Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 251362 times)

Tuck Fheman

In v0.5.1, what is the "Wall" and why should I use it?
The wall is somethink like a facebook wall .. you can post messages onto other account names .. in contrast to facebook you have a like AND a dislike weighted by the amount of BTS your BURN!! for the wall operation

Ok thanks. Now, why would I want to do this ... outside of sending a message to someone else (I assume that's its purpose)?

The client appears to insinuate that there is some benefit to me by performing this action, what is that benefit?

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I'm a little confused as to calculate how much profit/loss I would have by covering a short position. Can I just take the "BitUSD Owed" number, and subtract it from how much BitUSD I could buy with the amount of collateral I put into the short, then subtract a little more for yield?

I feel there should be a visual indicator on estimated profit/loss on a short order.

+5%

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
I'm a little confused as to calculate how much profit/loss I would have by covering a short position. Can I just take the "BitUSD Owed" number, and subtract it from how much BitUSD I could buy with the amount of collateral I put into the short, then subtract a little more for yield?

I feel there should be a visual indicator on estimated profit/loss on a short order.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
The wall is somethink like a facebook wall .. you can post messages onto other account names .. in contrast to facebook you have a like AND a dislike weighted by the amount of BTS your BURN!! for the wall operation

Offline robrigo

Now that 0.5.0 is out, how do I import my wallets from the Bitshares DNS and Bitshares Vote apps to claim my sharedrop amounts?

I know the command to get the sharedrop once the keys are in the Bitshares progam. I am just having trouble figuring out how to get my Mac OS client to connect with those other wallets in the first place. I exported both wallets as .json files. Is that the first step? Thanks.

Try using wallet_import_keys_from_json on an exported DAC wallet:

Code: [Select]
>> h wallet_import_keys_from_json

Usage:
wallet_import_keys_from_json <json_filename> <imported_wallet_passphrase> <account>                   Imports anything that looks like a private key from the given JSON file.
Imports anything that looks like a private key from the given JSON file.

Parameters:
  json_filename (filename, required): the full path and filename of JSON wallet to import
  imported_wallet_passphrase (passphrase, required): passphrase for encrypted keys
  account (account_name, required): Account into which to import keys.

Returns:
  void

aliases: import_keys_from_json

Offline joereform

Now that 0.5.0 is out, how do I import my wallets from the Bitshares DNS and Bitshares Vote apps to claim my sharedrop amounts?

I know the command to get the sharedrop once the keys are in the Bitshares progam. I am just having trouble figuring out how to get my Mac OS client to connect with those other wallets in the first place. I exported both wallets as .json files. Is that the first step? Thanks.

Tuck Fheman

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
I have 2 accounts within 1 wallet, and the "Keys" tab is not visible on 1. Clicking on the Keys tab brings up the Price Feeds (blank entry). Anything I can do to get this tab back?

What version are you running? Are either of the accounts registered on the blockchain?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline pgbit

• View Profile
I have 2 accounts within 1 wallet, and the "Keys" tab is not visible on 1. Clicking on the Keys tab brings up the Price Feeds (blank entry). Anything I can do to get this tab back?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I think that call is only relevant for claiming Ags/pts stake from 3rd party blockchains not compromising ags keys .. the public salt would then be a known string specifically for each 3rd party blockchain ... (/wild guess)

deprdoo

I have a few questions about the following:

>> help wallet_generate_brain_seed

Usage:
wallet_generate_brain_seed                                                                            Generates a human friendly brain wallet key starting with a public salt as the last word
Generates a human friendly brain wallet key starting with a public salt as the last word

1.  Is it a typo to say that the salt is starting with the last word?  If not, what does it mean?
2.  What is a public salt?
3.  Do I need the public salt to retrieve funds with this brain wallet?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
1. What is the purpose of the "Add Contact" functionality?
I know this is a way to send money to an unregistered account but is there any
other situation that I might want to use it for?
Not that I can think of ..

2. The "Toggle Approval" button has three options: positive, negative and
neutral. What is the purpose of the negative option? When I perform my vote
using the "Update Vote" functionality, only positive votes show up as a result
and negative ones seem to be ignored. If that's the case - what is the purpose
of the negative approval option?
Read more here: http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/DPOS/ApprovalVoting

3. I understand that the "Toggle Approval" is for voting for delegates, both
active and stand-by. But in the GUI the toggle button is also used in the
context of non-delegate accounts. What is the reason for this? Why might I want
to approve of someone who is not a delegate?
non-delegates can publish slates too.
Read more here: http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/DPOS/ApprovalVoting

jakub

I have these three questions:

1. What is the purpose of the "Add Contact" functionality?
I know this is a way to send money to an unregistered account but is there any other situation that I might want to use it for?

2. The "Toggle Approval" button has three options: positive, negative and neutral. What is the purpose of the negative option? When I perform my vote using the "Update Vote" functionality, only positive votes show up as a result and negative ones seem to be ignored. If that's the case - what is the purpose of the negative approval option?

3. I understand that the "Toggle Approval" is for voting for delegates, both active and stand-by. But in the GUI the toggle button is also used in the context of non-delegate accounts. What is the reason for this? Why might I want to approve of someone who is not a delegate?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Why we don't have web wallets? Because of TITAN?
yep .. and because all the library has to be rebuild in JS .. but the devs are working on it:
https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-js
It's a matter of time .. I'd say a few months at most .. until a fancy looking web-wallet ..

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
Why we don't have web wallets? Because of TITAN?
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop