Author Topic: Block Explorer and Delegates Listing  (Read 47189 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Every single vote will appear to be from a different account though I think due to TITAN.
Oh, ... that is true .. too bad, good, bad, good, ... can't decide  ;)

Offline svk

Any chance of making this open source, at least partially open source?
Cheers :)

I dunno, I'm not a formally trained coder and I started out knowing next to nothing about coding in javascript and nodejs, so while everything is functional and logical at least to me, it's not really in a state that's ready to be open-sourced. If there's anything in particular you'd like access to or help with feel free to ask though!

This is called the Imposter Syndrome.  A lot of people working in the IT field have felt it (I certainly have):
http://valbonneconsulting.wordpress.com/2014/08/16/the-imposter-syndrome-in-software-development/

Don't get too hung up on the "formally trained coder" thing, I've read studies about how a large percentage of computer science graduates come out of schooling can barely program (I've met a handful of comp sci graduates who code, some were impressive, some not so much): http://blog.codinghorror.com/why-cant-programmers-program/

Your code works and results in an excellent and incredibly useful web app.  Keep up the great work.

Thanks for the encouragement and the article, was an interesting read. I may suffer from a slight case of Imposter Syndrome, haha.

@bitcoinerS Like xeroc says there are no downvotes, only net votes, the negative ones you're seeing are simply votes for someone being removed cause they were unapproved. I'll check if adding the number of votes to the graph adds to the picture. Every single vote will appear to be from a different account though I think due to TITAN.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
How about a number of votes chart?
When you click a delegate you will see the number of votes as percentage to total supply depicted over the time

number of people/accounts  vs amount of money voting for/against delegate.
could you do us a favor and stop talking about "downvoting"/"against" delegates .. because such this is just not possible with that blockchain.
If people read you comments they start asking questions about it  :-\

besides that, I like the idea .. accounts v. actively voting stake
 +5%

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile
Looks like you updated VOTES HISTORY (x TOTAL VOTES) box and now it shows negative votes too. Thanks. I wonder if there is a way to distinguish between un-votes due to transfer to somebody else’s account from  intentional down-votes... This would be very useful.
I would like to see chart showing number of total votes (x TOTAL VOTES) over time, not just vote tally. Number of votes shows how many people are voting for a delegate.

There simply are NO downvotes on the blockchain .. the "negative" votes you see are "netto"  votes .. and usually have the size of the tx fee.

ic.
How about a number of votes chart? number of people/accounts  vs amount of money voting for/against delegate.
>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Looks like you updated VOTES HISTORY (x TOTAL VOTES) box and now it shows negative votes too. Thanks. I wonder if there is a way to distinguish between un-votes due to transfer to somebody else’s account from  intentional down-votes... This would be very useful.
I would like to see chart showing number of total votes (x TOTAL VOTES) over time, not just vote tally. Number of votes shows how many people are voting for a delegate.

There simply are NO downvotes on the blockchain .. the "negative" votes you see are "netto"  votes .. and usually have the size of the tx fee.

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile
Suggestions:
Create another chart for each delegate's page where:
1. number of times a delegate is voted for and against (VOTES HISTORY (x VOTES)
2. Somehow I don't see negative votes shown anywhere. Vote tally goes up and down, but only up votes are visible in votes history box below.
3. Not only block number should be visible, but also date.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:32:18 pm by bitcoinerS »
>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
because we have now 4 active markets (bitUSD,bitCNY,bitBTC,bitGLD)
the minimum  acceptable active feeds should be 4 (green) so less than that should get red coloured ...

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline cryptillionaire

• View Profile

I dunno, I'm not a formally trained coder and I started out knowing next to nothing about coding in javascript and nodejs, so while everything is functional and logical at least to me, it's not really in a state that's ready to be open-sourced. If there's anything in particular you'd like access to or help with feel free to ask though!

This is called the Imposter Syndrome.  A lot of people working in the IT field have felt it (I certainly have):
http://valbonneconsulting.wordpress.com/2014/08/16/the-imposter-syndrome-in-software-development/

Don't get too hung up on the "formally trained coder" thing, I've read studies about how a large percentage of computer science graduates come out of schooling can barely program (I've met a handful of comp sci graduates who code, some were impressive, some not so much): http://blog.codinghorror.com/why-cant-programmers-program/

Your code works and results in an excellent and incredibly useful web app.  Keep up the great work.
Seconded, noone is an expert in this field yet, and your block explorer website is amazing. Keep up the great work! : D

Offline amencon

• View Profile

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
My codes (especially the feed script) are are ugly as hell ..

Maybe we can enhance it collectively and iteratively? But I can understand the open sourcinv a lot of work can sometimes be frustrating

Offline cryptillionaire

• View Profile

Older blocks have latencies in the millions... :) Maybe for those you can just list 'n/a'

Yea you're right, it's the blocks for which the client wasn't online at the time of their creation, I'll add a filter so they won't show when it's obvious that they're incorrect.
But that's the beauty of open source software - hundreds of hands will be able to chip in work. We would see people porting it to other bitshares DACs, and the community would grow tremendously. Give it a thought :)

Offline svk

Older blocks have latencies in the millions... :) Maybe for those you can just list 'n/a'

Yea you're right, it's the blocks for which the client wasn't online at the time of their creation, I'll add a filter so they won't show when it's obvious that they're incorrect.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile

Offline cryptillionaire

• View Profile