Author Topic: What is the focus of BitShares now?  (Read 14992 times)

Offline betax

• View Profile
I have to tell the people that bytemaster and his philosophy is good, also the software, but that the community is mostly selfish, non-charity, pennyfaces who pretend to be anarchists but are only in for the money.

+5%

+5%

-10%..

I feel that you missjudge this community...The ones who were just in for the money dumped their BTS a year ago at very high levels and never came back..
The ones that still post here after all the dumping are people who do care but cashed their profits or the ones that believed all the hype and didn't dump when they should have done like the rest. It is absolutely normal many people to be frustrated because day by day for the past year they see their money dissapear and constantly make one loss after the other because of the unstoppable dumping..And despite all their losses they are still here..If they didn't care they would have already moved to somewhere else.. It is very easy to judge others of greediness when you cashed your profits already..

What pisses me off is that most people that made their huge profits out of BTS in reality it appears that they moved to the next thing and never really cared about BTS. Otherwise they would support it by at least buying back at these levels..So we are just left here with the hope of attracting new people in the future..anyways..

+5% +5% +5%
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
I have to tell the people that bytemaster and his philosophy is good, also the software, but that the community is mostly selfish, non-charity, pennyfaces who pretend to be anarchists but are only in for the money.

+5%

+5%

-10%..

I feel that you missjudge this community...The ones who were just in for the money dumped their BTS a year ago at very high levels and never came back..
The ones that still post here after all the dumping are people who do care but cashed their profits or the ones that believed all the hype and didn't dump when they should have done like the rest. It is absolutely normal many people to be frustrated because day by day for the past year they see their money dissapear and constantly make one loss after the other because of the unstoppable dumping..And despite all their losses they are still here..If they didn't care they would have already moved to somewhere else.. It is very easy to judge others of greediness when you cashed your profits already..

What pisses me off is that most people that made their huge profits out of BTS in reality it appears that they moved to the next thing and never really cared about BTS. Otherwise they would support it by at least buying back at these levels..So we are just left here with the hope of attracting new people in the future..anyways..

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

+5%

+5%
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Tuck Fheman

If you were to ask a Bitcoiner ...

That's like asking a politician if you should vote (or insert better analogy, I'm on 3 hrs sleep). ;)

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
The purpose of Bitshares is to secure life, liberty and property for all.

If you were to ask a Bitcoiner, they would say Bitcoin is already doing that. So in what way does BitShares secure Life, Liberty etc and Bitcoin doesnt?

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
The purpose of Bitshares is to secure life, liberty and property for all. How? By using technology to decentralise the power of money, to codify a digital constitution with consensus forming the backbone of its governance. Why? To ensure the network is resistant to corruption over time, enabling a participant to resist theft or censorship.

The features and products will provide utility and ease use of use, but this is secondary to the core purpose.

Adoption may come from the latter but the resilience of the network will come from absolute dedication and delivery of the former.

Resisting corruption over time is the principal benefit of crypto given that corruption is the most significant factor in shaping the world around us.

This community has been amazingly resiliant, innovative and hard working.  All voices have the opportunity to be heard. We need a broad spectrum of views. Courtesy and patience should be front and centre in how we continue to conduct our interactions.

If Bitshares is made a success by those seeking profit or those seeking to change the world, it matters not. As long as the system is built to uphold and safeguard its original purpose, initial personal profit will become insignificant compared to the benefits to humanity over the course of a thousand years.  If the vision of Bitshares is realised "well then we'll have something we've never had before, a 'planet' of our own."

Imagine a world where innovation could not be stifled.
  Yes.  Very well said
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline seocuenta

• View Profile
  +5%

Offline Buck Fankers

• Under New Management
    • View Profile
    • TuckFheman.com
  • BitShares: buckfankers
The purpose of Bitshares is to secure life, liberty and property for all.

And to defeat the Espheni.  :P

Offline Thom

The purpose of Bitshares is to secure life, liberty and property for all. How? By using technology to decentralise the power of money, to codify a digital constitution with consensus forming the backbone of its governance. Why? To ensure the network is resistant to corruption over time, enabling a participant to resist theft or censorship.

The features and products will provide utility and ease use of use, but this is secondary to the core purpose.

Adoption may come from the latter but the resilience of the network will come from absolute dedication and delivery of the former.

Resisting corruption over time is the principal benefit of crypto given that corruption is the most significant factor in shaping the world around us.

This community has been amazingly resiliant, innovative and hard working.  All voices have the opportunity to be heard. We need a broad spectrum of views. Courtesy and patience should be front and centre in how we continue to conduct our interactions.

If Bitshares is made a success by those seeking profit or those seeking to change the world, it matters not. As long as the system is built to uphold and safeguard its original purpose, initial personal profit will become insignificant compared to the benefits to humanity over the course of a thousand years.  If the vision of Bitshares is realised "well then we'll have something we've never had before, a 'planet' of our own."

+5% +5% +5%

Yet again you hit it out of the park Ben. Well said!
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo

Tuck Fheman

... but that the community is mostly selfish, non-charity, pennyfaces who pretend to be anarchists but are only in for the money.

Have you posted here? :  https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,17354.0.html

If not, do so. In no time you'll be doing this:

BTW, I completely disagree with your above sentiment. However, I can understand your frustration given the circumstances you've outlined in other threads. Keep your chin up and have faith! 

Offline DMo09

• View Profile

Be careful not to make assumptions about the many based on your experience with few.  It sounds like your expectations were let down somehow and now you are now projecting your frustrations.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I think too often we get caught up in talking about various features and that is where you lose people... because almost every feature aside from maybe the affiliate program requires some kind of background understanding/knowledge of crypto and/or BitShares.

Here is where the messaging needs to focus I think.

BitShares is a platform for high speed, secure, globally decentralized marketplace where new apps and markets can be launched similar to the way apps for your Apple iPhone are made available through their platform. The difference is, it doesn't belong to one company, it belongs to anybody who is a holder of 'bitshares'.

Noticed I said nothing about crypto.. we got to stop that.. we got to stop mentioning 'like bitcoin'.. if someone asks because thats there background.. sure.. but the OP is more concerned about the messaging at large from what I understood.

Essentially I am saying the medium is still the message. The platform is the focus in 2.0 and it should remain so.

All other elements that people bring to BitShares in terms of what can be done on the BitShares platform will be for them to do.. not for BitShares itself.

My 2 brownies. :)
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

+5%

While I might fit the above profile, the vast majority of this community have experienced major losses but have remained supporters for nearly two years and looking at Brownie PTS have gone above and beyond in their contributions expecting very little in return. I would say you have one of the most generous, committed communities and I think it says a lot that you think so little of them Riverhead.

I don't know how anyone can be critical of the community. This is one of the best, most welcoming, more innovative communities in the whole space. What community is better doing more right now?

Certainly not Bitcoin. Bitcoin can't even make big decisions about the max block size. Also Bitcoin is being taken over by mysterious VCs, Wall Street and others, not that I have anything wrong with these people but the VC Wall Street crowd isn't as open minded, willing to experiment, and if you're not from their background they don't invite you to the events or even want to deal with you.

I'd say while the Bitshares community has had it's failures, such as Truthcoin, or other collaboration fails like MyMindShare, it also had it's successes. People stick with Bytemaster and team because of the constant innovation and technical programming ability. Other communities do not have the people capable of creating Bitshares 2.0 or they'd have come up with it first.

I think a priority for us, a first order priority, should be to increase volume dramatically for Bitshares once Bitshares 2.0 is released. Bitshares 2.0 can support as much volume as we can throw at it and we should fully take advantage of that by encouraging as much volume as possible knowing that other technologies can't take the same volume. Bitshares 2.0 can find a niche in doing things that can only be done with DPoS 2.0, and the 100,000 transactions per second.

I would also say if there is growth, if the market cap does improve, then much more effort should go into finding top programming talent. There should be people right now scanning the fields, looking to find talent, looking to recruit, so that when the volume does go up these people can be approached. A mailing list would work just fine to recruit talent and keep them in the wings for when Bitshares 2.0 can afford them.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:54:12 am by luckybit »

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Does Bitshares currently have a mission statement? Or some notion of its values and goals. Perhaps a constitution? It might be a really good community building exercise to do given the upcoming release of Bitshares 2. Maybe develop a list of questions and do a survey of the community.

Bitshares is like a business or cooperative. A mission statement should be ratified by the delegates but I would avoid anything too detailed because you don't want to upset potential customers/members with too much rhetoric or ideology. Less is more, like don't be evil.

I think the main issue with Bitshares and Bitshares 2.0 is at least with Bitshares 1.0 the software was very experimental, unstable, and not ready for prime time. Bitshares 2.0 is preparing to be ready for prime time, it can scale, if it is stable, if it has the capabilities being marketed, then the market cap can easily go into the billions of dollars.

Plenty of opportunities for growth in the developing world where they don't have access to anything like Bitshares, or Greece where they don't have a functioning economy and the idea of replacing the Euro with Bitcoin was ridiculous but having Bitshares 2.0 in Greece would make a lot more sense.

I think for marketing the focus could be just on getting Bitshares on ATMs so people can for example buy UIA's from an ATM machine. Once we get to that point then the UIA's can market Bitshares without direct marketing effort. It will be great if I could go to an ATM, buy some Starbucks rewards on, load it into my smart phone, and have it be just like as if I took out cash.

In the developing world, or even in the developed world, the big feature to bring in mass adoption would be UIA's or assets which pay dividends. People do not trust banks even in the developed world, and there aren't a lot of places where people can get 5%-10% on their money year to year, yet with Bitshares anyone in the world should be able to have the opportunity to access that while today you can't even open an account with certain people if you're not already a big player.

So due to inflation, people want to take their cash out of banks. Due to currency manipulation, controls or other reasons, people don't want to store their wealth as cash.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:55:37 am by luckybit »