Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 251486 times)

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
(1) How can I close the CLI client in a clean way?
There seems to be no command for that (something like "exit" or "quit") and closing the whole window produces a nasty exception.

Under Linux you'd type CTRL-D to signal end-of-input.

(2) Regarding the witness node, is it safe to delete logs stored here?
witness_node_data_dir\logs\p2p
They occupy a lot of disk space.

Yes, but
- they're rotated automatically after 24 hours I think
- if you delete them anyway you should probably modify config.ini so they aren't written to disk in the first place.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

jakub

(1) How can I close the CLI client in a clean way?
There seems to be no command for that (something like "exit" or "quit") and closing the whole window produces a nasty exception.

(2) Regarding the witness node, is it safe to delete logs stored here?
witness_node_data_dir\logs\p2p
They occupy a lot of disk space.

PS. Shall we have a separate "Stupid Questions Thread" dedicated purely to CLI and technical issues regarding Graphene?
Maybe a separate forum thread would be a good way to fill in the gaps in the docs.bitshares.eu documentation.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:01:16 pm by jakub »

jakub

I think it doesn't work that way with the current implementation. But you can work around it but importing an active key of an account that has funds:

1) In the gui, go to the permissions tab of an account that is funded
2) klick on the BTS.... pubkey on the ACTIVE tab and copy the private key
3) in the cli-wallet run:    import_key <accountname> "privkey"
4) then run:    suggest_brain_key     .... and copy the brain key  (make a  backup somewhere)
5) create a new account with

create_account_with_brain_key "<brainkey>" <new_account_name> <imported_name> <imported_name> true

This will create a new account called new_account_name and set the registrar and referrer to "imported_name".
The brainkey can be used to regenerate the account (even in the gui wallet)

you can manually delete the other active key from the "wallet.json" file

Thanks, @xeroc , that was very helpful.
I guess the <imported_name> account needs to be LTM for this to work.

I wonder how OpenLedger solves this for first-time users. They offer you an empty wallet with an account name of your choice already registered but without having access to your private key.
How do they achieve this?

PS. I am going through your http://docs.bitshares.eu documentation and I think I'll have plenty of amendments to offer as there are many gaps in it - such as the issue described above.
One of the first things a user needs to have to be able to play with the CLI is an account with some funds in it - your guide does not address this explicitly.
So right now I am making a list of all the little (but essential) things that are missing in your docs.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
(1) How can I import to my CLI client a wallet originally created in the web GUI?
I would expect something like "restore_backup" command that would accept a *.bin wallet file.
CLI and WEB wallet are two separated applications. They use separated ways to represent backups. I think you can currently only manually import keys from the gui into the cli.

(2) I'd like to create and register a new account in my CLI wallet and pay for the registration from an existing account in the web GUI.
How do I do this? A step by step guide would be appreciated.
I think it doesn't work that way with the current implementation. But you can work around it but importing an active key of an account that has funds:

1) In the gui, go to the permissions tab of an account that is funded
2) klick on the BTS.... pubkey on the ACTIVE tab and copy the private key
3) in the cli-wallet run:    import_key <accountname> "privkey"
4) then run:    suggest_brain_key     .... and copy the brain key  (make a  backup somewhere)
5) create a new account with

create_account_with_brain_key "<brainkey>" <new_account_name> <imported_name> <imported_name> true

This will create a new account called new_account_name and set the registrar and referrer to "imported_name".
The brainkey can be used to regenerate the account (even in the gui wallet)

you can manually delete the other active key from the "wallet.json" file

jakub

(1) How can I import to my CLI client a wallet originally created in the web GUI?
I would expect something like "restore_backup" command that would accept a *.bin wallet file.

(2) I'd like to create and register a new account in my CLI wallet and pay for the registration from an existing account in the web GUI.
How do I do this? A step by step guide would be appreciated.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Not much .. the biggest difference is that public testnest are intended for wider audience ....
I should probably clarify this in the docs ..

jakub

What is the difference between public and private testnet as described here?
http://docs.bitshares.eu/testnet/index.html

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
9 ) Cryptonomex donated it's Graphene Toolkit to BitShares and the community upgraded to BitShares 2.0 in September.

@Stan , does it mean that this proposal involving 10M BTS to be paid to CNX is no longer applicable?

Yes.  You get it for free.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

jakub

9 ) Cryptonomex donated it's Graphene Toolkit to BitShares and the community upgraded to BitShares 2.0 in September.

@Stan , does it mean that this proposal involving 10M BTS to be paid to CNX is no longer applicable?

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
Unfortunately there's not much information about it yet.

Since this is a questions thread... When there will be info page about FBA on Bitshares website? White paper would be even better, but I guess that have to wait.
There is a bsips for it .. iirc bsips#7
http://github.com/bitshares/bsips

Cool! Thanks, didn't have noticed that one yet.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
12 ) We invented a new kind of tradable asset to go with Market Pegged Assets (MPA) and User Issued Assets (UIA).  These are called Fee Backed Assets (FBA).  FBAs are UIAs that have been hardwired to pay their holders a share of the fees generated by some new function or service on the BitShares blockchain.   This provides a new incentive for new developers to add features and get paid for their efforts.  In effect, an FBA is a mini-DAC that shares the BitShares blockchain.  It also gives BitShares interesting new assets to trade that you can't get anywhere else.
Uh, oh, I like that one very much. Will look into it.

Since this is a questions thread... When there will be info page about FBA on Bitshares website? White paper would be even better, but I guess that have to wait.
There is a bsips for it .. iirc bsips#7
http://github.com/bitshares/bsips

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
Good point.  We need to get that in place.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
12 ) We invented a new kind of tradable asset to go with Market Pegged Assets (MPA) and User Issued Assets (UIA).  These are called Fee Backed Assets (FBA).  FBAs are UIAs that have been hardwired to pay their holders a share of the fees generated by some new function or service on the BitShares blockchain.   This provides a new incentive for new developers to add features and get paid for their efforts.  In effect, an FBA is a mini-DAC that shares the BitShares blockchain.  It also gives BitShares interesting new assets to trade that you can't get anywhere else.

Offline 5chdn

• i wonder how many chars i can put in this field 50
    • View Profile
    • Votesapp
  • GitHub: 5chdn

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • PTS went PTS-DPOS? I can import my old PTS wallet in PTS-DPOS now? Is PTS-DPOS still running?
  • AGS went straight into BTS. Or is there anything else?
  • BTS is still BTS? What is BTS 2.0 in a nutshell?
  • Does I3 still exist?
  • How are you doing?

1) PTS has been upgraded to PTS-DPOS .. not sure if it is still running.
At least no one I know of is using it :)

2) AGS has been sharedropped "half" of the BTS

3) BTS(1) has been "upgraded" into BTS2 with a 'pitch fork' ..
Essentially everything was moved over (except for transaction histories
and open orders) .. see http://docs.bitshares.eu/migration/

4) I3 does no longer exist. To separate business (for legal and tax
reaons I think), Dan created a new company called Cryptonomex (CNX) that
has developed Grapehene (the core technology of BTS)

5) Fine .. Heading for FrankfurtMain shortly to get some legal
clarification about Peermit.com (2FA authentication service for
BitShares)

Other Rip Van Winkle factoids:

6 ) Ronny Boesing at the CCEDK exchange has adopted BitShares and is pouring a ton of energy converting his exchange into OpenLedger.info - a decentralized exchange network that is open for other exchanges to build on and share market depth, network effect, and products and services.  It makes its order books public by using the BitShares blockchain as its back end. This is providing us with some much needed effort at building the business and marketing it to new customers.

7 ) There are many other partners who are also building their businesses on top of BitShares.  Lest I leave anyone out, I'll leave it to each of them to add a paragraph to this list.

8 ) After the AGS donations were fully utilized in 2014, the developers formed Cryptonomex to continue to do development for BitShares based on our developers' own sweat equity.  There are about twenty such stakeholders sweating for equity, most from this community.  This led to the lightspeed Graphene Toolkit (limited only by the speed of light and the dimensions of this planet). 

10 ) BitShares 2.0 is the first "real time" DAC which runs at 3 second block times (scalable to 1 second and 100,000 transactions per second) compared to, say, bitcoin's 600 second block times and 7 transactions per second.

11 ) All sorts of new BitShares 2.0 features are summarized on the home page at BitShares.org.  In particular check out the referral program.  You can earn up to 80% of the lifetime network fees of every user you sign up.

13 ) This year Cryptonomex continues to support BitShares in several ways:
    a.  Using its own funds, it is building new FBAs to generate development revenue and drive traffic to BitShares.
    b.  Using community funds, it continues to build community priorities - determined by voting.
    c.  We continue to support other partners with consulting services to grow the number of businesses using BitShares.

14 ) What else am I forgetting?

Other than that, the developers have been mostly slacking off and taking unfair advantage of the poor unfortunate badly abused trolls.  :)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:35:06 pm by Stan »