Author Topic: how about to raise block reward?  (Read 37337 times)

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
the poll ended, finally totally 20 for increasing to 3/5/8 BTS, 9 object and 2 for other choices.
now I tend to push 4 BTS as a compromise. hope that can be accepted by all the parties.

could you increase the network fees too?

I mean, chinese exchanges introduced trading fees, so chinese community should have no problem with adjusted fees, right?

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcrab
  • GitHub: bitcrab
the poll ended, finally totally 20 for increasing to 3/5/8 BTS, 9 object and 2 for other choices.
now I tend to push 4 BTS as a compromise. hope that can be accepted by all the parties.
Email:bitcrab@qq.com

Offline Pheonike

I've been running a witness node almost since the beginning of BTS-2, and I'm against increasing witness rewards at this time. The cost for running a sufficiently reliable node (or two) is covered by the rewards, even taking some hands-on time into account. I hope this will change in the future (meaning more network load), and if the BTS exchange rate does not rise along with its utilization we should talk about raising rewards, but not now.

I am, however, strongly in favour of separating the role of block producer from the role of submitting price feeds. As others have pointed out, running a reliable server requires different kinds of expertise than providing a "correct" (whatever that may be) feed.

Is it assumed that running a witness is a single person job? Is there some rule that says only one person can run one?

Offline Thom

I've been running a witness node almost since the beginning of BTS-2, and I'm against increasing witness rewards at this time. The cost for running a sufficiently reliable node (or two) is covered by the rewards, even taking some hands-on time into account. I hope this will change in the future (meaning more network load), and if the BTS exchange rate does not rise along with its utilization we should talk about raising rewards, but not now.

I am, however, strongly in favour of separating the role of block producer from the role of submitting price feeds. As others have pointed out, running a reliable server requires different kinds of expertise than providing a "correct" (whatever that may be) feed.

Thank you pc, I was beginning to think I was the only one with that perspective. I voted to increase rewards to 5BTS / block, but then I run 4 nodes. If you only run 1 I agree 1.5BTS / block is adequate. However, such a setup will be vulnerable to increased missed blocks and possibly more down time if a --replay-blockchain is ever required, which is guaranteed from time to time, if only to install a new version of the witness code. Therefore given the current nature of the code I believe running 2 nodes is a bare minimum configuration, and warrants an increase to 3BTS / block.

Also, keep in mind we're pushing the limits of a 4GB RAM vps right now, and users and use of the DEX is on the rise, so an increase now is warranted IMO.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano

Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline Chronos

I agree that witnesses should be paid more. They should be compensated well for the security they provide to the network.

I voted for a doubling (3 BTS), because that's already a huge change, and we can always change it again in the future.

Offline R

• View Profile
We should be holding such a poll using followmyvote's tech + the BTS asset, rather than a manipulatable forum poll.

I object to witnesses being paid more. If developers/witnesses wish to be paid for developing some new service, they should raise a worker proposal.

I think that witness votes should degrade over time so that witnesses have to regularly campaign for their positions (or at least acknowledge the community's existence every once in a while) & to provide new prospective witnesses the ability to be voted into power.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Interesting discussion about the witness pay. I would like to see the following:

• A financial breakdown how the witness pay increase will influence worker budgets
  • Leasson learned from high Witness Pay on Steemit
  • Active Witness Screening - Who is a "lazy" Witness? (Gchicken?)
  • Recruit excited Witnesses here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1708476.0

As Committee Member I am supporting an increase in Witness Pay when we can define a clearer standard how witnesses should operate. Tools like Steemit could be used to showcase "lazy" witnesses and earn reward money for the research. I want to avoid to cut worker budget to pay more for lazy witnesses.

That also the BitShares community needs to come together and help us with creating a healthy network. The Graphene chain competition will force us all to react.

Additionally I will bring up this topic on the next BitShares Mumble on Friday for open discussion.

What is this? Moonstone has launched it's own graphene chain? Hmmm...
If I'm correct it's another guy used the similar name for that project.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline Thom

Interesting discussion about the witness pay. I would like to see the following:

• A financial breakdown how the witness pay increase will influence worker budgets
  • Recruit excited Witnesses here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1708476.0

As Committee Member I am supporting an increase in Witness Pay when we can define a clearer standard how witnesses should operate. Tools like Steemit could be used to showcase "lazy" witnesses and earn reward money for the research. I want to avoid to cut worker budget to pay more for lazy witnesses.

That also the BitShares community needs to come together and help us with creating a healthy network. The Graphene chain competition will force us all to react.

Additionally I will bring up this topic on the next BitShares Mumble on Friday for open discussion.

What is this? Moonstone has launched it's own graphene chain? Hmmm...
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Pheonike

I agree with raising the pay. It will encourage witnesses to be more attune to what is needed. It also will increase competition by forcing witnesses to bring more skills to the table. Having witnesses with higher technical skills is win and can take some of burden off worker program which seems we can't get right.  We have a functioning worker program with witnesses, just incentives it more. People who do the bare minimum will start being voted out.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile

as a proxy I hope the witnesses can
1.generate blocks stably, this is basic task.
2.feed price, at least for BitCNY and BitUSD.
3.feed price with high quality, for example, the problem described at https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23607.0.html should be avoided

if the block pay can be increased, I will regard the witnesses that could not fulfill above standard as "lazy" or "not qualified" and unvote.

Offline Chris4210

• Keep Building!
    • View Profile
    • www.payger.com
  • BitShares: chris4210

Vote Chris4210 for Committee Member http://bit.ly/1WKC03B! | www.Payger.com - Payments + Messenger | www.BitShareshub.io - Community based fanpage for the BitShares Blockchain

Offline Thom

I agree with the sentiments of the OP, and DSN has made some very good points too.

I'm seeing the increase in traffic, and the demand for better / more reliable feeds. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all of us witnesses are relying on free feed data sources. Perhaps witnesses need to consider subscribing to paid services for feed data. I have no idea what the cost of that would be, but one thing's for sure we've seen much unreliability of various sources like yahoo and yunbi. We also need to be sensitive to what the expectations of the Chinese community are regarding feed prices and sources.

Using paid services for feed data does come with some risk however. It's important to make sure we maintain as much diversity of sources as we can, and not be at the mercy of a centralized source to provide price data.

We in the west think in terms of "free market competition" as a means of keeping different sources accurate. I'm not sure how well that works in the Chinese market or how much influence their government has in price accuracy. It may be similar to our situation with the precious metals markets here in the US, as we know how manipulated they are as well. Precious metals prices here don't really reflect what the free market wants them to be, hence many refuse to sell at such artificially low prices.

Is that the same in China, or are prices closer to buyers and sellers expectations?

I'll say this for the record: if witness pay is increased, even if only by 2X I will put the entire increase into server upgrades and possibly a paid feed source. I also recognize I need to take on more python coding if nothing more than to stay on top of this feed issue and lessen my dependence on wackou's bts tools. They're great, but he has his hands full with family and steem, and publishing and documenting his changes to his tools aren't always a priority which puts me at a disadvantage. I need to be more proactive about that.

I also see the interest and demand for the BitShares DEX on the rise. I've been waiting for such signs. Activity has stagnated, mostly due to the excitement of steem's arrival. Now that is smoothing out and with the political pressure increasing on the Chinese front along with the global push to rid the planet of cash,  we need to be more attentive to changes in demand on the DEX.

Another thing we all need to be aware of is that once PeerPlays launches there will be even more demand for capable witnesses which will increase competition for talent. I suspect PP witness roles will not only be more demanding but will also be more lucrative. I am very anxious to finally learn the details so I can make a decision on whether to put my hat in the ring on PeerPlays. I only hope we're given adequate time from when the info is provided to when PP wants to launch. I HATE last minute rush jobs.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I agree that the wage of witness now is too low, but I suggest that the income should be adjusted automatically according to the current network load, say"work more, get more".

This would be very bad. Very easy to setup bots that would artificially flood the network to increase rewards. The incentive to do so is aligned and it could be completely anonymous.

We already have the committee capable of making adjustments as needed. At present that is our most efficient means to adjust reward rates.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
I agree that the wage of witness now is too low, but I suggest that the income should be adjusted automatically according to the current network load, say"work more, get more".

step by step, we may need to use some criteria other than load - maybe mainly how well it feed price -  to evaluate one witness' performance, it's not easy to do this automatically, we may need to rely on the voting to keep the witnesses who do job well active.