's), and it is better they learn how to properly use Bitshares' features now rather than later. Let them organize the projects, find developers, fund them, etc... to build out the features as they want them built. It will be a good lesson for the community and a proof of concept of sorts for Bitshares' features. They need to learn nothing is free and to stop being so cheap. The first independent developer thread has started and they're already talking about outsourcing the work overseas to some quasi sweatshop worker that will work for $5 a hour... let them learn the hard way.

You were right to deduce that your time will be better spent working on MAS than the DEX. Your idea of mutual aid societies will have a much bigger effect on the Bitshares token price than "finishing" the DEX will. MAS has no competition in the cryptosphere... the DEX has AT LEAST 4 competing projects fighting over a small and limited user base (most of which has already made up their minds one way or the other about Bitshares.) Swing for the fences. These guys can't see your vision right now and how much more lucrative it is than "finishing" the DEX, but they will be thanking you a year from now if you push on with your MAS idea and the user base expands exponentially because of such (along with the value of the BTS token and ironically the liquidity/volume of the DEX.) The PR alone from this will be worth its weight in bitGOLD.

+5%
+5%

Touche` !  Kick a man when he's down why don't you....  ;D

You are brilliant tonyk, but brilliance can blind.  Just kidding....about the blind bit.  I still believe MAS type experiments are the right way to go for BM and BitShares.......i'm very happy that it will occur in the manner BM described within his Q1 roadmap for CNX.  Are you happy with that?

you "  need to learn how to get organized, find talent (developers), and fund development of the projects they want to see developed. This is your problem,"

I happen to agree with this statement.  It is a simple statement of fact.  If the bit at the end has a dismissive tone, it's possibly the result of people freaking out when BM says something.  If you can't see how much he cares about this project and it's success, i refer you back to the blind thing above. 

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Is there any reason why v0.9.3c would not open?  I installed as suggested and the client screen has been showing 'starting BitShares' for many hours now.  I've tried restarting the application but its the same result.

So you need to try the steps described in page 1 of this thread.
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20197.msg260405.html#msg260405
(Looks like you've tried it last time with a success, now try again.)

After opened, you may need to try the steps in this post https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20822.0.html
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Be patient...it is working on the MAS.

If you want it anytime before that.... you "  need to learn how to get organized, find talent (developers), and fund development of the projects they want to see developed. This is your problem,"

I suggest that you not let the outspoken shareholders hold you hostage. They claim you are holding them hostage, but that couldn't be further from  They need to learn how to get organized, find talent (developers), and fund development of the projects they want to see developed. This is their problem,the truth. not yours alone (or CNX's), and it is better they learn how to properly use Bitshares' features now rather than later. Let them organize the projects, find developers, fund them, etc... to build out the features as they want them built. It will be a good lesson for the community and a proof of concept of sorts for Bitshares' features. They need to learn nothing is free and to stop being so cheap. The first independent developer thread has started and they're already talking about outsourcing the work overseas to some quasi sweatshop worker that will work for $5 a hour... let them learn the hard way.

You were right to deduce that your time will be better spent working on MAS than the DEX. Your idea of mutual aid societies will have a much bigger effect on the Bitshares token price than "finishing" the DEX will. MAS has no competition in the cryptosphere... the DEX has AT LEAST 4 competing projects fighting over a small and limited user base (most of which has already made up their minds one way or the other about Bitshares.) Swing for the fences. These guys can't see your vision right now and how much more lucrative it is than "finishing" the DEX, but they will be thanking you a year from now if you push on with your MAS idea and the user base expands exponentially because of such (along with the value of the BTS token and ironically the liquidity/volume of the DEX.) The PR alone from this will be worth its weight in bitGOLD.

+5%
+5%
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
what @bit said .. plus once imported into openledger:

- make a BACKUP again! (just to be on the save side)

ha ha, absolutely!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
what @bit said .. plus once imported into openledger:

- make a BACKUP again! (just to be on the save side)

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
Wow! v0.5.0 client ran successfully and I was able to import my backup!  Picture a big ginger bearded baldy skipping around the house, kissing inanimate objects and dancing with anyone that gets in the way....thank you so much for all the help and especially your persistence @xeroc , @cube  & @abit !!

So i really want to get this next bit right.  Please correct me if i'm wrong;

Delete the Bitshares folder in roaming
uninstall v0.5.0

install v0.9.3c
run v0.9.3c
import new v0.5.0 backup file
export new v0.9.3c backup file
import new v0.9.3c backup file into openledger

Is that right?
My suggestions as above.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
Wow! v0.5.0 client ran successfully and I was able to import my backup!  Picture a big ginger bearded baldy skipping around the house, kissing inanimate objects and dancing with anyone that gets in the way....thank you so much for all the help and especially your persistence @xeroc , @cube  & @abit !!

So i really want to get this next bit right.  Please correct me if i'm wrong;

Delete the Bitshares folder in roaming
uninstall v0.5.0
install v0.9.3c
run v0.9.3c
import new v0.5.0 backup file
export new v0.9.3c backup file
import new v0.9.3c backup file into openledger

Is that right?

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
Mabye the backup file has been created with an older version and is no incompatible with 0.4.24.1 .. try something in the 0.5.x series https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-0.x/releases/
ok on it....ta

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Mabye the backup file has been created with an older version and is no incompatible with 0.4.24.1 .. try something in the 0.5.x series https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-0.x/releases/

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
That worked!  However, when i attempt to import my backup, i get the following message

Failed to restore wallet backup. Your original wallet has been restored.  Error: key Not Found (6)
Key delegate_slate_id
Type: bts::blockchain::deposit_operation

The backup is a .json file...is that compatible with v0.4.24.1?

I am certain that my password is correct but that error message doesn't look good  :'(  Am i fooked?

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
I can't get v0.4.24.1 to run so that i can import my backup.  Every time i try to open the application it crashes immediately.  Any ideas?  Boy do i wish i'd started this adventure on a Mac!
Some options:
* rename the %APPDATA%/Bitshares folder to something else and run again
* uninstall previous installed version, then rename the %APPDATA%/Bitshares folder, reinstall, run again
* try an earlier version, E.G. https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-0.x/releases/tag/bts%2F0.4.24

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
I can't get v0.4.24.1 to run so that i can import my backup.  Every time i try to open the application it crashes immediately.  Any ideas?  Boy do i wish i'd started this adventure on a Mac!