Author Topic: What is the focus of BitShares now?  (Read 14999 times)

Offline openledger

• Board Moderator
  • Blockchain powered, people driven
    • View Profile
    • OpenLedger.info - Blockchain Solutions, Services and Products for Businesses
  • BitShares: ccedkbts
The point I'm trying to make is a serious one, not just repeated philosophical sound-bites. The principal value of Bitshares is corruption/centralisation resistance with the ability to scale. Why are investors not interested in that? Because they don't think it works? Or it won't be allowed to work? Don't want it to work? Don't get how it works? DPOS is the core  innovation that sets Bitshares apart from many other projects.  If you are saying we need institutional investors, well then I disagree. We need to earn the trust of ordinary people and if successful, new institutions will grow from that.  You might say that ordinary people don't care about corruption, they just want easy.  Well they might care more once everyone gets burned by the central banking super theft etc

What is the simplest, most compelling argument for people to use Bitshares? Bitshares can protect you, everybody, the planet from the effects of tyranny that results from the mis-use of the power of money.

All the application layers, the decentralized market, the pegged assets, smart contracts, the referral systrem etc are brilliant features. But they are worthless without the network's integrity. Good money drives out bad. Bitshares must be synonymous in people's minds with good money or eventually, people and the new corporations will be utilising a different network.....

How do we summarise what Bitshares can do?  Well it offers an efficient, secure, low-cost means of sending, recieving, executing and recording transactions. This provides the framework for buliding digital networks with a variety of features like decentralised markets, pegged assets.....etc. New features and applications are being innovated all the time. In simple terms Bitshares can be your accountant, lawyer, insurer, estate-agent, banker, government, post office, stock market etc and money. It really depends on what the user wants to do with Bitshares.

I think personally you have hit the nail right where it needs to be. When reading this, I got a more personal understanding to Bitshares so I sent it immediately to my Forbes contact for him to start preparing the material for his "best article ever" on the Bitshares 2.0 launch.

I will attend the The 10th Global Money Transfer Summit held 15-16 September at L39, Canary Wharf, London as a speaker up against the big guys from Bitpay, Circle and Bitcoin Foundation on the panel on Sept. 16th covering crypto currency and only second year they have crypto included. This i a 1700 GBP entrance fee event meant for the CEO's and similar of major money remittance system providers like Weestern Union, Moneygram, World Remit and many more from all over the world.

What I wanted to say with this is, that your explanation is going to be added to my file as important information to clearly picture what Bitshares is all about to these influential people from all over the world. I only have a slot of some 8-10 minutes so I have to be very direct and informative, aming an impression to help Bitshares get an early footprint into the world's remittance industry.
OpenLedger blockchain in services and solutions - https://openledger.info
BitShares explorer: https://bitsharescan.com
BitShares commitee member since 2015

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

wow... +5% +5% +5% to Empirical..That was a very good summary of the whole situation.

Before I park myself here I was in 20 different communities and I was doing profitable trading with 20 different coins all the time.
People and Devs of this community kept me here despite all my huge losses with BTS. This community is by far the best out there and I really think that we have the less greedy people out there...

Now that's a testimony! He might be a coin whore.. but BitShares turned out to be his only true love. :)

Awesome..  +5%
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
The purpose of Bitshares is to secure life, liberty and property for all. How? By using technology to decentralise the power of money, to codify a digital constitution with consensus forming the backbone of its governance. Why? To ensure the network is resistant to corruption over time, enabling a participant to resist theft or censorship.

I think that's the philosophical part. Most didn't give a direct and concise answer. What services does BitShares provide? What is BitShares about? If we can't explain that how can we hope to attract new people'? Ben, I appreciate your posts and although I get you, an investor won't care at all about most of what you just said.

NuShares and Nubits aims to provide stable cryptocurrency pegged to the US Dollar.

BitShares aims to ??? The best I can come up with at the moment is BitShares is a platform which allows for development of financial tools via smartcontracts. Dunno if that's the most correct option. However, even if it is, "financial tools" is a term too relative. I think I can't explain too well but from what I've seen neither did most people in this thread. So the question here is what will those smartcontracts be based on?

Before it was easier. I could say BitShares is a decentralized exchange but now seems to be way more than that and people may have a difficult time trying to understand the concept.

The point I'm trying to make is a serious one, not just repeated philosophical sound-bites. The principal value of Bitshares is corruption/centralisation resistance with the ability to scale. Why are investors not interested in that? Because they don't think it works? Or it won't be allowed to work? Don't want it to work? Don't get how it works? DPOS is the core  innovation that sets Bitshares apart from many other projects.  If you are saying we need institutional investors, well then I disagree. We need to earn the trust of ordinary people and if successful, new institutions will grow from that.  You might say that ordinary people don't care about corruption, they just want easy.  Well they might care more once everyone gets burned by the central banking super theft etc

What is the simplest, most compelling argument for people to use Bitshares? Bitshares can protect you, everybody, the planet from the effects of tyranny that results from the mis-use of the power of money.

All the application layers, the decentralized market, the pegged assets, smart contracts, the referral systrem etc are brilliant features. But they are worthless without the network's integrity. Good money drives out bad. Bitshares must be synonymous in people's minds with good money or eventually, people and the new corporations will be utilising a different network.....

How do we summarise what Bitshares can do?  Well it offers an efficient, secure, low-cost means of sending, recieving, executing and recording transactions. This provides the framework for buliding digital networks with a variety of features like decentralised markets, pegged assets.....etc. New features and applications are being innovated all the time. In simple terms Bitshares can be your accountant, lawyer, insurer, estate-agent, banker, government, post office, stock market etc and money. It really depends on what the user wants to do with Bitshares.

IOHKCharles

From my point of view, I'm going to have to agree. Given the same handicap, Charles appears to be more sexy than Trump. The brilliance part will be determined once I can see how many times Charles has filed bankruptcy and recovered to run for President.

Dude that's awesome! To be fair, I've been pushed out of two companies so I just need two more. I'm not sure if those count the same as bankruptcy. I'm kinda new to the Trump recovery scale.

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

BitShares aims to serve the same purposes as a bank in which one can store or spend any currency as a stable market pegged asset, allowing for built in exchanges that eliminate the risk of getting goxxed, and an alternative to major stock exchanges for betting on the value of a stock in a decentralized manner which is owned and voted on like a company by anybody who holds the underlying asset.

Martin: What these folks are telling you is true. I really wanted to try running a delegate but decided it was a bad idea because I'm in a similar life position as you, and could foresee some of the same hangups. I don't really have the time to learn the software well enough to maintain a delegate reliably, and don't really have the resources at the moment to contribute value in other ways. So rather than jump in I decided to hold off for the time being and attempt to improve myself to the point where I can be a more valuable asset to the community.

I love you for openly stating your thoughts about marijuana, the black market is a real racket right now. Luckily, four states have legalized and come November I think my state might be following suit. The price should be going way down soon so in time people won't be able to look at you and think, "gee, you're doing this shitty and yet you spend all that money on weed?"

I'm about to matriculate in an online school and I think I just scored a really good paying job. It was hell getting to this point though, but in the end because I focused on myself first I would like to think that I've put myself in a position to eventually bring more to the table.

Take some time, and take care of yourself first and foremost man. Everything will work out. I know that sounds like such a weak ass platitude at this point, but it's really the attitude you should adopt for the time being.

Offline giant middle finger

• View Profile
Hitler said Tuesday that the government should have broad surveillance powers of Germans and private technology firms should cooperate better with intelligence agencies to help combat "evildoers."

Just a slight change for perspective.  :P

Isn't that what Dentist Bits are for?

Tuck Fheman

Hitler said Tuesday that the government should have broad surveillance powers of Germans and private technology firms should cooperate better with intelligence agencies to help combat "evildoers."

Just a slight change for perspective.  :P

Offline giant middle finger

• View Profile
The answer to the OP will be obvious once 2.0 is released:

The focus will be whatever the global BTS consensus votes for.  No discussion or debate will be necessary, just full steam ahead, while bitcoin and Ethereum foundations form subcommittees eternally debating weather or not to raise the debt cieling, while wasting resources in the process.  BitShares is a coin community of action, not gridlock, with a top priority always clearly and undisputedly elected.

You may want to re-name this thread to:

I wonder what the first elected crypto community proposal in the history of planet earth will be?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:18:33 am by giant middle finger »

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
BitShares aims to be the market leader in crypto-backed derivatives as well as related products and services.

Store your funds in $, €, ¥, Au or Ag in a fast, easy to use, globally accessible wallet thereby offering a service that's more private and secure than a Swiss Bank Account. https://moonstone.io/

"It’s like having your savings, checking, and trading accounts in the palm of your hand, accessible from anywhere in the world – with dramatically lower fees than banks and exchanges have ever been able to offer.’

+5% +5% Clear and straight to the point.

We should make sure its truly decentralized though and able to survive outside the US.

Jeb Bush said Tuesday that the government should have broad surveillance powers of Americans and private technology firms should cooperate better with intelligence agencies to help combat "evildoers."

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2015/08/18/jeb-bush-nsa-needs-broader-powers-to-combat-evildoers

Tuck Fheman

... except Tuck (cuz he's insider trading I hear lel)

shhhh. I started working on BitShares Island a little early since I was the only one that showed up for the BITN.

Trump wishes he is as sexy and brilliant as me.

From my point of view, I'm going to have to agree. Given the same handicap, Charles appears to be more sexy than Trump. The brilliance part will be determined once I can see how many times Charles has filed bankruptcy and recovered to run for President.

IOHKCharles

Trump wishes he is as sexy and brilliant as me.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
What is bitshares. Next tell me the primary media outlet to propagate it.

We could hire you, give you a Trump wig, and get you on Fox News. Or not.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
If you want to get more votes, I suggest you tone down the negativity and leave out the drugs. 

Marijuana is a plant. A government calling it another name doesn't make it change into something it's not. It just allows them to extort money and create slave labor with a "Drug War".

Also, right now I don't think BTS investors have charity high on their priority lists

Agreed. I think most are stuck with a loss right now ... except Tuck (cuz he's insider trading I hear lel) and maybe Ander.  :P

No I have a significant loss.  My trades have made some free BTS, but until BTS becomes worth a lot more the fact that I bought a bunch at 2-3 cents each has me sitting at a loss.  At least I've driven my average cost down a lot.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

IOHKCharles

Glad to see that the love has returned with me. So james you have onever sentence. What is bitshares. Next tell me the primary media outlet to propagate it.

Offline James212

• View Profile
So what I'm hearing is BitShares: Life, Liberty and Property. Why not chat with Glenn Beck? This seems to overlap with the Blaze network's core message.

Generally though I would favor avoiding the philosophical discussion in public and force on marketnig Bitshares like you would market Linux, or a financial tool.

+5% +5%
BTS: theangelwaveproject