Author Topic: Website name. Brainstorming  (Read 48282 times)

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
NosterPhonic (noster is latin for 'our')
MeloDecentral
AudioArk
AudioShare
ArkWave
SoundShip
SongShip
TuneSeed
SongSeed

FanFair
FanFare
FanFayre
Fanfare (There are many definitions/associations relating to these, all relevant in some way)

MelodyChain
Melode
Music Decentral
MusicMarket
RhapsoDecentral

Music Chainstore
Chainstore Tunes
Music BlockChain (or Music Block as liondani said)
FunDITTY (fund it / ditty)
DittyBang
Ditty Ditty Bang Bang

"HemiDemi" or any part of the following, all of which are real types of note length):

Semiquaver
     Demisemiquaver
     Hemidemisemiquaver
     Semihemidemisemiquaver
     Demisemihemidemisemiquaver

Peer2Ear
Ear2Peer
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:12:30 pm by Hadrian »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline amatoB

• View Profile
How about simply "Melo", the first part of the Greek and Latin words for song?

I still think "Songster" may offer the best opportunities. But "Melo" is short and memorable, and it could be a good name if no other music biz website is using it.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
"lydia" *

music lydia

lydia sound

lydiabass

lydia

melolydia or melydia (sounds great)  (melody & lydia*)

lydia beat

lydia tunes

lydiashell

lydia song

"alydia" (for unique name)

* "According to Herodotus, the Lydians were the first people to use gold and silver coins and the first to establish retail shops in permanent locations.[12] It is not known, however, whether Herodotus meant that the Lydians were the first to use coins of pure gold and pure silver or the first precious metal coins in general. Despite this ambiguity, this statement of Herodotus is one of the pieces of evidence often cited in behalf of the argument that Lydians invented coinage, at least in the West, even though the first coins were neither gold nor silver but an alloy of the two"

source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia

+5% +5% +5%

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
"lydia" *

music lydia

lydia sound

lydiabass

lydia

melolydia or melydia (sounds great)  (melody & lydia*)

lydia beat

lydia tunes

lydiashell

lydia song

"alydia" (for unique name)

* "According to Herodotus, the Lydians were the first people to use gold and silver coins and the first to establish retail shops in permanent locations.[12] It is not known, however, whether Herodotus meant that the Lydians were the first to use coins of pure gold and pure silver or the first precious metal coins in general. Despite this ambiguity, this statement of Herodotus is one of the pieces of evidence often cited in behalf of the argument that Lydians invented coinage, at least in the West, even though the first coins were neither gold nor silver but an alloy of the two"

source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 11:41:26 am by liondani »

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
please consider the name

apidya ( is a horizontally scrolling shoot 'em up computer game developed by Kaiko and released by Play Byte in 1992 for the Amiga. Apidya had an ecxellent/memorable* soundtrack also...)

My feeling sais it is a very strong name for our purpose...

or make it ... "alidya"

* just came another name to my mind....  "memorablia"  (everything is "memorized" on the blockchain and good songs and artists are unforgetable/memorable (sounds,lyrics...) etc...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:25:10 am by liondani »

Offline JoeyD

How about using a catchy sounding abbreviation, similar to MTV.

CMX - Collaborative Music eXchange
OMX - Online Music eXchange
XYS - eXchange Your Songs

Similarly I've noticed some abbreviations have some less favourable links in Western countries, like SongShares, maybe forcing your own abbreviations could be a way around that, and make it into SoSha.

SharesSong might get away with it, because it sounds like the French chanson, meaning song.

Shares In Music if SharesMusic doesn't abbreviate nicely.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:00:14 am by JoeyD »

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
"Songster"

+5%

one of my favorites too

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Just out of curiosity, why do you say that "Songster" is too derivative? Yes, the 2nd syllable rhymes with Napster. Again, though, "Songster" is a real word, not a made-up word, so its partial rhyming with other names shouldn't be a deal-breaker. If rhyming makes a word too derivative, then, by that standard, nearly all of the names suggested so far should be ruled out, including "ear2ear", which rhymes with things like "peer-to-peer".

Actually I think "ear2ear" could be effective, but one possible issue is that a lot of businesses and websites are already using it, far more than are using "songster".

Do a Google search and you'll find not only a website selling hearing aids, but also quite a few music-related sites and musicians' online IDs. Perhaps using "ear2ear" may be ok if Bitshares can carve out a sufficiently unique niche. But "ear2ear" could also make trademark infringement allegations against Bitshares more likely.

Songster just sounds like Napster to me.  It isn't a bad name in any way.  You are right though, if I try to qualify why it is "derivative" there isn't much more reason than others.

Ear2ear seems more catchy, but if it is already widely used that would be a good reason to not use it.  (I didn't google anything.. I just threw out ideas)  I think simple words & names + simple syllables work the best, even if the word is just a name.

Songster to me isn't inspiring or particularly catchy, but it is definitely descriptive and easy to remember.

It isn't that Songster rhymes with Napster, it is that it borrows the complete second syllable and the unique aspect is the word song.  (I didn't realize songster is a word.)  Didn't mean to be too negative or dismissive.  I think uninspired is more of the word I am looking for than derivative.  It is just my opinion though and Songster is still one of the better names suggested.

Ear4Ear ?
EarByEar ?
Ear4Hear ?  Ear4Here?

just brainstorming my .02.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:50:32 am by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline amatoB

• View Profile
Just out of curiosity, why do you say that "Songster" is too derivative? Yes, the 2nd syllable rhymes with Napster. Again, though, "Songster" is a real word, not a made-up word, so its partial rhyming with other names shouldn't be a deal-breaker. If rhyming makes a word too derivative, then, by that standard, nearly all of the names suggested so far should be ruled out, including "ear2ear", which rhymes with things like "peer-to-peer".

Actually I think "ear2ear" could be effective, but one possible issue is that a lot of businesses and websites are already using it, far more than are using "songster".

Do a Google search and you'll find not only a website selling hearing aids, but also quite a few music-related sites and musicians' online IDs. Perhaps using "ear2ear" may be ok if Bitshares can carve out a sufficiently unique niche. But "ear2ear" could also make trademark infringement allegations against Bitshares more likely.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Songster is too derivative IMO.

I still like Canary, but I think ear2ear is great too.

Ear2Ear is one of those names that can have a variety of meanings.  It suggests music.  It is very easy to remember.  No weird syllables that are hard to spell.

Once it takes over the world it would become e2e.  :)

Perhaps EasyEars ?
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline amatoB

• View Profile
We all know it's going to be super important to have a good name for the front end of Bitshares Music. The right name can mean the difference between smashing success and disappointing failure.

So, I'd like to put a plug in for one of the names that was proposed earlier: Songster.

In my opinion, "Songster" provides one of the best opportunities at the current time. It seems to have a number of strengths and few, if any, weaknesses:

1. It's short (only 8 letters, 2 syllables) and easy to say, remember, and spell. In addition, it's a bona fide word in the English dictionary.

2. It's kind of hip and is evocative of names like "Friendster" (the original social network), "napster", and "monster".

3. It has a crystal-clear association with music--no guesswork required. Also, the name makes sense to non-geeks who've never heard of Bitcoin or Bitshares.

4. The name is broad and inclusive--it doesn't just cater to a specialized subset of music types or artist types.

5. The name seems to be available for business use by Bitshares Music, according to the US Patent and Trademark site (but I'm no attorney, so take this statement w/ a grain of salt).

6. The name also seems to have a lot of marketing possibilities within the Bitshares model. It can give the website users a sense of self-empowerment and allow them to identify themselves with the business model.
"Be an Artist. Be an Owner/Promoter. Be a Songster."
"Listen. Record. Share. Earn."
Why spend many $000s or millions marketing an esoteric name when a name like "Songster" lends itself to so many marketing possibilities?

So, in my view the name "Songster" seems like an obviously good choice and a potential slam dunk/home run. Not wanting to slight all the other good suggestions in this thread, but I like it better than any of the others and strongly encourage Eddie, cob, and the BTS Music community to consider it. To the community: What do you think are the drawbacks, if any, to this name? Please share your thoughts.

Offline cryptkeeper

• View Profile
TuneBitz
TuneBit
BitTune
BlockPartyMusic (Block -Blockchain)

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
Quote from: Hadrian
Ear2Ear (means "big smile", ears relate to music, and sounds like peer2peer. Makes me think of passing music between people - from ear to ear)
Ear To Ear

+5%

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:47:41 am by liondani »

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
If the idea is crap, post it anyway
I will do (and sorry if this already came up):

ShareaBitofMusic

BitsofMusic
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
Ear2Ear (means "big smile", ears relate to music, and sounds like peer2peer. Makes me think of passing music between people - from ear to ear)
Ear To Ear
DuckWhistle
uniVERSE
TUNEiVERSE
TuneFork
ForkTune
ForTune
KeyChange
Quaver (a type of note)
TeaMusic (combining "team" with "music" for an unusual result)
hArk
chArtist
PitchIn
KeyHitee  :P
PipeUp
NoteIce
KissArtist (although a piss artist is one who drinks a lot of alcohol)
Bleat
BeeSharp
Wallop!!!
Hearing Aid  ??? :o
KeyPit
aTone
conTone
WaveToMe
ListenUp
newSense
AllEars
ImAlllEars
IMaulEars
BEFG DAC (all the notes)
beefgee
BeefGee
BeefEgg
EggBeef
CowEgg
BullEgg
EggBull

I think I've gone mental
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads