Author Topic: Censorship is a sign of weakness  (Read 5761 times)

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Censorship is a sign of weakness
« on: December 10, 2015, 08:29:13 am »
Coming from thread https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20452.0.html

Let's discuss and review the fate of lzr1900 as toast and tuck fheman disagree with the forum ban I requested.

My reasons for requesting the ban...

If I was the regular subject of someone's vulgarity and slander, I wouldn't like it.....the way sand flies can interfere with ones enjoyment of a beautiful beach.
Potential for reputational damage both to the subject and community.
Everyone has standards for communication they expect to be adhered to.....for instance, if one were to threaten a community member, I'm sure that would result in a ban.
If there were a thousand lzr1900's, would ignoring them be an effective strategy? Or if the frequency of vulgar and slanderous comments was even higher?
Lzr1900's comments, at least in part, are an attempt to censor the subject.

I certainly do not advocate for the censorship of any kind of discussion, debate, journalism, revelation of truth, disagreement, conflicting ideas etc. I do however advocate for upholding lzr1900's ban. He has had plenty of opportunities to air his sentiments and enough is enough. Why should a valued member of the community have his engagement on the forum continually contaminated by lzr1900's vitriol?

A case of censorship should be reviewed as it is a serious restriction of freedom.....but any sane person should realise that we must all restrict our freedoms when there is the possibility of affecting others. It is what give us the potential to live in harmony.  Courtesy is an exceptional means of finding the right balance.  I hope this community continues to represent the higher ideal of freedom but is also able to foster a culture of respectful interactions.

Finally, he can always create another account and perhaps engage with the community more constructively.

Offline fav

• Administrator
  • No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
Re: Censorship is a sign of weakness
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 08:33:04 am »
I can assure you he was already banned before you requested it.

Offline onceuponatime

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 08:55:18 pm »
He repeatedly violated the Terms of Service that he agreed to in order to use this forum.
I think he should have been banned quite some time ago. I am against censorship of ideas or discussion or criticism. But quite often his posts were none of those. They were verbal violence against another Forum participant.

"You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum."

Tuck Fheman

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 10:13:13 pm »
but any sane person should realise

I'm offended by your comment.

I request that Ben Mason be banned.

38PTSWarrior

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 10:52:31 pm »
lzr1900, my first voter. He has passion. Dogs who bark don't bite. 

https://youtu.be/eoczPLLagns

« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 10:59:31 pm by 38PTSWarrior »

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 11:10:10 pm »
but any sane person should realise

I'm offended by your comment.

I request that Ben Mason be banned.

You've lifted part of a non personal comment that is absent any vulgarity or slander and are judging me more harshly than lzr1900.....given the number of his comments?  Your singular point being that anyone can be offended by anything, therefore we cannot set and enforce any standards for communication.  I think this is a lazy argument.  First, the argument throws any victim of abuse under the proverbial bus. Second, its perfectly possible to apply reason to each situation, allow for extenuating circumstances or reconciliation. Third, I hope that there exists a majority who's ideas of communication have a great deal of commonality, grounded in freedom & courtesy.....there's a great deal of evidence of that being the case in the pages of this forum!

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 11:33:33 pm »
good, one less annoying person to worry about around here.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 11:40:59 pm »
Not a matter of censorship, just cleaning up the conversation and keeping things civil. He was just posting hateful profanity and blindly venting his frustrations. It had been months since he'd added any value to the conversation. If he'd said anything useful (even if I'd disagreed with it), then I also would have argued to keep him on. That was not the case.

He'll be back, but for now, good riddance.

Offline GaltReport

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 12:05:55 am »
He repeatedly violated the Terms of Service that he agreed to in order to use this forum.
I think he should have been banned quite some time ago. I am against censorship of ideas or discussion or criticism. But quite often his posts were none of those. They were verbal violence against another Forum participant.

"You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum."
+5%
I used to moderate a popular JTV channel...so many abusive and threatening people complaining about "censorship".  I always told them that they are free to say what they want on their own channel.  Don't come to my channel and expect to piss on me and my guests!! 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:14:20 am by GaltReport »

Tuck Fheman

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 12:11:40 am »
"But teh rulez!"

such anarchy.

Hey, did you guys vote for stealth transactions?

Offline onceuponatime

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 12:19:42 am »
"But teh rulez!"

such anarchy.

What is your understanding of "anarachy"?

Offline yvv

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 12:24:59 am »
Censorship is a sign of weakness

No. It is just a common sense. If a community is pissed off by behavior of one  member, ban the bastard. What's a problem with this? You don't cut his head, you just suggest to find another place to piss people off. I was banned from about 100 different forums, for different reasons, and look, I feel ok. I have thousands more ways to express my freedom of speech.

Disclosure: I was never personally pissed by the banned guy. I don't know him, and don't really care if he is banned or not. If mods are so kind, go ahead and unban him. :)

Tuck Fheman

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 12:26:13 am »
"But teh rulez!"

such anarchy.

What is your understanding of "anarachy"?

No rulers.

Stop picking my jokes apart man. :P

You know the point I'm making, stop being so "PC bro".

I can't believe you dudes started a whole new thread to do this in or even that you're doing it in the first place, on a fucking cryptocurrency forum of all places.

Grow a set, all of you.

BTW, you spelled anarchy wrong.  :P

Tuck Fheman

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 12:52:49 am »
so many abusive and threatening people complaining about "censorship"

Yeah [member=4308]toast[/member] stawp being so abusive!  :P

Tuck Fheman

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 01:54:13 am »
If a community is pissed off by behavior of one  member, ban the bastard.

Well I don't think "the community" had any say, just a few individuals, but I'm sure you can rouse up some support for your comment or at least enough to make it seem legit. ;)