Author Topic: AN UPDATE ON THE MARKETING CAMPAIGN....can you tell us what's up???  (Read 17735 times)

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
- Open Bazaar
- Payment Processors like GoCoin
- Larger Exchanges

Those would add a lot of traction within the low hanging fruit realm.  Credit Card and Prepaid card will be another useful segment, I don't see why both can't be worked on at the same time by different segments of the community.

This - I'm not sure why I3 seems hesitant to go after the easy stuff.

I could understand if things like OB integration or GoCoin/Bitpay partnerships conflicted with the masterplan... but I can't conceive such a scenario.

How do we know they aren't?

Exactly, that's why I submitted those exact questions for the hangout today. The last thing I want to do is duplicate work in the grassroots.

How do you submit questions for a hangout? How do these hangouts even work?

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
- Open Bazaar
- Larger Exchanges

Those would add a lot of traction within the low hanging fruit realm.  Credit Card and Prepaid card will be another useful segment, I don't see why both can't be worked on at the same time by different segments of the community.

I could understand if things like OB integration or GoCoin/Bitpay partnerships conflicted with the masterplan... but I can't conceive such a scenario.

Exactly, that's why I submitted those exact questions for the hangout today. The last thing I want to do is duplicate work in the grassroots.
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work

Offline betax

• View Profile
Open Bazaar, imaging be able to sell like eBay but with very low fees and with no volatility in the price.

Imaging to be able to buy anything cheaper than ebay (as marketers can give you 1% lower price).

Imaging to be able to buy wholesale from China or other part of the world at lower the cost (Alibaba decentralised) and exchange BitUsd , BitCNY

Imaging keeping all the profit of your sales in BitUSD (etc) to earn interest.

Open Bazaar + BitSharesX are meant to be together :)
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
I'm not sure what you mean? I'm saying even if we had a 1.0 product, they're seeding the wrong demographic anyway.

I'm just genuinely curious to know what's worked out best in your experience. We've seen what happens when people wait until a product is super polished and miss the boat but also what happens when half baked software is released. I guess it would depend on the product, the demographic, and what else is in the market space (or will be soon)?

You cannot squash every bug without a large pool of beta testers. The advantage of capturing early adopters is that you get to iterate and refine your product before it organically moves to broader demographics.

Offline Riverhead

- Open Bazaar
- Larger Exchanges

Offline oldman

• View Profile
Those of you who ignore MethodX are in for a rude awakening, because he is the sanest guy in this thread. If the initial marketing effort will be an all-in attempt at capturing the "neo&bee market" instantly, then we're in trouble, because that will not work. Old people are not going to buy bitUSD, Argentinians are not going to buy bitUSD. Like I've seen MethodX talking about before, the obvious starting point for us should be open bazaar. A referral program for them would be the perfect way to kickstart bitUSD usage, and should commence the second we have a presentable wallet.

Once bitUSD gains anything close to bitcoins current traction, we've won, because at that point the mass market can begin pouring in. But it's not gonna come in as early adopters.

That being said, credit card on-ramp + prepaid debit card off ramp will be extremely strong and make any sort of marketing immensely easy, so I think it's the right thing to focus on. Honestly, the kind of marketing effort we need right now is the effort of the community, no amount of "talented marketing people" can give us the early userbase we need.

Btw is there a list of the marketing team somewhere?

Finally I wish there was more coherence between the Chinese and English communities. We should be working as one, but are currently in a pretty awkward one-country-two-systems situation. I guess as a mandarin speaker I should be working on this.

As for community marketing, there's a few ideas being exchanged on reddit posts, task forces and other similar actions.  I expect to see the community flesh that out fairly quickly.  I've said this before, but I'll repeat it again:

- Open Bazaar
- Larger Exchanges

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
I personally think the potential flood-gate for onboarding users is the yield.
I don't think there is an institution in the entire world that is in a position to offer something like that right now.
And Dan & Co. have figured out how to do that.  Congratulations.

That said, for it to work it will have to be really, really, REALLY dumbed down.
I think when a person works in a particular field for some time everything starts to look very easy and second nature.
But I personally don't know anyone over 60 who does online banking for example.
I hope the real capabilities of the demographics is being well considered.
Of the aforementioned baby-boomer generation, something like downloading and installing a client is probably already a huge overestimation of what the majority will know how or be willing to do.

+5%. I really don't understand why baby boomers are so change-averse, but from my observations it is pretty much always the case. I feel like I'll still be open to new ideas when I'm 60...or will there come a point where I'll transform into an idea-fearing old coot as well?

That is truly terrifying.

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile
I personally think the potential flood-gate for onboarding users is the yield.
I don't think there is an institution in the entire world that is in a position to offer something like that right now.
And Dan & Co. have figured out how to do that.  Congratulations.

That said, for it to work it will have to be really, really, REALLY dumbed down.
I think when a person works in a particular field for some time everything starts to look very easy and second nature.
But I personally don't know anyone over 60 who does online banking for example.
I hope the real capabilities of the demographics is being well considered.
Of the aforementioned baby-boomer generation, something like downloading and installing a client is probably already a huge overestimation of what the majority will know how or be willing to do.

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
Those of you who ignore MethodX are in for a rude awakening, because he is the sanest guy in this thread. If the initial marketing effort will be an all-in attempt at capturing the "neo&bee market" instantly, then we're in trouble, because that will not work. Old people are not going to buy bitUSD, Argentinians are not going to buy bitUSD. Like I've seen MethodX talking about before, the obvious starting point for us should be open bazaar. A referral program for them would be the perfect way to kickstart bitUSD usage, and should commence the second we have a presentable wallet.

Once bitUSD gains anything close to bitcoins current traction, we've won, because at that point the mass market can begin pouring in. But it's not gonna come in as early adopters.

That being said, credit card on-ramp + prepaid debit card off ramp will be extremely strong and make any sort of marketing immensely easy, so I think it's the right thing to focus on. Honestly, the kind of marketing effort we need right now is the effort of the community, no amount of "talented marketing people" can give us the early userbase we need.

Finally I wish there was more coherence between the Chinese and English communities. We should be working as one, but are currently in a pretty awkward one-country-two-systems situation. I guess as a mandarin speaker I should be working on this.

As for community marketing, there's a few ideas being exchanged on reddit posts, task forces and other similar actions.  I expect to see the community flesh that out fairly quickly.  I've said this before, but I'll repeat it again:

- Open Bazaar
- Larger Exchanges

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:08:32 pm by hpenvy »
=============

Offline Rune

• View Profile

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
Here's the problem with this marketing plan as I see it:

One of the main things I do these days is help startups get a userbase (among other things). So we're always dealing with network effect and the challenge of getting traction. After doing this for awhile you start to see patterns. One of the patterns I noticed is that when a company tries to go mainstream (early majority) before getting a solid foundation of early adopters, they almost always end up getting neither.

The strategy we use is called "piggybacking". That means we try to identify a market of early adopters that need the product/service right now and focus on catering to them. If the product "catches" and successfully establishes a solid niche userbase, it will organically spread to other areas (think vertical growth vs. horizontal growth). The niche we originally focused on acts as an advertisement for the utility of the product, allowing it to grow horizontally and eventually it reaches a mainstream audience all on its own.
Good point. Prove utility with a small group of users for who utility is super high, test and improve your product here (feeddback cycle), then go mainstream.

Should MeTHoDx be hired?  Maybe, if what hes saying is true he can scientifically test with a very small budget.  He has already been donated like 10,000 BTSX, or something.

Should we advertise on letstalkbitcoin?  Maybe?  Should Adam Levine rather just start talking about us, yes supposedly he has a big stake.

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
Hey guys.   

Quick update.....I can assure you we are working around the clock on the marketing campaign.  Just like the many months Dan and the devs were working on BitSharesX - where it seemed like nothing at all was happening, this too isn't as easy (or as fast) as any of us would expect or want it to be.   

The marketing team has been spending nearly every day (and most of the event in Vegas) speaking with "on-ramp" service companies in order to find the best solution for getting USD into BTSX and bitUSD.  We are VERY close, btw, with one of them.  In addition, we are working on an "off-ramp" partner who can provide a bitUSD direct to a prepaid credit card to allow users to get out of bitUSD without needing a normal crypto exchange.  We were hoping to find one company to do both, but no one is able to do both at this time so we have two different sides to develop for this platform. 

On top of both of those partnerships, we're looking for "backup" service providers in the event either one cant handle the volume we intend to push.  We need to tie in the API's on the back end for a seamless experience, build a separate site, finish producing the multiple videos that explain what/how/why of BTSX and bitUSD, and so much more. 

This project is more involved than it may look from the outside, but I can assure you everything is moving forward.  Like Dan, I'm not going to put a specific date on when all this will be completed and the "go" button pushed, but it WILL happen. And when it does, it will be plainly obvious it is a DIRECT result of our efforts.

As for transparency, we are not sharing all the details of how or where we're going to get all the new users we expect to see into our system, or precisely what we are doing, for obvious reasons.  No one in the industry is doing what we are attempting to do - which is the very reason we will have the results no one else is having. 

The team I've assembled is nothing short of top notch and has knocked it out of the park in many other industries.  I have no doubt they'll do the same with us.  We expect a VERY significant increase in new users, as well as capital, into both BTSX and bitUSD, once launched, so our goal is real growth, not "pumping" the value artificially. 

I know many of you are anxious and wanting to see big returns on the of time, money and trust you've placed in BitShares.  I too want all of those things.  We will get there, I have no doubts.  Stay tuned.... The day we launch, I'll make the forum aware of it immediately so you can see exaclty what we've created and send your own friends and contacts through the site, to participate. 

Thanks! B

Brian, you've described bizdev activities or  "business development".  What is the marketing plan?   

Do you think Bizdev (strategic partnerships and personal relationships) and Marketing (messaging) are the same thing?

Wasn't there a project called dogeparty?
That's what I call true marketing effort - AdamBLevine style!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUpW18Exw8g

You can find info about dogeparty at http://dogeparty.io, I think it's pretty easy to understand but it's important to note that Brian is the director of marketing for Invictus who has been paid a salary to do that job for more than six months.  I was never compensated in any way for my work on Dogeparty, and I donated my time/effort because I think its a valuable experiment.

Thanks for representing the forum defense force and reminding me why I don't waste my time in this cheerleading echo chamber.

At least he tried, he being Adam Levine.   Was his marketing successful, no, it only got 1300 people on youtube but still people.  From the history ive heard about him should he be in charge?  no. 

But hes doing more than what most of you are doing by creating content. yes

And because im technically incompetent and people dont like multiple posts.  Yes the marketing plan has been veiled mentioned if you do not know what there multi-pronged like tactics are you are not reading enough?  It is perfectly reasonable to ask, is there a plan B and are they going all in to Plan A?  I am hoping yes for the former and no for the ladder.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Here's the problem with this marketing plan as I see it:

One of the main things I do these days is help startups get a userbase (among other things). So we're always dealing with network effect and the challenge of getting traction. After doing this for awhile you start to see patterns. One of the patterns I noticed is that when a company tries to go mainstream (early majority) before getting a solid foundation of early adopters, they almost always end up getting neither.

The strategy we use is called "piggybacking". That means we try to identify a market of early adopters that need the product/service right now and focus on catering to them. If the product "catches" and successfully establishes a solid niche userbase, it will organically spread to other areas (think vertical growth vs. horizontal growth). The niche we originally focused on acts as an advertisement for the utility of the product, allowing it to grow horizontally and eventually it reaches a mainstream audience all on its own.
Good point. Prove utility with a small group of users for who utility is super high, test and improve your product here (feeddback cycle), then go mainstream.

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile

You can find info about dogeparty at http://dogeparty.io, I think it's pretty easy to understand but it's important to note that Brian is the director of marketing for Invictus who has been paid a salary to do that job for more than six months.  I was never compensated in any way for my work on Dogeparty, and I donated my time/effort because I think its a valuable experiment.

Thanks for representing the forum defense force and reminding me why I don't waste my time in this cheerleading echo chamber.

Even though I think dogeparty.io is a complete waste of time and terrible for crypto in general, I can respect your effort to donate time in something you believe in.  I also respect the fact that you have concerns with the direction in marketing. We need different points of view in the community, period. As a counter to your comment, we are #4 in the world in market cap.  There are literally hundreds of projects that would love to be in our spot.

I never understood why people get so worked up in a forum. It's business, nothing more. Nobody 'represents' the defense force, each of us are adults and can make a decision where to best spend our energy and finances. I certainly don't agree with everything on here, it doesn't stop me from making media contacts on my own.

I look forward to see what's rolled out and I'll make my further investment decisions based on that information. In the meantime, congrats to Brian and the team for a fantastic job at InsideBitcoins.
=============

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Ah, but which part of the echo chamber are you in?