Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 251359 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
stupid question:

until smartcoins gain liquidity, or we start using sidechains to lock different coins, are there any actual advantages to using UIAs to facilitate trade with centralized  exchanges? or is it just centralized exchanges built into a wallet (which is, in its own right a novel concept)?
The only advantage that I see is that you can (presumably) exchange your BTC IOUs into real IOUs already .. while you can't do that yet for bitBTC

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

stupid question:

until smartcoins gain liquidity, or we start using sidechains to lock different coins, are there any actual advantages to using UIAs to facilitate trade with centralized  exchanges? or is it just centralized exchanges built into a wallet (which is, in its own right a novel concept)?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I just want to make sure that I am not accidentally claiming any of the 2 year vesting balances. I really dont want to do this as I am in it for the painful long hall.
It wouldn't really matter much since they vest linearily. :)

Also when importing into 2.0 it says 'found 10 keys'
but when 'loading balance claims' it kept loading for over 10minutes.
I then thought there must be something wrong so pressed import.
It then imported only 2 keys.
Is there any issue here? If I dont wait it out do I loose funds that I could have claimed?
*No* funds will be lost!

You could help figure out what the issue is by opening the Javascript
console before your open the lookup balance tool.
The javascript console is available by right-click->inspect element in
your browser (unless you use the light wallet) and will tell us what
went wrong. It certainly shouldn't take minuts.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
Hi there,
I am trying to export wallet files for importing into openledger.
I looking to import a .dat protoshares wallet/angelshares wallet into 0.9.3c and then export the .json file as instructed below:
http://docs.bitshares.org/bitshares/migration/howto-exporting-wallet.html

I am using Ubuntu (used it before and worked fine). I am downloading the 0.9.3c from https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-0.x/releases
for some reason when selecting 'file' and then 'import' the browser is unable to 'see' the .dat files.

What might I be doing wrong. Any help here would be super awesome. Thanks!
The wallet dat files are handled differently. Sorry for not atating it clearly.

You need to do this:
- create an account in bts0.9.3c (no need to "register" it)
- go into the account details ...
- import key ...
- pick your wallet.dat file an passphrase
you should now see your funds and can export your wallet for bts2
Thanks for getting back to me.
created an account in 0.9.3c, imported an AGS wallet.dat file and entered the password.
It said the keys were successfully imported.

I then exported a .json wallet.
But when trying to import the wallet to openledger it gave me the following error "Please use a BTS 1.0 wallet_export_keys file instead"
I downloaded 0.9.3c from here https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-0.x/releases/download/bts%2F0.9.3c/bitsharesGUI-0.9.3c-linux-x86_64.tar.gz
I'm pretty sure thats the latest 0.9 version, so not sure whats going on.
Thanks for your help Xeroc  :)

Have you exported the wallet with the console?

If you used the export function in the menu, please try to use the console command instead.
Fantastic! that worked  :D
Thanks a lot for all your help. I would have been completely lost.

EDIT: Tried to claim more than one balance and got the following error: "Failed to broadcast the transaction:
Genesis vesting balances may not be claimed more than once per day."
I dont mind this.

I just want to make sure that I am not accidentally claiming any of the 2 year vesting balances. I really dont want to do this as I am in it for the painful long hall.

Also when importing into 2.0 it says 'found 10 keys'
but when 'loading balance claims' it kept loading for over 10minutes.
I then thought there must be something wrong so pressed import.
It then imported only 2 keys.
Is there any issue here? If I dont wait it out do I loose funds that I could have claimed?

Sorry for all the questions.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 06:50:24 pm by MrJeans »

Offline Bhuz

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bhuz
Hi there,
I looking to import a .dat protoshares wallet/angelshares wallet into 0.9.3c and then export the .json file as instructed below:

I am using Ubuntu (used it before and worked fine). I am downloading the 0.9.3c from https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-0.x/releases
for some reason when selecting 'file' and then 'import' the browser is unable to 'see' the .dat files.

You need to do this:
- import key ...
created an account in 0.9.3c, imported an AGS wallet.dat file and entered the password.

But when trying to import the wallet to openledger it gave me the following error "Please use a BTS 1.0 wallet_export_keys file instead"
I downloaded 0.9.3c from here https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-0.x/releases/download/bts%2F0.9.3c/bitsharesGUI-0.9.3c-linux-x86_64.tar.gz

Have you exported the wallet with the console?

If you used the export function in the menu, please try to use the console command instead.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
Hi there,

You need to do this:
- import key ...

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Hi there,

You need to do this:
- import key ...

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
Hi there,

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 11:41:10 pm by MrJeans »

Offline konelectric

@hcf27: It shouldn't be your task to fill up the fee pool of obits and you have no benefit from doing so ... i have notified @ccedk to refill the pool ..

If you download the cli-wallet, you don't need to download the blockchain, you can connect to any of the existing full nodes (e.g. wss://bitshares.openledger.info/ws)

I see, so I can only fill my the pool of the assets I created?... I get the same message for gold or for usd...

really I was just playing around to see if it was possible
Technically you could fill any fee pool .. at least the blockchain would accept those transactions .. however, there seems to be a limitation in the user interface that assumes that you are the owner and expects you own the keys of the owner ... even though it wouldn't need them ..
The cli-wallet is a little more flexible and lets you define from which account to pay the "pool fund" transaction .. but the web GUI does not yet ..

You could simple contact the owner  of the Asset and say "I want to fill your fee pool, here are some BTS."
Tweeter: Konelectric. Steemit: Konelectric. Youtube: Patrick Konshak. Success Council: Yourship. Mumble: Yourship or Konelectric.

Offline hcf27

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hcf27
Do we know how much BTS is locked up as collateral?

jakub

(1) What is the formula that determines the number of elected witnesses and committee members?

(2) I can vote both for and against a worker proposal. What is the reason I cannot vote against a witness or a committee member?

This^ anyone?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Thanks .. much appreciated

Offline hcf27

• View Profile
@hcf27: It shouldn't be your task to fill up the fee pool of obits and you have no benefit from doing so ... i have notified @ccedk to refill the pool ..

If you download the cli-wallet, you don't need to download the blockchain, you can connect to any of the existing full nodes (e.g. wss://bitshares.openledger.info/ws)

I see, so I can only fill my the pool of the assets I created?... I get the same message for gold or for usd...

Technically you could fill any fee pool .. at least the blockchain would accept those transactions .. however, there seems to be a limitation in the user interface that assumes that you are the owner and expects you own the keys of the owner ... even though it wouldn't need them ..
The cli-wallet is a little more flexible and lets you define from which account to pay the "pool fund" transaction .. but the web GUI does not yet ..

Thanks for all your help, I sent you a little tip for all your troubles and answering my stupid questions lol

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline hcf27

• View Profile