Author Topic: Repost: Announcing AGS & BitShares Allocation  (Read 67160 times)

Offline bytemaster

This may be a really dumb question, but at what level of precision are AGS going to be calculated?  I am assuming 8 decimal places, but if it's less, I'm curious; also, if they're less, it would be nice to know if they are going to be truncated or rounded.

I only ask because I'm considering trickling in my daily mined PTS > AGS.

This is a very good question and I think my answer is that you should be considerate and send every small donation from the SAME source address.  Then when we build the genesis block it will only be 1 output rather than many small ones.   I would rather not make a rule on this, but for the sake of clarity I am going to make the min threshold to be 0.001 AGS

How do you specify this?  I keep having new addresses being generated.  All of my donations have been at least 1PTS or greater, so I'm not worried about the decimal issue, but its getting to be inconvenient tracking all of my donations.

This was a bounty that produced a variation on the PTS wallet to handle this.  If you use Armory with coincontrol for BTC that is another option.  I personally do not have the answers here.  People in the TechSupport section are being paid to help with these issues.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
This may be a really dumb question, but at what level of precision are AGS going to be calculated?  I am assuming 8 decimal places, but if it's less, I'm curious; also, if they're less, it would be nice to know if they are going to be truncated or rounded.

This is a very good question and I think my answer is that you should be considerate and send every small donation from the SAME source address.  Then when we build the genesis block it will only be 1 output rather than many small ones.   I would rather not make a rule on this, but for the sake of clarity I am going to make the min threshold to be 0.001 AGS

How do you specify this?  I keep having new addresses being generated.  All of my donations have been at least 1PTS or greater, so I'm not worried about the decimal issue, but its getting to be inconvenient tracking all of my donations.
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline bytemaster

This is a good point, given the roll over nature we could potentially allow full precision.  I just don't want a 300 MB genesis block full of meaningless .00000001 inputs that cannot be spent because they are lower than the minimum transaction fee.

;)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline dxtr

• United We Stand, Dispersed We Are.
    • View Profile
If I understand correctly, then maximum blockchain for every new chain is fixed, and if it reaches it's maximum size, then the oldest blocks, one by one, disappear into nothingness.

If this is right reasoning then why should anyone care about genesis block size, since sooner or later it will go?

Shouldn't then everyone be given even the smallest amount of any promised asset?

Who can predict if, over time, even 0.00000001PTS will have or have not a value of some significance?

And also genesis block will be the same for every new chain respecting Consensus, then it's initialization will only be done once in history, with optional later additions to it.
Help me out:     wallet_approve_delegate mr.scroodge true

Offline bytemaster

Would that apply to the intermediate calculations as well (I hope not)?  At some point you're going to have to calculate the intermediate payments for the daily distribution, although this would be prior to the genesis block so it wouldn't really need to be coded in.

Besides, agsexplorer/angelshare.info have done all of the legwork for calculating the shares, and they're at least 8 decimal precision to boot.  I'm hoping that you just take a final tally using a similar method and then apply the truncation/rounding :3

Does not apply to intermediate calculations.  I just want to minimize dust in the new chains.  I will not truncate or round so if you have 1.111111111 PTS you end up with 1.1111111 BTS  but if you only have .0001 PTS you end up with 0 AGS.

I say all of this as merely a proposal to encourage people to combine their balances to one address prior to launch to minimize the size of the genesis block in new chains.   Of course every chain creator can choose how to round or if to round, so perhaps I should set no official policy.   

Offline pariah99

• I'm so meta even this acronym.
    • View Profile
Would that apply to the intermediate calculations as well (I hope not)?  At some point you're going to have to calculate the intermediate payments for the daily distribution, although this would be prior to the genesis block so it wouldn't really need to be coded in.

Besides, agsexplorer/angelshare.info have done all of the legwork for calculating the shares, and they're at least 8 decimal precision to boot.  I'm hoping that you just take a final tally using a similar method and then apply the truncation/rounding :3

Offline bytemaster

Offline pariah99

• I'm so meta even this acronym.
    • View Profile

Offline 5chdn

• i wonder how many chars i can put in this field 50
    • View Profile
    • Votesapp
  • GitHub: 5chdn

Offline Koontas

• View Profile

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Ok. Thanks. I'm still wrapping my head around it. My initial question was: Are those 3rd parties more likely to honor PTS or AGS with respect to the structure/qualities of both shares?

Its all about getting attention from everybody who is a player in the DAC universe.

Honoring either will get a new DAC positive attention.
Ignoring either will get a new DAC negative attention.

Over time, it will be much less about getting support from Invictus and much more about pleasing all those stakeholders.

If we were to vanish, it would still be all about those stakeholders. 

We are building a Decentralized Autonomous Community. 
That community will build the Distributed Autonomous Companies.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Ok. Great, thanks for the clarifications.

Offline bytemaster

Ok. Thanks. I'm still wrapping my head around it. My initial question was: Are those 3rd parties more likely to honor PTS or AGS with respect to the structure/qualities of both shares?

So far they plan on honoring both because they want my input / guidance and that is my primary condition to working with people.  They also want to use our code / team / market.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Offline bytemaster

Is it I3's primary goal to have other developers building upon I3 code base? Or will PTS/AGS (both having the same potential here?) primarily be honored because of the attention the new DAC would get from honoring PTS?   

Our goal is to have many DACs built on our code.

....by other developers than you?

Yes, we are already working with several 3rd parties.