Author Topic: Introducing Sparkle - BitShares meets Proof of Work.  (Read 25374 times)

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
3 things:

1. Very much support this idea, since you are sharedropping to PTS/AGS. If you decide to sharedrop some to BTS, you will probably gain much more support from the community since I think that most people's interests should be by now in BTS anyway..40/40/20 maybe to keep everyone happy? Please don't sharedrop to BTC, Doge or anything else. There is no point to airdrop to these demographics. The only reason I am not buying any RPCs is because they airdrop to other demographics other than our community and this will just create selling pressure upon launching since undoubtedly BTC,DOGEs will just dump them in the market...

2. This is a call for DEVs...I3 please create something that we can import AGS / PTS keys securely without the need to trust 3rd parties. I always wanted to play Freetrade's Lotto and couldn't because I didn't want with a 3rd party even if Freetrade is a well known member...We want as many as possible experiments like these to airdrop to our community without the fear initial shareholders to lose everything..

3. If I understand correctly the OP stated PTS/AGS as of 5th November. No point to buy PTS now since sparkle will not be airdropped to new PTS. Correct?

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I didn't mean to imply that that "I" i used in that post was the OP here! That was just a means of making a general point (in a bit a cocky way).

It has nothing to do with your use of I, but the choice of calling a group of people who believe in a certain type of crypto project "idiots".   After reading and replying to your long pms giving me me the same spiel I come to see what people's opinions are in this thread and I see you calling a whole group of people idiots for a fairly harmless opinion.  I don't know if I am supposed to post a picture with a facepalm meme or something.  It is just amazing to me.  The whole of this thread is. 

It is one thing to say "Gamey/AG/onceupatime" do not be so antagonistic.  That is reasonable.  I know I like to argue.  It is a weak spot of mine.  Most people have weak egos and don't like to do it.  I don't care, confrontation doesn't bother me.  I realize it isn't productive in a lot of areas in life but forums are different. The main thing is to not carry grudges and ruin the rest of the forum.  Thats when we start creating problems.

I'm not sure what to do here.  The fact that the whole implanting of a "cult" has worked on what I consider some of the smarter members makes me a bit sad.  Either that or I don't understand this thread at all.  I see the same thing on any forum.  You have a wide mixture of people.  Some confrontational, some not so confrontational.  That is a good thing IMO.

edit - after talking to delulo a bit more, I will try to not be as beligerant going forward.  Heck I'll even apologize to CH.  He should realize that no group attacked him until he started up with his suggestive talk.  He's been posting here for weeks with quality posts with no real negativity and was accepted as part of the community.  It was only when 1 person said something negative did he launch into his what is wrong with this forum speech.  I have a hard time accepting that, because I think by and large most people are quite susceptible.  Next time I'll try to be a nice lil boy.  FINIS
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:09:19 pm by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Charles is a genius but not at the things people see.

We now have Xeroc and Toast both calling this thread cult-like.  Who would this cult be?  Is it the poster onceupatime and newbie AG that make up this cult against sparkles?  I'm genuinely confused.

Is it the anti-CH cult?  CH has said dozens of things without any negativity aimed at him except for the back and forth between him and fuz.  Thats their thing and has nothing to do with the community as a whole.

Charles and others have been quite good at planting this idea of a tribe/cult.  It sticks.  I'm not sure.  If you challenge it, people seem to see it as reinforcing the suggestion.  If you don't challenge it.. I don't know.  Apparently the belief is it will go away, but I suspect they'll keep suggesting it.

Look, this exists on every forum.  For some reason you guys are exceedingly sensitive when it happens on your forum.

And Delulo, for all your high-minded speaking I find it awfully ironic you call people idiots who believe in other coins.  I'm not making a judgement about you being right or wrong, but maybe consider your own words more before lecturing others to such an extent?

If I fork what Bitshares is today and publish it here, on BTT and write a coindesk article, it would be completely worthless, aside from a few idiots that believe that I would be good at making this in anyway better than the original or at least fill some niche the original doesn't.

Anyway.. The Sparkles dude deserves a new thread.  I think we can all agree on that.
I didn't mean to imply that that "I" i used in that post was the OP here! That was just a means of making a general point (in a bit a cocky way).

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Charles is a genius but not at the things people see.

We now have Xeroc and Toast both calling this thread cult-like.  Who would this cult be?  Is it the poster onceupatime and newbie AG that make up this cult against sparkles?  I'm genuinely confused.

Is it the anti-CH cult?  CH has said dozens of things without any negativity aimed at him except for the back and forth between him and fuz.  Thats their thing and has nothing to do with the community as a whole.

Charles and others have been quite good at planting this idea of a tribe/cult.  It sticks.  I'm not sure.  If you challenge it, people seem to see it as reinforcing the suggestion.  If you don't challenge it.. I don't know.  Apparently the belief is it will go away, but I suspect they'll keep suggesting it.

Look, this exists on every forum.  For some reason you guys are exceedingly sensitive when it happens on your forum.

And Delulo, for all your high-minded speaking I find it awfully ironic you call people idiots who believe in other coins.  I'm not making a judgement about you being right or wrong, but maybe consider your own words more before lecturing others to such an extent?

If I fork what Bitshares is today and publish it here, on BTT and write a coindesk article, it would be completely worthless, aside from a few idiots that believe that I would be good at making this in anyway better than the original or at least fill some niche the original doesn't.

Anyway.. The Sparkles dude deserves a new thread.  I think we can all agree on that.
I speak for myself and only myself.

merockstar

I don't see value in a PoW BitShares, but I see a competitor. I speak for myself, I'm not that much invested into the social consensus anyway, since I've not been here early enough in AGS/PTS. And from my purely BTS point of view, this is not a friendly project, just a new thing that will murky the water and the message if it is labeled as a BitShares project.

That's not a threat or anything, and I sincerely wish you good luck. I just happen to believe that this project brings no value, and I express myself here because I don't like how criticism is criticized.

If he's sharedropping PTS, well, you can buy PTS for awfully cheap right now.

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile
I don't see value in a PoW BitShares, but I see a competitor. I speak for myself, I'm not that much invested into the social consensus anyway, since I've not been here early enough in AGS/PTS. And from my purely BTS point of view, this is not a friendly project, just a new thing that will murky the water and the message if it is labeled as a BitShares project.

That's not a threat or anything, and I sincerely wish you good luck. I just happen to believe that this project brings no value, and I express myself here because I don't like how criticism is criticized.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

merockstar

maybe someday if you get the PoW BitShares working well, it can serve as a backup to DPOS BitShares.

Offline sparkles

• View Profile
I have basic block production working via mining.   

This afternoon I will update the code to pay the miners and workers.

Once that is done I will be looking for people willing to host seed nodes in exchange for a worker position.   

Testnet can go live shortly thereafter and launch will occur shortly after BTS releases their next version and I have time to migrate all of their latest features and bug fixes.

Offline roadscape

May I please keep a single thread in the Main Discussion part of the forum.   Moving it here will have it mostly ignored and isn't really supporting it.

I say keep it here (or start a "fresh" one). It's a very interesting idea and discussion.

---

To add to the off-topic conversation I skimmed through:

When BitShares takes off, we will be flooded with threads like this. It's a good thing.
A. It means BitShares has value and vision that's worth cloning or competing against
B. BitShares is more than code, it's a philosophy I want to spread. We must allow for creative interpretations and implementations.
C. Only thing better than a decentralized BTS SuperDAC is a decentralized ecosystem of decentralized experiments

In the long run, BTS is guaranteed to have many worthy competitors.. it's healthy.
If we work together, we will bring about the change that we want to see in the world faster.

TLDR: They copy us, we copy them, society wins.
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline sparkles

• View Profile
May I please keep a single thread in the Main Discussion part of the forum.   Moving it here will have it mostly ignored and isn't really supporting it.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I heartily support this effort and this thread makes us look like a cult.

Please don't let anyone discourage you!
+5% +5%

I am sorry but I agree that BitShares seem to have grown a "cult" ..
Let me repeat again that we only have competitors .. not enemies. Nor are we at war!

If a competitor can take away all your work, put a few simple twists on it, and make all your holders poor...would you call it friendly competition?  Business is in many ways warfare...

I wonder how Xerox felt when they showed a special someone the mouse...just to watch him take it and never give credit. 
Is this competition?  Or is this theft?  We are all in a place where we are trying to reimagine everything...but how do we do that when the game hasn't changed?

I think the gift economy is the beginnings of this.  I hope to see it come to fruition.
The answer is pretty simple: If I fork what Bitshares is today and publish it here, on BTT and write a coindesk article, it would be completely worthless, aside from a few idiots that believe that I would be good at making this in anyway better than the original or at least fill some niche the original doesn't.
So ALL that counts in crypto / open source economies is a talented team, funding and mindshare!

Offline fuzzy

+5% +5%

Let me repeat again that we only have competitors .. not enemies. Nor are we at war!

If a competitor can take away all your work, put a few simple twists on it, and make all your holders poor...would you call it friendly competition?  Business is in many ways warfare...

I wonder how Xerox felt when they showed a special someone the mouse...just to watch him take it and never give credit. 
Is this competition?  Or is this theft?  We are all in a place where we are trying to reimagine everything...but how do we do that when the game hasn't changed?

I think the gift economy is the beginnings of this.  I hope to see it come to fruition.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

+5% +5%

+5% and see your competitors as inspiration and playmates that help make your own product better!
Be water my friend :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqHSbMR_udo That helps your own success and brings less conflict to the world!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

+5% +5%

Offline fuzzy

One final thing (to show I am interested in helping your project in return for your PTS/AGS sharedropping).  You should contact the Gridcoin Devs.  If this is done right, you could use Gridcoin in addition to the Proof of Work mining to make something truly beneficial to humanity while still having a great deal of the benefits from the DPOS side of the equation. 

Gridcoin largely would mitigate the "needless mining" argument because the mining is directed toward something of value to humanity in addition to mining blocks. 

Perhaps you could explain a little bit the details of everything in a hangout with us at some point.  I would love to chat with you and I think it helps communication and trust when we can hear each others' voices.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D