Author Topic: Dan Larimer to be Keynote Speaker at Inside Bitcoins in Vegas  (Read 16740 times)

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Good Luck BM!

I suggest also refrain from implying directly that BTC price fall is due to selling pressure from mining ... let people figure it out themselves. also leave room for people to think that bitcoin may just as well bubble again (cuz it might) and leave predictions aside.

Yes. There's not much to be gained by denigrating BTC too harshly. Traders, developers, investors, and VCs will come around soon enough and figure out that there may be something better. Rather than blatantly criticizing, it's best to be constructive and plant positive seeds in people's minds about Bitshares so they will look to it first and not hate/shun it irrationally when they decide to diversify out of BTC.

How do you slip in the fact that btsx is about the only thing to have retained its value the past month. 

Say how you moved development funds from other crypto-equities into bitsharesx and were able to avoid the downswing. 

I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline pendragon3

Good Luck BM!

I suggest also refrain from implying directly that BTC price fall is due to selling pressure from mining ... let people figure it out themselves. also leave room for people to think that bitcoin may just as well bubble again (cuz it might) and leave predictions aside.

Yes. There's not much to be gained by denigrating BTC too harshly. Traders, developers, investors, and VCs will come around soon enough and figure out that there may be something better. Rather than blatantly criticizing, it's best to be constructive and plant positive seeds in people's minds about Bitshares so they will look to it first and not hate/shun it irrationally when they decide to diversify out of BTC.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Good Luck BM!

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:14:44 pm by CLains »

Offline JoeyD

I don't know if mentioning the butterfly lab people is bad per se, because he is not trying to prove the benefits of mining and them being put under FTC-restricted operations might put some extra weight on the risks of mining centralization he's talking about.

Also when mentioning other projects, ethereum is POW (and only a concept as of now) and has no mechanics in place to avoid centralization last time I checked, so why would Bytemaster recommend projects like that in a speech where he wants to convince people to return to decentralization as envisioned by Satoshi?

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile

Offline feedthemcake

• View Profile
This speech will have even more impact based on this price trend.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Usually new smart money will prefer advice from impartial advisers because anyone sho comes off as partial may seem to have an agenda and in general ppl eill prefer not to invest in him her... Essentially people investing in btsx are investing in him so the more impartial and better prepared the higher chance of new whales coming straight into crypto via btsx... Those already in already probably have positions anyways
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
A few suggestions.

don't say "your" vision use OUR vision. You are a keynote speaker and a leader of the community set the tone and you will bring everyone together under the idea of what bitcoin was meant to be not what it is today.

When mentioning BFL perhaps just qoute the "future of mining presentation" before leading into the mining facts, no need to to mention the speaker as it may be a bit of a sore point.
"In his presentation he pointed out that about 5 people collectively control 75% of the hashing power behind Bitcoin and 2 people control over 51%.   He then made the case that this centralization was good for Bitcoin because it means they could coordinate to rapidly resolve unexpected forks such as the one that occurred in March 2013"
No need to mention Sonny by name or he, use things like during the presentation it was said or a idea that was brought up.....things like that. Its fine and useful to refer to the presentation but you don't want to repeatedly qoute a guy that is a bit of a scum bag. His info good, he as a person avoid.

5) it would be good to mention pos, dpos or any other ecosystems that are not worthy. I know you seem to be trying extra hard to be impartial but you don't want to avoid topics.   

"Introduction to proof of stake (in general, not DPOS)" again don't push dpos but as a ecosystem it is worth mention along with any other ecosystems. I only say these things because at a certain point it will look like you are avoiding things.

When you get to point 11 introduce nxt, ether and any other that you feel are worth mentioning first and bitshares last. Don't use the words sales pitch, keep the tone positive because anything negative isn't even worth mentioning 8)   

Keep in mind I am offering the above suggestions with the subject "Bitcoin and Beyond"
Good luck and

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Just for the record... I am making no new announcements in Vegas...

A brief outline of my talk:

1) What Bitcoin is *to me*.... an idea, a vision, .... other things like the american dream...
2) What Bitcoin isn't to me...  a specific technology, blockchain, mining, or network effect.
3) Like the constitution of the US was meant to secure life, liberty, and property... so to was Satoshi's implementation of the Bitcoin vision.
4) Like the constitution either permits or is powerless to prevent world empire and global economic extortion... so too will Satoshi's Bitcoin unless we act to prevent it.

Bitcoin is a new frontier and we are pioneers hoping to re-establish the land of the free and the home of the brave.   Satoshi set out to create a system without any centralized points of control and where the currency was distributed on an equal opportunity basis to anyone and everyone with a computer.  Mining was meant to simulate the discovery of gold that was evenly distributed across the world.   

But like the Constitution of the United States the ideal and the reality have diverged and Satoshi’s Bitcoin has fallen to the immutable laws of economics. Efficiencies gained by centralization and economies of scale has made decentralized mining unprofitable.

What will Satoshi’s Bitcoin do then?   Is it safe to say, “we will deal with it if it becomes a problem”?   Should we not have a plan in place today the free Bitcoin from the risk of centralized control that mining poses?    Should Bitcoin adopt a different proof of work?   Sadly, the same immutable laws of economics will apply to all proof of work schemes.   

Last year at Inside Bitcoin  the CEO of Butterfly Labs did a presentation on “The Future of Mining”.   In his presentation he pointed out that about 5 people collectively control 75% of the hashing power behind Bitcoin and 2 people control over 51%.   He then made the case that this centralization was good for Bitcoin because it means they could coordinate to rapidly resolve unexpected forks such as the one that occurred in March 2013.     According to Sonny Vleisides, without this centralization in mining Bitcoin would have died 18 months ago as decentralized clients would have been unable to reach a consensus on which fork to follow in a timely manner.

Whether or not you agree that Bitcoin would have died,  Sonny Vleisides has effectively admitted that Bitcoin has become centralized, that a small handful of powerful pool operators can unilaterally decide which block chain fork is the “official” fork, that they all know each other and that they effectively vote on which chain to support.

I was in line to ask a question that day, but unfortunately it had to wait until this years event to be asked.   If the major mining pool operators form a small group of insiders that are voting on which fork to follow and this is good for Satoshi’s Bitcoin, then why must we spend a half billion dollars per year to generate an insecure, forgeable, proof-of-work hash signature when these same individuals could simply provide a cheap, secure, unforgeable elliptic curve signature?    Are we claiming that the ability for todays wealthy elite to buy enough mining hardware to challenge this small group of individuals is worth $500 million dollars?   That wealthy outsiders will come to the rescue of Bitcoin by investing in enough hardware to break the monopoly of the mining incumbents?   

5) Shift in ecosystem toward proof of stake (new coins, many of the top 10)

6) Bitcoin as a company

7) Economic analysis of Bitcoin

8) Introduction to proof of stake (in general, not DPOS)

9) Profitability = Sustainability and Growth

Given two systems each attempting to realize the Bitcoin Ideal we have a choice between Satoshi’s Bitcoin where a half dozen self-appointed people vote on the ledger while charging the coinholders 10% per year and pocketing 5% for themselves or any one of a dozen different proof of stake systems that offer greater privacy, faster blocks, lower transaction fees, and most importantly the ledger is voted on by thousands of regular users while paying a positive yield?

Satoshi’s Bitcoin has the infrastructure advantage, the name recognition, and the network effect to garner a 5 billion dollar market cap,  but this market cap is being built on the backs of thousands of small businesses that are integrating Satoshi’s Bitcoin by investing millions in infrastructure. 

This infrastructure is not tied to Bitcoin and could quickly pivot to newer, better realizations of the Bitcoin Ideal for a fraction of the cost it took to setup initially. 

So all you in the audience who own tens of millions of Satoshi‘s are faced with the same delimia that shareholders of all companies face, sell or vote in new management to pivot the business and return to profitability.  Imagine the possibility if $500 million per year could be directed to building infrastructure rather than combatting global cooling?

10) Bitcoin is challenged by lacking a consensus mechanism for large changes to the network such as eliminating mining

Fortunately the free market is the ultimate form of decentralization and we can vote with our wallets, our investments, and our businesses.  My message for you today is to look beyond Satoshi, beyond the hype, and hold fast to the vision and ideal that Bitcoin stands for.

11) Overview of BitShares..

I am not here today to do a sales pitch but only to open your eyes to what kind of things are possible and to carry the flag of the Bitcoin Ideal to the moon.

Love it! Referring to the ideal of Bitcoin and the analogy of the constitution makes total sense to me.

In order to create as little resistance among bitcoiners (=them shutting their brains as Max W. would say):

I'd try to avoid that people say "he is just trying to dramatize the centralization of mining for his coin": "2 people control over 51%" sounds unrealistic to me because why would there then be pools which control 75%? Such big miners do not need a pool. https://blockchain.info/de/pools
And I would make the distinction between 2 people controlling 51% of the hashing power by owning the miners and 2 people controlling 51% of the hashing power by being pool operators. There is a difference: Actual miners could control and harm the network long term. Mining pool operators can do it as long as the miners "vote" against the mining pool by going to another one.

Whether or not you agree that Bitcoin would have died
I'd leave out the word "died". This just scares them and makes them subconsciously think you want to scare them for your own benefit.

This part
then why must we spend a half billion dollars per year to generate an insecure, forgeable, proof-of-work hash signature 
  I would leave out "insecure" here, again because it is not obvious why it is insecure and to not create resistance.

half dozen self-appointed people
I'd say "appointed by their capital investment in mining equipment" ....anything that is not correct and at the same time puts Bitcoin in a bad light (even if it is only 1% if the talk) will make all that are seeking yes/no // black/white answers disagree with the whole talk.

10) Bitcoin is challenged by lacking a consensus mechanism for large changes to the network such as eliminating mining
Adding "DPOS has one" might make sense here but could make it too complicated.

I am not here today to do a sales pitch but only to open your eyes to what kind of things are possible and to carry the flag of the Bitcoin Ideal to the moon. 
I'd say "I am here today to open your eyes to what kind of things are possible with blockchain technology and to carry the flag of the Bitcoin Ideal to more people than we reached up to now"
Saying you are not making a sales pitch brings in the word "sales pitch" anyway and there does not have to be a contradiction between perusing the idealistic goals of Bitcoin with an own project although it is not at the center of the talk.
Blockchain technology is a useful buzzword everyone can agree on.
Everytime I here moon in commbination with crypto currency I tend to run.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 04:44:51 pm by delulo »

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
You should try to refrain from mentioning BFL or  Sonny Vleisides as they are being investigated and charged by the FED for illegal business practices that we all knew were happening. Finally caught up... probably not a good idea to quote these people, if you were intending to anyways.

I will probably mention the talk but not the speaker.  So quote them anonymously.

Unless you are trying to undermine their statements somehow, in which case some demonization may be OK.

Offline bytemaster

You should try to refrain from mentioning BFL or  Sonny Vleisides as they are being investigated and charged by the FED for illegal business practices that we all knew were happening. Finally caught up... probably not a good idea to quote these people, if you were intending to anyways.

I will probably mention the talk but not the speaker.  So quote them anonymously.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline James212

• View Profile
That looks like a great plan for your speech. I might suggest that in #11, when you are introducing BitShares, you also might also mention Ethereum and NXT, etc., as other examples of doing more with the blockchain. That might be a diplomatic transition to just mention them once, though not describe them any more than that. And then then go into BitShares. Best of luck; it's going to be great!

+5%   I agree.  This is a good idea.
BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline zhao150

• 老子早就不想当代表了
    • View Profile
老子早就不想当代表了

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile

1) What Bitcoin is *to me*.... an idea, a vision, .... other things like the american dream...
2) What Bitcoin isn't to me...  a specific technology, blockchain, mining, or network effect.
3) Like the constitution of the US was meant to secure life, liberty, and property... so to was Satoshi's implementation of the Bitcoin vision.
4) Like the constitution either permits or is powerless to prevent world empire and global economic extortion... so too will Satoshi's Bitcoin unless we act to prevent it.

Bitcoin is a new frontier and we are pioneers hoping to re-establish the land of the free and the home of the brave.   Satoshi set out to create a system without any centralized points of control and where the currency was distributed on an equal opportunity basis to anyone and everyone with a computer.  Mining was meant to simulate the discovery of gold that was evenly distributed across the world.   

But like the Constitution of the United States the ideal and the reality have diverged and Satoshi’s Bitcoin has fallen to the immutable laws of economics. Efficiencies gained by centralization and economies of scale has made decentralized mining unprofitable.

What will Satoshi’s Bitcoin do then?   Is it safe to say, “we will deal with it if it becomes a problem”?   Should we not have a plan in place today the free Bitcoin from the risk of centralized control that mining poses?    Should Bitcoin adopt a different proof of work?   Sadly, the same immutable laws of economics will apply to all proof of work schemes.   

Last year at Inside Bitcoin  the CEO of Butterfly Labs did a presentation on “The Future of Mining”.   In his presentation he pointed out that about 5 people collectively control 75% of the hashing power behind Bitcoin and 2 people control over 51%.   He then made the case that this centralization was good for Bitcoin because it means they could coordinate to rapidly resolve unexpected forks such as the one that occurred in March 2013.     According to Sonny Vleisides, without this centralization in mining Bitcoin would have died 18 months ago as decentralized clients would have been unable to reach a consensus on which fork to follow in a timely manner.

Whether or not you agree that Bitcoin would have died,  Sonny Vleisides has effectively admitted that Bitcoin has become centralized, that a small handful of powerful pool operators can unilaterally decide which block chain fork is the “official” fork, that they all know each other and that they effectively vote on which chain to support.

I was in line to ask a question that day, but unfortunately it had to wait until this years event to be asked.   If the major mining pool operators form a small group of insiders that are voting on which fork to follow and this is good for Satoshi’s Bitcoin, then why must we spend a half billion dollars per year to generate an insecure, forgeable, proof-of-work hash signature when these same individuals could simply provide a cheap, secure, unforgeable elliptic curve signature?    Are we claiming that the ability for todays wealthy elite to buy enough mining hardware to challenge this small group of individuals is worth $500 million dollars?   That wealthy outsiders will come to the rescue of Bitcoin by investing in enough hardware to break the monopoly of the mining incumbents?   

6) Bitcoin as a company

Given two systems each attempting to realize the Bitcoin Ideal we have a choice between Satoshi’s Bitcoin where a half dozen self-appointed people vote on the ledger while charging the coinholders 10% per year and pocketing 5% for themselves or any one of a dozen different proof of stake systems that offer greater privacy, faster blocks, lower transaction fees, and most importantly the ledger is voted on by thousands of regular users while paying a positive yield?

Satoshi’s Bitcoin has the infrastructure advantage, the name recognition, and the network effect to garner a 5 billion dollar market cap,  but this market cap is being built on the backs of thousands of small businesses that are integrating Satoshi’s Bitcoin by investing millions in infrastructure. 

This infrastructure is not tied to Bitcoin and could quickly pivot to newer, better realizations of the Bitcoin Ideal for a fraction of the cost it took to setup initially. 

So all you in the audience who own tens of millions of Satoshi‘s are faced with the same delimia that shareholders of all companies face, sell or vote in new management to pivot the business and return to profitability.  Imagine the possibility if $500 million per year could be directed to building infrastructure rather than combatting global cooling?

Fortunately the free market is the ultimate form of decentralization and we can vote with our wallets, our investments, and our businesses.  My message for you today is to look beyond Satoshi, beyond the hype, and hold fast to the vision and ideal that Bitcoin stands for.

Offline onceuponatime

I didn't say he wasn't being diplomatic. It would smooth the transition, since everyone knows he's going to talk about his baby, BitShares, at the end.

Agree.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I didn't say he wasn't being diplomatic. It would smooth the transition, since everyone knows he's going to talk about his baby, BitShares, at the end.

Offline matt608

• View Profile
That looks like a great plan for your speech. I might suggest that in #11, when you are introducing BitShares, you also might also mention Ethereum and NXT, etc., as other examples of doing more with the blockchain. That might be a diplomatic transition to just mention them once, though not describe them any more than that. And then then go into BitShares. Best of luck; it's going to be great!

I don't think there's a need to be that diplomatic, he's flattering bitcoin greatly already. 

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
This sounds like a great speech.  Sad that I wont be there but I cant wait to watch a video of it.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
Quote from: bytemaster

You could say something like "Satoshi had a dream", and then go on to explain what his dream was. i.e. Martin Luther Kings "I had a dream" speech.

This should be a fantastic speech, I'm really bummed I can't fly to Vegas due to prior arrangements.

Offline bytemaster

6) Bitcoin as a company

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Well, most of the whales are probably people on this forum, and I don't think they have a goal of screwing the rest of us over yet.    BTSX isn't so well distributed yet that there are large whale traders who are just in it for the trading and don't believe in BTSX long term.  There is plenty of room for BTSX to appreciate, and the whales already had the opportunity to buy it for under a cent a couple months ago.

That said, I do think there is too much expectation surrounding Dan's vegas speech.  It could be a 'sell the news' event if the expected price rise doesnt materialize. 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I have the feeling that after Vegas the whole thing here will explode. Like a few days later, after some experts told their friends about it or wrote some articles.
I agree with you but  before it happens I have a strong feeling they (Whales?)will manage  Bitsharesx prices to tank aggressive for a while to make weak hands to leave their positions and have the opportunity to buy massively at lower prices before they see the price skyrocketing again... 

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D

I don't really think it is near as possible to manipulate the market downwards as people think.  You have to fool all the participants in the market to think the stock is overvalued.    Hard with to do with BTSX.  :)

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
I have the feeling that after Vegas the whole thing here will explode. Like a few days later, after some experts told their friends about it or wrote some articles.
I agree with you but  before it happens I have a strong feeling they (Whales?)will manage  Bitsharesx prices to tank aggressive for a while to make weak hands to leave their positions and have the opportunity to buy massively at lower prices before they see the price skyrocketing again... 

They better not, I ain't getting margin called. lol.

But yea, I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that the price may explode right around Dan's keynote or soon thereafter...or maybe even around Patrick Byrne's keynote, if his announcement is exciting enough. I'm probably wrong as I usually am, but damn that'd be awesome.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:18:38 pm by nomoreheroes7 »

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
I would rock BTS shirts 7/365

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile

So were shirts ever made by chance ?

Thinking about it, it would be nice to have a 'ask me about bitshares' type shirts.  I wouldn't mind wearing it.
Sadly no, my friend that made the last batch had just received some large orders from some of the local schools and he said it would have been impossible for him to get it done in the time required.
If their is enough interest I can do another run with a different design I also had some vinyl bitshares stickers with the logo on a black back round made (great for cars and laptops). Any one that is interested please pm me so I can get a head count, if we can get at least 13 I will make a thread and we can try to all agree on a new mock up.     

Offline gamey

• View Profile

So were shirts ever made by chance ?

Thinking about it, it would be nice to have a 'ask me about bitshares' type shirts.  I wouldn't mind wearing it.

Offline Riverhead

Given what's at stake for Patrick I'm guessing it'll be something reasonably vague. If I had to place a bit it'd be that they have resolved critical regulatory barriers and have started the phase of vetting various blockchain solutions "for the next step".

Maybe that could be it... and I dont htink he would necessarily say hes leaning towards a particular one unless its already a done deal.. so the regulatory thing is pretty big and should be fairly bullish blockchain 2.0 currencies I would think.

Agreed. He's pretty savvy on how reactionary the crypto world is to news so I doubt he's going to send one company to the moon unless it is, as you say, a done deal.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Given what's at stake for Patrick I'm guessing it'll be something reasonably vague. If I had to place a bit it'd be that they have resolved critical regulatory barriers and have started the phase of vetting various blockchain solutions "for the next step".

Maybe that could be it... and I dont htink he would necessarily say hes leaning towards a particular one unless its already a done deal.. so the regulatory thing is pretty big and should be fairly bullish blockchain 2.0 currencies I would think.

Offline Riverhead

Given what's at stake for Patrick I'm guessing it'll be something reasonably vague. If I had to place a bet it'd be that they have resolved critical regulatory barriers and have started the phase of vetting various blockchain solutions "for the next step".
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:17:26 pm by Riverhead »

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Wonder what Patrick M. Byrne will announce pertaining to the bitcoin ecosystem... could it be related to bitsharesx?

$10  say he/they are moving to a blockchin solution.... bla-bla-bla.

What Dan speaks about is a bigger mystery in my mind.

I dont know he is doing a pretty good job at pumping people to expect some pretty interesting news that he is going to announce during his talk... I was thinking it would relate to btsx or nxt because he is speaking about a decentralized stock exchange use case.

38PTSWarrior

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Wonder what Patrick M. Byrne will announce pertaining to the bitcoin ecosystem... could it be related to bitsharesx?

$10  say he/they are moving to a blockchin solution.... bla-bla-bla.

What Dan speaks about is a bigger mystery in my mind.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:45:09 pm by jsidhu »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I already regret that I cannot come! Hope to be with you streaming-wise

Offline Riverhead

A positive is that the audience will be more open minded and business oriented than a lot of the tin foil hat types that are only active on the Internet.

As an aside - I hope they aren't updating their lineup:

http://insidebitcoins.com/speakers/#daniellarimer

Page not found  Return home? 

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
I'm going to define Bitcoin to be the vision, the goal, the purpose, the idea and then systematically show how the most popular implementation of the idea has succeeded and failed.   Then discuss the other techniques that have emerged that carry the Bitcoin banner and hold true to the idea/vision rather than to a clunky protocol.   

+5% No better way to do it.

Consider framing the alternatives that carry the Bitcoin vision as experiments. I've had very positive experiences when presenting BTSX in this light.

Offline bytemaster

I'm going to define Bitcoin to be the vision, the goal, the purpose, the idea and then systematically show how the most popular implementation of the idea has succeeded and failed.   Then discuss the other techniques that have emerged that carry the Bitcoin banner and hold true to the idea/vision rather than to a clunky protocol.   

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Yes, I am trying to prepare a very "product-neutral" presentation and will not be doing a product promotion for BTSX,

+5%

BTW that's the best promotion for BTSX   ;)

Offline Riverhead

Bytemaster, in your keynote are you going to compare BTSX's positive P/E ratio to Bitcoin's loss making one? I thought that P/E ratio post you made a while back made a strong case.

Just a suggestion.

Yes, I am trying to prepare a very "product-neutral" presentation and will not be doing a product promotion for BTSX, though I will probably mention it.

+5% It would be nice to be asked back :).

Offline bytemaster

Bytemaster, in your keynote are you going to compare BTSX's positive P/E ratio to Bitcoin's loss making one? I thought that P/E ratio post you made a while back made a strong case.

Just a suggestion.

Yes, I am trying to prepare a very "product-neutral" presentation and will not be doing a product promotion for BTSX, though I will probably mention it.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:23:52 pm by Stan »

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy

Just a suggestion.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I teach college and am busy those days, but I envy you all and hope you have a great time. Make lots of friends!

Offline Final_Acclaim

• View Profile
Thinking about heading out that way myself. So many big players at this event, networking will be so critical for us.

Offline robrigo

Just booked my flight out. Looking forward to meeting members of this awesome community in person. If there are any extra BitShares shirts I would also like to purchase one. Thanks!!

Offline muse-umum

• BitShares everything
    • View Profile
 +5%
I noticed Bobby Lee, the CEO of BTCCHINA and board member of Bitcoin Foundation, will also be there.
Maybe it's a good time to talk with him and see if there is any chance for BTCCHINA to add BTSX/BitUSD/BitCNY.

http://insidebitcoins.com/las-vegas/speakers/#bobbylee

Offline Riverhead

Offline Brent.Allsop

• View Profile
    • Canonizer.com
I'll pay anything for a shirt, looking forward to letting everyone in Las Vegas know what camp I'm in.  It'll be great to show everyone at Vegas just how big our camp is.

So just let me know, (and everyone in a pinned thread or something) in case I miss it on a thread, or anything.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
Nice to see so many people of the community go there... may I suggest:

- To all wear the SAME teeshirt (not the killed bank one please .. maybe more neutral one)
 - get some stickers to put them everywhere .. (toiletts, public transportations, restaurants, lobbies ... blablabla)
 - why not prepare some QR code with preloaded 5BTSX and hand them to people!?
 - please print ALOT of handouts which contain our (cass's) info graphics about introduction, TITAN, the fee flow and lots of links to the community

I am pretty sure that there will not only be suits but also some crypto nerds we can attract .. or is all of this interpreted as too aggressive by others?

This is a really good idea (except for the stickers on everything :) ). Maybe the shirts could say, "BitShares? Just ask me."

Love it  +5%

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
I am ready pay for 50% of the new batch (like 5-7 pieces)(in bitUSD of course), if they can be delivered to the I3 offices before 5th of October. Better quality will be nice, but I personally, would not mind anything that says 'Bitshares' as long as there are no killings involved (bank or otherwise)... (size large and extra-large)...
@tonyk: I'll pay you a half of your order .. no need to take that alone :) ... +5% for the idea!
That's all I need to hear guys I will get something worked up and make sure it can be done on time.do we want a collared shirt or a tee, and do we just want it to have the logo across the breast, anything on back?

I like  Riverhead's idea -"ask me anything", but am fine with anything else (including nothing on the back), as I said.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:26:17 pm by tonyk »

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
I am ready pay for 50% of the new batch (like 5-7 pieces)(in bitUSD of course), if they can be delivered to the I3 offices before 5th of October. Better quality will be nice, but I personally, would not mind anything that says 'Bitshares' as long as there are no killings involved (bank or otherwise)... (size large and extra-large)...
@tonyk: I'll pay you a half of your order .. no need to take that alone :) ... +5% for the idea!
That's all I need to hear guys I will get something worked up and make sure it can be done on time.do we want a collared shirt or a tee, and do we just want it to have the logo across the breast, anything on back?

Offline Riverhead

Ditto - I'll throw in as well.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

- To all wear the SAME teeshirt (not the killed bank one please .. maybe more neutral one)
 - get some stickers to put them everywhere .. (toiletts, public transportations, restaurants, lobbies ... blablabla)
 - please print ALOT of handouts which contain our (cass's) info graphics about introduction, TITAN, the fee flow and lots of links to the community

I am pretty sure that there will not only be suits but also some crypto nerds we can attract .. or is all of this interpreted as too aggressive by others?

This is a really good idea (except for the stickers on everything :) ). Maybe the shirts could say, "BitShares? Just ask me."

I want to make sure I can buy wear one there - anything that  says Bitshares prominently works for me, other than the bank killing one.
If you do not plan to bring T-shirts, I would like to pay for one in advance (using bitUSD of course), please PM me the account.
If I had a design soonish and we had a order for at least 12 I could do another run. Maybe something a little more classy wit a collar? Shoot me a pm if you are seriously interested in getting the idea off the ground, But we got to act fast to make sure they are done and shipped to everyone in time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
the QR codes are easy and quickly made ... filling them up with funds might take some time unless BM publishes an rpc call for multi transactions ...

pimping the wallet to read QR codes for easier import of private keys might also take some time, but when we decide to do this, that issue should be moved WAY up the todo list

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile

I want to make sure I can buy wear one there - anything that  says Bitshares prominently works for me, other than the bank killing one.
If you do not plan to bring T-shirts, I would like to pay for one in advance (using bitUSD of course), please PM me the account.
If I had a design soonish and we had a order for at least 12 I could do another run. Maybe something a little more classy wit a collar? Shoot me a pm if you are seriously interested in getting the idea off the ground, But we got to act fast to make sure they are done and shipped to everyone in time.

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
This FREE beer asset idea is neat.  How do you 'pass' the free beer to interested participants?

Unfortunate it is not 'free beer', it is 'free as in beer'.
Otherwise we would have had enough demand...
lol .. yhea :)

I thought about a classical QR-code private key for an address that is preloaded with some FREE and maybe 1 BTSX to register an account ..
QR-code private key works the same as in bitcoin .. (almost)

lol.. I did not notice 'as in beer'.  I must have been dreaming of a cool beer drink.  QR-code is easy to use. Can this be implemented in time?
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
This FREE beer asset idea is neat.  How do you 'pass' the free beer to interested participants?

lol .. yhea :)

I thought about a classical QR-code private key for an address that is preloaded with some FREE and maybe 1 BTSX to register an account ..
QR-code private key works the same as in bitcoin .. (almost)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
as some of you might have noticed ... i registered an asset .. at the beginnign of btsx ..
it's called 'FREE' ... free as in beer (description)

I thought we can maybe use this for a marketing campaing .. something viral ..
my thought would be to preload some addresses and print the private keys in QR format onto a flyer for las vegas ..
i'd preload all of this with say 100 FREE and 0.5 btsx so that these guys can register a name ..
when keeping a copy of the QR codes we do not loose btsx when someone decide not to take them .. (maybe after 6 months or so)
if we decide to do this, we should probably ask the devs to add some QR-code
related features to the GUI .. and also .. transactions to multiple addresses
.. so that I don't need to pay1000BTSX transaction fees

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
as some of you might have noticed ... i registered an asset .. at the beginnign of btsx ..

my thought would be to preload some addresses and print the private keys in QR format onto a flyer for las vegas ..
i'd preload all of this with say 100 FREE and 0.5 btsx so that these guys can register a name ..
when keeping a copy of the QR codes we do not loose btsx when someone decide not to take them .. (maybe after 6 months or so)

ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
This is great news and I am sure Dan is going to make a splash. As far as the shirts go they are tongue and cheek and I doubt anyone would be offended, in fact it might start a conversation or two. I will have to check to see if I have some frequent flyer miles left and if the wife will let me leave for vegas for "work".....I am not sure I can even say it with a straight face.

merockstar

I'm looking forward to the party that ensues after I've made enough out of this to travel.

Offline Fox

Great news!  I plan to attend this conference and look forward to connecting with many of you.
Witness: fox

Offline ag

• View Profile
pretty cool that bitsharesX is the first decentralized autonomous bank/exchange in existence. Dan should have a good time. he created something amazing.

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile
Oh, and that reminds me... YES, to get a networking pass to the event is absolutely free. So if you're on a budget but still want to go, just show up and you can walk around the event all days for nothing.   Most of the action takes place in networking and meeting outside the speaker rooms anyway... heck, that's how i met Dan and got started with this whole thing! B

bitbro

Maybe the shirts could say, "BitShares? Just ask me."

+5%

Id buy a handful.  Maybe we can put up some of the collared shirts w just logo too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
This is a really good idea (except for the stickers on everything :) ).
that really was a joke  8)

Maybe the shirts could say, "BitShares? Just ask me."
Oh yhea .. that probably goes viral ... very good idea .. I would join this I it could come

Offline Riverhead

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Excellent news! Dan is finally starting to get his due. It is so special to have someone leading this project who is both a skilled programmer and an economic visionary. Nice going, Brian.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
enjoy the conference - unfortunately i can't attend… :(
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Keynote is free too.   So if you aren't particularly interested in workshops, exhibit hall + keynotes are free (or $20??)  Not that it is expensive anyway as a conference, but I'm cheap.

Free equivalent of world class rock concert with Dan Larimer.

Get to meet the fabulous TonyK rofl.

Just need to book my flight.
You will come too? That is getting better by the minute.  +5%
And quite like you will have the chance to meet the actual Toni K too (who is indeed fabulous IMHO) not only my humble self.

I'm going to see what I can do to make it. I have some vacation time to burn...

Would be great to meet everyone and have a drink.

I hope you can make it. Would love to meet you, in person.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:05:46 pm by tonyk »

Offline Riverhead

I'm going to see what I can do to make it. I have some vacation time to burn...

Would be great to meet everyone and have a drink.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Keynote is free too.   So if you aren't particularly interested in workshops, exhibit hall + keynotes are free (or $20??)  Not that it is expensive anyway as a conference, but I'm cheap.

Free equivalent of world class rock concert with Dan Larimer.

Get to meet the fabulous TonyK rofl.

Just need to book my flight.

Offline Pheonike

I think I can make it. Will know for sure closer to the date.

Offline cusknee

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cusknee
This is great for our business. Thanks for the hard work that you are putting into this.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile
Can't wait to meet all of you that I haven't yet, if you're attending vegas.  This is kind of like a reunion for many of us, since the last time we were in Vegas, it was just Dan all by himself talking about a funny little thing called Protoshares and looking for a team to hire.  Drinks on me!  B

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
thanks for the offer ... much appriciated .. but it is a work trip I have to attend and thus cannot participate ..

I will be in austin in december though .. arranged a meeting with gamey already :)

Offline Brent.Allsop

• View Profile
    • Canonizer.com

Hey Xeroc, if it's money that is keeping you from going, I bet we could raise enough money to pay for a very nice trip for you to the Vegas.  I bet there would be a lot of people willing to help pay to get you here.  We all owe you so much!!  (If anyone else is willing to help out, speak up.)

shit .. that is great ...

but I cannot join :-(

I really hope they run a live stream!!

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Happy or not to see me, I will try my best to be there!
I would be happy to finally get to know you .. in person :-)
as would be to get to know every one else... too bad Vegas  is on the other side of the world for me

I would like to meet you too. Maybe next summer I will just stop for a day or two in Germany on my way back to motherland.

[edit] Hope you live close to Munich or Frankfurt.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:53:31 pm by tonyk »

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Hey guys...

I was able to get Dan the keynote spot for the final day of Inside Bitcoins in Vegas next month.  Here's info on his keynote talk:

Morning Keynote: Bitcoin and Beyond

In this keynote address, Daniel Larimer will review the history of Bitcoin, explain how its value can be understood with conventional analysis, and then dive into the technologies that go beyond Bitcoin such as trust free, income producing, digital gold, silver, and USD.

Daniel Larimer Founder,
BitShares.org

http://insidebitcoins.com/las-vegas/

This is big news and it's Las Vegas! That is the perfect place for a technology like Bitshares X.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

I would be happy to finally get to know you .. in person :-)
as would be to get to know every one else... too bad Vegas  is on the other side of the world for me

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
shit .. that is great ...

but I cannot join :-(

I really hope they run a live stream!!

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Dan (and company) plus Vegas at the same time... it is impossible to say no, at least for me it is.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:47:44 pm by tonyk »

Offline Brent.Allsop

• View Profile
    • Canonizer.com

Sweet!!  Way to go.  Looking forward to this!!

So, where is the Bitshares party going to be??  This is Vegas after all, and we have lots to celebrate with EVERYONE!!  And we need to get to know each other better.

Brent Allsop

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile
Hey guys...

I was able to get Dan the keynote spot for the final day of Inside Bitcoins in Vegas next month.  Here's info on his keynote talk:

Morning Keynote: Bitcoin and Beyond

In this keynote address, Daniel Larimer will review the history of Bitcoin, explain how its value can be understood with conventional analysis, and then dive into the technologies that go beyond Bitcoin such as trust free, income producing, digital gold, silver, and USD.

Daniel Larimer Founder,
BitShares.org

http://insidebitcoins.com/las-vegas/