Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 251434 times)

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
Do assets on the order book like a buy/sell order count towards a snapshot if it's done while the assets sit there?

For the BTS-2.0 snapshot the answer is a definite yes.

For other snapshots, it's up to the person who uses the snapshot to define the precise conditions of their sharedrop.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
Do assets on the order book like a buy/sell order count towards a snapshot if it's done while the assets sit there?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline roadscape

Hello guys i have my 7 stupid questions for you.

Good questions!

> 1. If i back up my wallet file on a USB stick and then plug it into a different computer that has a fresh wallet with a different registered account on it will my coins move from one account to the other?

If you import a backup into a different wallet, nothing is "moved". Your new wallet just imports all the keys.
It doesn't create a transaction on the blockchain, if that's what you're wondering.

> 2. will this enable my coins to be accessed on two different pcs at the same time?

Yes, but it's not recommended to use one account on two different wallets/computers, as it may cause headaches down the line. With the future web wallets this will not be the case.

> 3. what happens if one pc gets destroyed somehow will the other wallet be safe?

If you backed it up, then it's safe.

> 4. if i have more than one account in my bitshares wallet dashboard do i need more than one backup file?

No. Backups represent one wallet, which can include many accounts.

You should try importing a backup to a new wallet and make sure all your funds show up, to make sure you have the process down.
That way when disaster strikes, you know what you're doing!

> 5. can i delete an account from the dashboard if i made one by mistake ?

IIRC, no.

> 6. when i add funds to a wallet after its been backed up..do i need a new backup file?

Theoretically no, since our wallets are deterministic.

> 7. do i need to enter my wallet password when i plug the new usb stick in a new computer to input the new wallet..if so where?

Not sure I understand. But when you try to import a wallet backup is when it asks you for the decryption password.
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline Blazin8888

Hello guys i have my 7 stupid questions for you.

1. If i back up my wallet file on a USB stick and then plug it into a different computer that has a fresh wallet with a different registered account on it will my coins move from one account to the other?

2. will this enable my coins to be accessed on two different pcs at the same time?

3. what happens if one pc gets destroyed somehow will the other wallet be safe?

4. if i have more than one account in my bitshares wallet dashboard do i need more than one backup file?

5. can i delete an account from the dashboard if i made one by mistake ?

6. when i add funds to a wallet after its been backed up..do i need a new backup file?

7. do i need to enter my wallet password when i plug the new usb stick in a new computer to input the new wallet..if so where?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 10:40:53 pm by Blazin8888 »

Tuck Fheman

a follow up to my default account question, since that can't be done, what about this.

is there a way in the URI scheme to tell the client to use the 1st account or accountn with /from/accountn/ ?

so if the user clicking the link has more than one account, you can force the client to use the first one found.

I am afraid, this is also not possible :(
Code: [Select]
    xts:name/transfer/[amount/amount/][memo/memo text/][from/sender name/][asset/asset name] (registered accounts)
Anyway, this is just some code in the QT client that could be changed easily. But I don't see this happen in BTS0.9 ..
but maybe you can add a feature request in github to get it done right away ..

Nathan (IIRC, @modprobe) is working on the standalone light_weight client:
https://github.com/cryptonomex/graphene/tree/master/programs/light_client

it may even be possible in Firefox and Chrome to redirect the bts:// protocol to the web-wallet eventually ..

ty

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
So I'm a bit confused about the blockchain for bitshares. It doesn't seem to be the same as the one for bitcoin. For instance you cannot find details on the transaction history.
Does this mean bitshares is private and no one can tell what you've got or who you're sending it to?
The blockchain is publicly readable and not private .. however, even though you can register an account name on the blockchain you can a) not know who OWNS that account name and b) you cannot figure out which transaction was related to that account name (the latter will change a little with BTS2.0)

you can see all blocks with transactions here:
http://bitsharesblocks.com/blocks

Offline ncinic

• View Profile
So I'm a bit confused about the blockchain for bitshares. It doesn't seem to be the same as the one for bitcoin. For instance you cannot find details on the transaction history.
Does this mean bitshares is private and no one can tell what you've got or who you're sending it to?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
a follow up to my default account question, since that can't be done, what about this.

is there a way in the URI scheme to tell the client to use the 1st account or accountn with /from/accountn/ ?

so if the user clicking the link has more than one account, you can force the client to use the first one found.

I am afraid, this is also not possible :(
Code: [Select]
    xts:name/transfer/[amount/amount/][memo/memo text/][from/sender name/][asset/asset name] (registered accounts)
Anyway, this is just some code in the QT client that could be changed easily. But I don't see this happen in BTS0.9 ..
but maybe you can add a feature request in github to get it done right away ..

Nathan (IIRC, @modprobe) is working on the standalone light_weight client:
https://github.com/cryptonomex/graphene/tree/master/programs/light_client

it may even be possible in Firefox and Chrome to redirect the bts:// protocol to the web-wallet eventually ..

Tuck Fheman

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
1st stupid question - why isn't this thread under Questions & Concerns?  ;)
No idea :P

2nd stupid question - can you set the fee in the uri?
No .. fee is set locally in the wallet preferences ... defaults to 0.5 BTS per tx

3rd stupid question - is there a list of all commands that can be used in the uri?
https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/wiki/XTS-URLs

XTS is the base asset of the testnet work .. replace it by "BTS" for BitShares and "DVS" for devshares
Note, that for BitShares 2.0 there may not be an URI scheme like this from the beginning.

Tuck Fheman

1st stupid question - why isn't this thread under Questions & Concerns?  ;)

2nd stupid question - can you set the fee in the uri?

3rd stupid question - is there a list of all commands that can be used in the uri?

thank you

Tuck Fheman

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I doubt it, but it never hurts to ask ... is there a way in .92 to set a default account?

For instance, when using the autotip (in muh sig) link and more than one account is present in the client, the client will sit and wait until you select an account.
unfortunately not ..

Tuck Fheman

I doubt it, but it never hurts to ask ... is there a way in .92 to set a default account?

For instance, when using the autotip (in muh sig) link and more than one account is present in the client, the client will sit and wait until you select an account.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I have a question regarding BTS projects that decided to use the technology but keep their own blockchains (e.g. PeerTracks, Play, FMV)
Are those blockchains going to create their own smartcoins/bit-assets (e.g. bitUSD) or are the going to use smartcoins/bit-assets created by the "main" BTS blockchain?
If the latter is true - will there be some kind of cross-chain mechanism that enables sharing smartcoins/bit-assets across separate BTS blockchains?
I think PeerTracks stated that they will only have IOUs for fiat assets .. like bitstamp_USD in ripple ..
Not sure if PLAY will switch over to Graphene tech but in theory they could have their own pegged assets with PLY as collateral ..
From what I recall FMV is part of the Graphene tech and will not have it's own blockchain ..