Author Topic: NXT online wallet  (Read 19758 times)

Offline JoeyD

Yes, NXT still has not released any recent source code.  If you would like to look at the code of the AE then AFAIK you are shit out of luck.  (Yes you can decompile it, but one can decompile *ANY* code and that doesn't make it open source.)  Please correct me if wrong.  Atcually I'm not sure how the alternative wallets were made ?  Off published spec?  Anyone know ?

As much as the open source model hurts some, it has come to be expected in crypto-currency world.  Anyone should be able to see why...

NXT's DACs are not DACs by any stretch.  Remove the A and it would be a far closer fit.  I applaud them for that direction, but there is nothing autonomous that I see.
What are you for real, nxt still hasn't opensourced their code?

I admit I didn't look into it, but there was this big announcement and hubbub on the bitcointalk-thread how they had finally released all source-code with 3 major flaws and a bounty for the person who could find them. In the crypto-currency/equity-world for me open-source is fundamental even-though I'm just a white belt in code-fu and I would not be able to find any real flaws, I'd still advise anyone against trusting in security through obscurity. After Snowden that security model has been definitively proven as flawed and unusable. I figured I'd give nxt a little time and see how it would stand up to the scrutiny of the usual peer-review process, but if it is not open-source it should be avoided like the bubonic plague.

EDIT
Very odd though, because bluemeanie was raging on bitcointalk about how Ethereum wasn't opensource and hadn't released any of the real important code proving that their design and security could work.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:40:11 pm by JoeyD »

Offline cryptkeeper

• View Profile
I don't know but I'm done I wash my hands of NXT.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
back to zero balance again wow. i'm glad I didn't invest a lot.

Wait what ?  How could it be ?

And people blame Dan for taking time to test !!

If the BCNext guy wrote most of the code before asking for donations then that was the smartest move of them all.  Does anyone know which forum that thread is on ?
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Yes, NXT still has not released any recent source code.  If you would like to look at the code of the AE then AFAIK you are shit out of luck.  (Yes you can decompile it, but one can decompile *ANY* code and that doesn't make it open source.)  Please correct me if wrong.  Atcually I'm not sure how the alternative wallets were made ?  Off published spec?  Anyone know ?

As much as the open source model hurts some, it has come to be expected in crypto-currency world.  Anyone should be able to see why...

NXT's DACs are not DACs by any stretch.  Remove the A and it would be a far closer fit.  I applaud them for that direction, but there is nothing autonomous that I see.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:02:25 pm by gamey »

Offline cryptkeeper

• View Profile
back to zero balance again wow. i'm glad I didn't invest a lot.

Offline JoeyD

While I like some aspects of nxt, like being completely new code instead of a standard copy-coin, new PoS and other such things. The two things that kept me from going all the way, were the unwillingness to publish the source code at the start and then when they finally open-sourced it the nonsense with the terminal bugs being left in. I also think they went a bit beyond pseudo-/anonymity over into odd secretive and non-communicative territory.  I've been to busy lately to keep track of the latest developments and only have time to post once in a while on any of the forums, but the lack of openness and clarity around the source-code has kept me hesitant.

EDIT
Thanks for the link Delulo and I agree with you that their concept of a DAC is a bit odd. It actually doesn't sound distributed at all, more like a standard centralized one, with decentralized administration and stockholder-tracking. Odd, because I've read some post by bluemeanie on bitcointalk and he did sound like a guy who understood the concepts over there.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:33:55 pm by JoeyD »

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
NXT is constantly releasing wallets because their network isn't stable.  It is hard to judge who is a winner by any stretch.

As far as the OP, I do know there are guys who have hashed phrase dictionaries and are waiting on the NXT network.  If a weak wallet appears they will jump in and transfer the NXT out within 1 minute.  It happened to me a few months ago when I made a test wallet with my real full name (Against the warnings of the wallet..).  Within 2 minutes, there was a blockchain transaction removing the money.  Actually I don't recall the timeframe exactly, and it didn't matter,  as I thought it was quite funny and wrote it off as a lesson learned. 

BTW I thought Bitshares was more about creating a DAC toolkit foundation, not trying to make the next cryptocurrency.  It is interesting how the expectations of users vary on here.
I guess you could build DACs using the NXT code as well. But asaik they have a bit a different understanding of DAC: https://nxtforum.org/nxt-improvement-proposals/virtual-corporations-on-nxt/?PHPSESSID=6dq4o5dfi7t1av12usj02t3nu1

Offline gamey

• View Profile
NXT is constantly releasing wallets because their network isn't stable.  It is hard to judge who is a winner by any stretch.

As far as the OP, I do know there are guys who have hashed phrase dictionaries and are waiting on the NXT network.  If a weak wallet appears they will jump in and transfer the NXT out within 1 minute.  It happened to me a few months ago when I made a test wallet with my real full name (Against the warnings of the wallet..).  Within 2 minutes, there was a blockchain transaction removing the money.  Actually I don't recall the timeframe exactly, and it didn't matter,  as I thought it was quite funny and wrote it off as a lesson learned. 

BTW I thought Bitshares was more about creating a DAC toolkit foundation, not trying to make the next cryptocurrency.  It is interesting how the expectations of users vary on here.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:02:12 pm by gamey »

Offline fuzzy

NXT is a solid tech, but "clear winner" here is difficult to agree with.  Since when did our culture get so impatient?  If early investors in bitcoin would have been so impatient it would have never gained any value...instead it took 5 years for Bitcoin to become what it is today.

Patience? What you are waiting for is quite possible just a litecoin with bitcoin already out there. NXT AE is online, and BTS is still struggling on the test of the test network. If AE and BTS ME is doing similar job, apparently NXT IS the winner. Who know NXT won't push a project similar to BTS X in a month?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody knows...that is the point I'm making. 
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline mitao

• View Profile

NXT is a solid tech, but "clear winner" here is difficult to agree with.  Since when did our culture get so impatient?  If early investors in bitcoin would have been so impatient it would have never gained any value...instead it took 5 years for Bitcoin to become what it is today.

Patience? What you are waiting for is quite possible just a litecoin with bitcoin already out there. NXT AE is online, and BTS is still struggling on the test of the test network. If AE and BTS ME is doing similar job, apparently NXT IS the winner. Who know NXT won't push a project similar to BTS X in a month?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

NXT is clear winner. Bytemaster can't deliver with thousands of BTC what NXT did with 21. It's simple amazing.

Sad .. but true

Let's be a little bit more patience and wait to make the comparison when the "product" is out...

+5%

Offline fuzzy

NXT is clear winner. Bytemaster can't deliver with thousands of BTC what NXT did with 21. It's simple amazing.

Sad .. but true

Let's be a little bit more patience and wait to make the comparison when the "product" is out...

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Sad .. but true

PS I think it is good that the barriers are high... we must put them "only" higher... would it be not a benefit for all of us?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 12:35:46 pm by liondani »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Sad .. but true

Offline gaba

• View Profile