Author Topic: Non-Technical Delegates of the World Unite!  (Read 13043 times)

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Correct me if I'm wrong but a delegate's job is to sign messages. Nothing less, nothing more. A cell phone could do that. My point is a micro instance can totally do it, and it costs like what $15/mo? AWS instance would be much more likely to be always on, compared to my home internet, which goes out once in awhile.

Another reason I offer AWS is because it is extremely easy for someone to create an image, that then others can just fire up, may be edit a single file and reboot. This discussion is about bringing non-technical delegates on-board. Even if it is just 5 lines, it's never that simple, unless you use the exact same version for everything. Even then, sometimes you do an update and you get the wrong library linking mixed up, stuff doesn't compile. I'm advanced user so I can recover from these things, but it is very discouraging for the non-technical fellas.

Offline metalallen

• View Profile
As a non-technical guy, I'm looking forward it.
浮壹白的微博:http://weibo.com/u/2279693077
BTSX Account:metalallen

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Sometimes they have TOS against "mining" FYI

only when your miner runs 100% cpu continuously... our nodes hardly compare even to normal web servers they are hosting
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I'll admit I have not joined the effort as a delegate. However I would be interested in joining with the intention of building tools that make it easier for non-technical folks.

Also I'm thinking about ability to do nice monitoring features too - e.g. "is my node alive and well?"

What I would suggest is for Bytemaster to setup a node in AWS (Amazon Web Services) and make an image that then is easy to configure for each delegate.

Then all a delegate needs to do is fire up an instance with that public image, and then configuration of a private key should be MUCH easier, than trying to compile the whole thing from scratch.

Just my 2 cents. That's how I would go about it.

If people stick with the recommended version of linux and Bitshares devs make sure it compiles out of the box (given instructions) then there really should not be much of an issue. I think people are more scared to try to learn a rudimentary set of command line commands over anything.

If Bitshares devs make migrating to new versions as easy as possible then it would likely remove the largest hindrance towards adoption.

A node app that monitors the delegate and displays stats etc might be useful, but learning the ~5 commands it takes to run the delegate isn't exactly difficult.

Copy/move/delete, the git commands.  cd..  What else is there ?

If anyone wants to offer up a bounty I'll install virtual box and screen capture software and make a walk through.

AWS is an expensive option on their higher tier offerings.  If delegate server would fit in a micro-instance then perhaps AWS would be a good solution?  (considering price.)  Sometimes they have TOS against "mining" FYI...  but the upside is you can fire up an instance in data centers all around the globe.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline bytemaster

I'll admit I have not joined the effort as a delegate. However I would be interested in joining with the intention of building tools that make it easier for non-technical folks.

Also I'm thinking about ability to do nice monitoring features too - e.g. "is my node alive and well?"

What I would suggest is for Bytemaster to setup a node in AWS (Amazon Web Services) and make an image that then is easy to configure for each delegate.

Then all a delegate needs to do is fire up an instance with that public image, and then configuration of a private key should be MUCH easier, than trying to compile the whole thing from scratch.

I agree that is where things should go. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I hereby "out" myself as being non-technical.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
It seems to me that we still may have one nagging barrier to entry for delegates:  technical know-how.

I've noticed a few wistful postings on the delegate billboards indicating an interest in being a delegate "if it's not too hard" or "too fiddley".

It seems to me that some of our best delegate candidates (those with the ability to grow the industry, advocate a vision, engender trust, and/or represent constituencies) may be shut out, intimidated, or just too busy to keep up with the technical side of things.

I wonder if there are many who feel that way?

I suppose one solution might be to partner with a geek and become a formidable winning Delegate together.

Is anyone else thinking along this line?  Other concerns or ideas?

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.