Author Topic: Help me Identify the Top 10 most harmful laws!  (Read 11385 times)

Offline thirtyeightptswarrior

Thank you DKP chief, nice surprise, jingle bells!

I have this account now, what do you think about it? I had to do it to shift some sharebits.

#sharebits "38PTSWarrior" 1000 FISTBUMP
#sharebits "38PTSWarrior" 995 PERCENT
#sharebits "fuzzy" 5 PERCENT
#sharebits "38PTSWarrior" 1000 GREATIDEA
#sharebits "38PTSWarrior" 1000 TIPSHARES

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
As an academic discussion, medicinal marijuana is probably one of the better examples, except the penalty is not financial.

It's hard to find examples where there is public sympathy for the offender, because usually those laws are "corrected" in a timely fashion.

Right now there is no sympathy for white-collar financial crimes or securities (not much love for the 1%ers, which is what they will be labeled as whether or not they are), but if a "Mom and Pop Pizza Shop Kickstarter" got pulled down by the SEC, there would be public sympathy for that. There is little sympathy for bitcoin crimes, since bitcoin is that thing criminals use to launder drug money to terrorist (according to public perception) or what you have to pay in if your computer is held ransom.

Medical marijuana has more and more public sympathy. Mainstream media has specials about medicinal marijuana where they try to make it personal and show it different than other drug offenses. In general, there is still little public sympathy for drug offenses, although more people are thinking that mandatory sentencing in some instances may be counter productive
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 09:38:10 pm by maqifrnswa »
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline maqifrnswa

• View Profile
Just don't register to vote and you never get called in the first place.

it's a little harder.
Don't register to vote, don't register a vehicle or get a driver's license, don't have a job that requires a W4 (don't pay taxes), and don't receive any federal or state assistance (unemployment benefits)
maintains an Ubuntu PPA: https://launchpad.net/~showard314/+archive/ubuntu/bitshares [15% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval maqifrnswa true [50% delegate] wallet_account_set_approval delegate1.maqifrnswa true

Offline btstip

• View Profile
  • BitShares: btstip-io
Hey fuzzy, here are the results of your tips...
  • lil_jay890: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
  • yvv: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
  • Stan: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
  • DMo09: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
  • speedy: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
  • cube: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
  • onceuponatime: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
  • Thom: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
  • bitcoinsatan: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
  • CoinHoarder: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
  • mint chocolate chip: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
  • donkeypong: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
  • Empirical1.2: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
  • merivercap: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
  • triox: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
  • luckybit: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
  • Akado: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
  • CLains: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
  • 38PTSWarrior: has been credited 10 BROWNIE.PTS
Curious about ShareBits? Visit us at http://sharebits.io and start tipping BTS on https://bitsharestalk.org/ today!
Created by hybridd

Offline fuzzy

For participating in this BM-Sponsored Quest you have obviously saved bm time by providing valuable input (thus saving him time to have to search himself...leaving him far more time to code, but still with the knowledge that he can accomplish other important tasks at the same time--because he can trust delegating this job to you, the community members). 

For that, I am handing out BMs DKP, Brownies, to those who actively participated in helping this discussion remain productive. Thank you for that.

#sharebits "lil_jay890" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "yvv" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "Stan" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "DMo09" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "speedy" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "cube" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "onceuponatime" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "Thom" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "onceuponatime" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "bitcoinsatan" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "CoinHoarder" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "mint chocolate chip" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "donkeypong" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "Empirical1.2" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "merivercap" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "triox" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "luckybit" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "Akado" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "CLains" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
#sharebits "38PTSWarrior" 10 BROWNIE.PTS
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline yvv

• View Profile

I'll pay the $200+ fine instead IF they ever pull me over again, which is highly unlikely where I drive.

Just keep $50 in your glovebox, and offer it instead of your id when you get pulled over. Every cop will be happy for this bargain :)

38PTSWarrior

Helping someone to kill himself. Maybe in some countries it's even illegal to end ones own life, I don't want to look it up now. I hope it meets all of your points.

Tuck Fheman

Or write them back two words: "Jury Nullification" - they'll probably forget you exist.

The last request I received for jury duty was in 2007.

I use to receive them yearly and simply checked the box that I had a child under the age of ... whatever it required them to be to get out of jury duty.

Coincidentally 2007 was when my drivers license expired and I never renewed it.

I tried renewing it four times and failed.

1st time I tried online, only to be informed that they needed an updated image of me.

2nd time I tried at the DMV. I stood in line for 30 minutes to be informed their system was now down.

3rd time I waited too long to come back (because ... fuck them for wasting my time twice) to try again and was informed I now needed to retake the drivers test, but there was no one available to give me the drivers test.

4th time I waited in line for nearly an hour to be told there was no one available to give me the drivers test.

So I gave up and never looked back, even while driving. ;)

I'll pay the $200+ fine instead IF they ever pull me over again, which is highly unlikely where I drive.

And knowing most of the Sheriff's in my area ... who are either taking kickbacks from local drug dealers or just look the other way unless you've shot someone ... they'll let me go with a warning.

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile
Just don't register to vote and you never get called in the first place.

Offline triox

• View Profile
  • BitShares: triox
I am looking for a list of laws that have the following characteristics:

1. Completely Unjust  (Victimless Crimes)
2. Probability of Getting Caught Violating the law is Low
3. Cost of getting caught is high
4. The penalty for getting caught is mostly financial
5. Have public sympathy for the individual prosecuted

Jury duty?

Nah.  You just have to tell them you are an INTJ personality and they let you off.

Or write them back two words: "Jury Nullification" - they'll probably forget you exist.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Laws against entheogens like LSD, Psilocybin, and DMT, as well as empathogens like MDMA. Spiritual freedom for all o/

« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 02:44:58 pm by CLains »

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
Civil Forfeiture has got to be one of the most unjust stuff I've ever seen.

You're literally robbed by the ones supposed to protect you.

If after the incident you're found guilty, sure, makes sense if it was illegal. But even if you're not guilty they can still take your stuff. It's outrageous and disgusting.

I'd say Gambing too.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

Jury duty?

Nah.  You just have to tell them you are an INTJ personality and they let you off.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

A. Gambling.
B. Prostitution.
C. Crowd funding.
D. Issuing securities (Satoshi Dice?).

I would say with crowd funding you would get a lot of public sympathy. Here you would have people trying to better their own lives, contribute to society, build stuff, and the cruel SEC wants to stop it?

Issuing securities is similar. The SEC would totally be the bad guy unless it's a complete scam. The SEC was not viewed as the good guy for enforcing on Satoshi Dice.

Prostitution is another, most prostitutes who get arrested are not bad people and are just desperate for money. The people arresting them aren't offering them a job, and it's a victimless crime.

And then you have all sorts of situations where a person might leak something which clearly saves lives, such as if there is some toxin in the food which no one knew about. This person might be committing a crime, but most people who are saved from getting sick will be glad the person committed the crime.

Come up with a methodology, also factor in the risk. The risk matrix will give you the risk of facing consequences. The risk assessment can tell you which crimes are low risk high reward if for political protest purposes.  I would say the SEC example is low risk as no one has ever been prosecuted for that except for Satoshi Dice, but at the same time if enough people do get prosecuted for that it could force the laws to change. So if they crack down it would only make the SEC look unhelpful and bad or even irrelevant to a lot of people.

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

I'm aware you're an INTJ, so my guess is you have a consequence and risk based perspective.

What do you think of civil asset forfeiture?