Author Topic: Business development delegate  (Read 39101 times)

Offline Thom

All seed nodes are operational as is the newly created verbaltech2 witness. It has been a very long day but glad to see it pay off with success!

Thanks to everyone for all your hard work and dedication to the cause. As my delegate tools partner wackou says the names that helped along the way are too numerous to list, but I must at least thank Bytemaster for all of his expert assitance which he provided after working hours when he should have been out celebrating with the team.

And to everyone in this community I bid you farewell for now.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Thom

While I wait on the 0.9.3c client to finish scanning to get an up-to-date balance, I thought I'd post a quick update here on the progress our delegate has made since wackou posted here last month.

We have both been frantically working our asses off getting ready for the public release of graphene tomorrow, with wackou working on bts_tools and me working on a comprehensive VPS setup script for Ubuntu and Debian Linux. The idea is to bring a brand new bare bones VPS to a common state of readyness to run a full graphene seed or witness, including all updates, packages, tools and graphene itself.

It has been a very intense week of preparations and much testing! I have learned a huge amount just since last Friday alone. I am very confident now in my ability to quickly deploy a graphene node into production.

Wackou and I are fully agreed that deployment of the "small world" backbone architecture will need to come after the rollout, in part b/c the Cyptonomex team has had their hands full and will not be able to add the API call to the codebase until after graphene is live. The C++ API code additions we would like to facilitate a better backbone system were not too difficult to implement, and wackou has already coded them and submitted a pull request to Cryptonomex for inclusion when the dev team can find the time to merge it in. They provide functionality missing in graphene that was present in the 0.9.3c codebase.

I have completed the setup of 4 VPS systems as graphene seed nodes, for use in production starting tomorrow. Once Cryptonomex announces the final "go live" / release version of graphene I will deploy it to those seeds so they are ready for users to connect. They are running on the testnet until then.

That's about it. Both wackou and I will be campaigning for your votes to run a graphene witness to continue our work in making the BitShares network robust, reliable and fault tolerant.

One last note about The BitShares Saga. I had to put work on that project on hold as I just didn't have the time to continue the research, writing and website development AND obsorb all of the new information about graphene, not to mention participate in the forum discussions where various aspects of graphene were conceived and shaped. However, I remain excited and passionate and am looking forward to getting back to continue writing and complete the BitShares Saga book series. If you haven't seen what it is all about go check out the website and read the introduction. Do it now!

Thank you for your support!

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 03:11:46 am by Thom »
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline fuzzy

Should we no longer vote or the delegate  btstools.digitalgaia and put all our support into the verbaltech delegate to continue supporting you?

At this point, I don't recommend to vote for btstools.digitalgaia anymore, as the pay from verbaltech is more than enough to pay for the servers. That shouldn't change anything, though, because I didn't expect my delegate to be voted in before the release of BitShares 2.0 anyway.

In the (unlikely) event it gets voted in, I think I would do a poll like Thom did to ask the community for their opinions, and burn it or redirect it to some other deserving delegates (I can think of a few that are still not voted in but have contributed a lot).

In summary:
 - Thom and I work as a team and are funded by the pay of delegate.verbaltech
 - btstools.digitalgaia is deprecated and people wanting to support me should support delegate.verbaltech.
 - when BTS2.0 is released, we will come up with a unified worker proposal

Great to see yourself and Thom working together on this.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline wackou

Here comes the current update on the development of the backbone:

I have set up a backbone of 3 nodes already, you can see the details here: http://digitalgaia.io/backbone.html, or can check http://backbone03.digitalgaia.io/backbone to see the current status of the 3rd backbone node and how it is connected to the other ones.

I was planning to set up more with Thom, but I hit kind of a roadblock when implementing the monitoring plugin that allows a delegate to connect only to the backbone, thereby hiding its IP (1). I have a workaround for it, however this requires a lot more setup on the nodes and is only valid until graphene comes out (network api will change and this might not even apply any longer).

So I decided to work on adapting the tools for graphene instead as it is now coming very soon (fingers crossed!) and started runnning a witness in the testnet to be able to do so.

I won't set up more backbone nodes for now, but will leave those already running anyway if people want to use them, or the chain servers on them, for instance.

----

(1) The issue is that the call to "network_set_allowed_peers" expects to be given the peer ids, which is not public info and needs to be obtained from "network_get_info" on the node itself. I could solve it by only exposing access to it (by using my bts_proxy project) but that would involve quite a bit of setup on the nodes for a workaround that won't likely be applicable for graphene, so that seemed quite a waste of time. If this functionality is also missing in graphene and core devs don't have the time or need to do it themselves I might also be able to implement it but let's wait until then.
Please vote for witness wackou! More info at http://digitalgaia.io

Offline wackou

Just to be clear about something. If we update to the new version, then the delegate using bts_tools automatically will start running through the backbone system that you have running now?

No, at the moment this is only meant for operators of the backbone (Thom and me for now) to allow to set up backbone nodes that behave properly. The next release (likely 0.2.11, I hope to get this in about 2 weeks, but don't take my word for it) will add the possibility for delegates to connect to the backbone automatically. This will be accompanied by a more prominent announcement so that delegates don't miss it. This post was just meant to be an update to the delegate proposal, now that we are voted in.

Do you believe with he two delegates providing 130% total now with the market cap that the funds will be enough to provide enough of a distribution network.. or will there be some kind of option for some delegates to become a part of this backbone where it makes geographic sense?

At the moment, I propose that Thom and I manage the backbone so that it's easier to coordinate. My initial plan was to have 2 nodes in the US, 2 nodes in Europe and 2 nodes in China/Asia. Once it's up and running for some time without glitches, we should open it up to anyone that wants to participate and contribute a node (similar to how people contribute seed nodes).

There is a question of trust involved, though, because the timing attack that allows a peer to detect the IP of delegates--that the backbone is designed to thwart--can still be performed by the operator of a backbone node. So we should make sure that these are trusted community members.

This is the long-term plan anyway, because if people contribute backbone nodes to the network then this doesn't need to be a recurring cost for the blockchain and everyone wins: blockchain doesn't pay for the backbone but everyone benefits from it, and backbone operators get fame and gratitude for the service they give to the network  ;D And if we can find financial incentives to run a backbone node that isn't supported directly by the blockchain, then that would be even better!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

AWESOME!!

I especially like these:

* added monitoring plugins:
  - 'voted_in': monitors when a delegate is voted in or out
  - 'wallet_state': monitors when a wallet is opened/closed and locked/unlocked
  - 'fork': tries to detect when the client is being on a fork and/or out-of-sync

Just to be clear about something. If we update to the new version, then the delegate using bts_tools automatically will start running through the backbone system that you have running now? Or is there a specific configuration that needs to be made in order to enable it? I didn't see anything regarding configurations on this so I just like to have that clarified.. thanks!

Do you believe with he two delegates providing 130% total now with the market cap that the funds will be enough to provide enough of a distribution network.. or will there be some kind of option for some delegates to become a part of this backbone where it makes geographic sense?

Another great delegate project hard at work for BitShares! Long time coming!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline wackou

An update on the development of the backbone: I just released the 0.2.10 version of the tools that now allow to manage backbone nodes (see http://digitalgaia.io/backbone.html for a description)

Thom and I have already started setting up VPS instances to run those and we will add some more soon and configure them to bring the backbone up.

Next, I will need to update the tools to manage delegates in order for them to only connect to the backbone nodes (hide behind them), and start connecting to other peers (seed nodes, known peers) only when the backbone nodes start to fail. In case of an attack on the backbone, we don't want to leave delegates with no connection at all to the network.

At this point, the backbone will be publically available, and delegates will be able to connect to it in order to protect their IP addresses, while ensuring that the blocks they sign are broadcasted quickly to the other delegates.

Here's the changelog for this release:

Code: [Select]
0.2.10 (2015-09-03)
-------------------

* added support for managing backbone nodes
* new view in menu "network > backbone status" that shows the configured backbone nodes and
  whether we are connected to them or not
* added monitoring plugins:
  - 'voted_in': monitors when a delegate is voted in or out
  - 'wallet_state': monitors when a wallet is opened/closed and locked/unlocked
  - 'fork': tries to detect when the client is being on a fork and/or out-of-sync
* simplified config yaml file: there are now wildcards monitoring plugins you can use for most
  common tasks:
  - for delegate:
    + 'delegate': used to monitor an active delegate. This will activate the 'missed',
      'network_connections', 'voted_in', 'wallet_state', 'fork', 'version' and 'feeds'
      monitoring plugins
    + 'watcher_delegate': used to monitor a watcher delegate, i.e. without publishing
      any info (version, feeds) to the blockchain. This will activate the 'missed',
      'network_connections', 'voted_in', 'wallet_state' and 'fork' monitoring plugins
  - for seed nodes and delegate nodes, you don't have to specify required command-line args or
    monitoring plugins any longer, it is added automatically in function of the node type
* added "bts deploy" command to copy built binary to specified ssh host(s)

Should we no longer vote or the delegate  btstools.digitalgaia and put all our support into the verbaltech delegate to continue supporting you?

At this point, I don't recommend to vote for btstools.digitalgaia anymore, as the pay from verbaltech is more than enough to pay for the servers. That shouldn't change anything, though, because I didn't expect my delegate to be voted in before the release of BitShares 2.0 anyway.

In the (unlikely) event it gets voted in, I think I would do a poll like Thom did to ask the community for their opinions, and burn it or redirect it to some other deserving delegates (I can think of a few that are still not voted in but have contributed a lot).

In summary:
 - btstools.digitalgaia is deprecated and people wanting to support me should support delegate.verbaltech.

Excellent.. thank you! +5%

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline wackou

In summary:

Offline Thom

+5% Welll said Nico. I have already switched the payroll to send you 70% every 2 weeks. Let me know if there is anything else you need. Meanwhile I will continue to help graphene testing where I can.

And yes, thank you everyone for your continued support!

Fantastic  +5%

Just like to get some clarification though on one point.

Thanks so much!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline wackou

An update on the situation:

I am now back from holidays, and ready to kick into gear for another year! :D

I have talked with Thom yesterday, and as previously mentioned here, we will now work together with the aim to enhance and improve the BitShares network security. Mostly what this means at the moment is that we will start implementing the backbone proposal as described here: http://digitalgaia.io/backbone.html  and set up various VPS instances spread all over the world, with the aim of getting global coverage, low-latency, strong connectivity and decentralization of the providers to ensure robustness. Thom has already started setting up some nodes, and I will follow suit soon.

The first few things I intend to work on are:
 - adapt the bts_tools to be able to manage backbone nodes
 - setup and configure an actual backbone for BitShares 0.9.x
 - adapt the bts_tools so that delegates managed by it connect exclusively to the backbone, if online (this is the part that provides DDoS protection to the delegates)
 - setup a webpage that show the real-time online status of the backbone nodes

I will be leading the development for the bts_tools, but Thom will help me when/where needed, and will be testing also. Eventually, we will be managing the backbone between the 2 of us, so given that we are in 2 different timezones, this means we can ensure close to 24/7 monitoring of the backbone nodes.

Another task will be to look into graphene, port the bts_tools to be able to work with graphene clients and have them ready for when the official BitShares 2.0 chain launches.

As for the delegate pay, we agreed that Thom will be sending me 70% of the pay from his delegate, and will thus keep 30%. I will use the funds to pay for VPS instances and time devoted, and leftovers (if any) will be kept to run seed nodes / backbones nodes for when graphene is launched.

All in all, this is a rehash of my previous proposal + Thom's previous posts, which shouldn't surprise lots of people. We plan to submit a new, revised joint proposal for when BitShares 2.0 launches, but at the moment we feel like we want to spend more time coding than campaigning for funds, especially given that bts2.0 is not that far away and lots of things are going to change to the delegate/worker structure when it is released. We also have some more ideas that we want to flesh out nicely in a new proposal rather than rush them now. I will post further updates in this thread now that delegate.verbaltech is the delegate funding development, but will still post relevant updates to the bts_tools in my original thread here: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,12534

Thank you everyone for the support!

Offline wackou

Hi all,

just a quick post to tell everyone that I think the partnership with Thom makes sense to me and we will write a more detailed proposal together. I am still travelling with little internet until next Monday so you won't hear a lot from me until then, but expect more next week when I am back and fully operational again.

Offline Thom

I like the idea .. +5% ..
keeping you both on my slate ..

+5%

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I like the idea .. +5% ..
keeping you both on my slate ..

Your announcement as I read it marks an end to needing btstools.digitalgaia.  Approval of  verbaltech delegate means a vote for the exact same project and in excess of the original budget.. so the other 30% delegate is no longer needed.

This to me was part of what made the whole thing make sense.. killing two birds with one stone so to speak.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Thom

You are indeed a "fountain of of great ideas" at times, this being a case in point. I found it ironic b/c of the opinions you expressed in that thread. Judging by the comments others have made to me and to you (I saw where you yourself posted elsewhere that you caught flack for them) those opinions weren't received well, contrasted with your support for the partnership.

Hey man, it's water under the bridge, no point in hashing out all over again. We all have different perspectives, and that's a good thing. People may disagree from time to time and even get emotional about it but that doesn't mean they're enemies or bad people.

On a positive note it looks like we both got a vote of approval yesterday, as 3 or 4 delegates jumped in their rankings as reported by bsb. delegate.verbaltech jumped 16 points!

Anyway, thanks again for the support. You are of course free to vote however you like, but I'm curious why you are withdrawing support for btstools.digitalgaia?

Why is it ironic that it was my idea?! I am a living fountain of great ideas! :)

Glad it's worked out this way, as in my estimate it was the best possible outcome for the delegate.

I will reinstate my support for this delegate, and remove my approval of btstools.digitalgaia.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Thom

This is an interim status report for delegate.verbaltech. If you review this thread you will see that on July 24th I announced that my former delegate partner, gentso, has abandoned his role as business delegate, leaving me to determine what course of action I should take regarding the disposition of this delegate.

I created a separate thread to poll the community and get input on how to redirect gentso's 85% portion of the delegate pay. I tried to provide a wide array of options, however the results did not achieve a clear cut consensus, and basically it boiled down to either burning the 85% or redirecting them to a mixture of recipients. You can judge the poll results in that thread for yourself.

Many contributed to that poll thread, and near the end of the discussion it was donkeypong that suggested it was more about finding a partner than where to redirect funds. Ironically, it was DataSecurityNode that suggested a partnership between myself and Nicholas Wack of btstools.digitalgaia. I have worked with wackou in the past on extending his most excellent bts_tools python code, by helping him to refine the documentation for it and authoring a payroll plugin to distribute delegate pay to multiple recipient addresses on a percentage basis. It is with this in mind that I propose a new mission for delegate.verbaltech, working with wackou to strengthen the delegate infrastructure and improving overall reliability and robustness of the decentralized, worldwide BitShares network.

I have contacted Nicholas and we are both very enthusiastic about a partnership
between delegate.verbaltech and btstools.digitalgaia

Nicholas (wackou in the forums) is currently traveling and has limited Internet availability, so this report is of my own making. When he returns from his travels it is my intention to solicit his input to create a formal proposal for our partnership, centered mostly around the goals he has expressed in his original proposal to continue the development of bts tools and extend the backbone architecture he has described in detail. He suggested a 50 / 50 split of delegate.verbaltech funds between us, however I believe that a 70 / 30 split is more appropriate, with 70% being redirected to btstools.digitalgaia and 30% retained by delegate.verbaltech. Essentially this will result in a reversal of the delegate pay percentages of our 2 delegates, since currently delegate.verbaltech is a 100% pay delegate and btstools.digitalgaia is a 30% delegate.

This proposed partnership will result in btstools.digitalgaia getting 100% and
delegate.verbaltech getting 30% to carry out our combined mission.

I will split my 30% portion between: 1) paying the fees for VPS systems to provide reliable, redundant operation of the delegate.verbaltech node as well as additional seed nodes and support for the backbone network architecture which wackou and I feel is required, 2) paying for separate VPS servers to help with the testing of witness nodes for BitShares 2.0 (graphene) and 3) the remainder as a labor fee to compensate for the time to perform this work and continue the effort of writing The BitShares Saga book series.

I have already begun to establish several new VPS accounts around the world (in the USA, Germany and Australia) for graphene testing, to run delegate.verbaltech and a backup VPS for failover of delegate.verbaltech. 2 of these are 4GB KVM VPS servers and one is a 2GB OpenVZ server for graphene testing. Other systems will be added as deemed necessary by wackou and I. Many of you may have noticed the reliability of delegate.verbaltech increasing this week as I deployed the node to a new VPS. When gentso shut down our Digital Ocean VPS the reliability has hovered just below 95%. Since going to the new VPS, now located in Australia, reliability is increasing and the number of missed blocks has not gone up (it is sitting at 300 missed blocks right now). I find it interesting that the node averages between 60 and 80 network connections in Australia vs. 30 - 50 in Europe.

Lastly I want to thank all who have supported delegate.verbaltech and btstools.digitalgaia in the past and encourage you to continue that support as we move forward with our combined mission to extend the BitShares network to the far corners of the globe. Be on the lookout for a new formal proposal from our collaborative voice. Our goal is to serve the needs of the BitShares community through a strong alliance of technical skills and decades of software development experience, as well as spreading the word about BitShares through the publication of The BitShares Saga. 

« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 05:35:16 am by Thom »

38PTSWarrior

With my Endeavor Chateaux I can bring in 2-3 users a day. Then more..

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
The way I see it is that we are investing in him and hoping his ROI is better than what we put in.  If he does well, then we can vote in his delegate and redirect verbal tech funds to a different cause.  If he fails, the we can cut funding much easier than voting out his delegate.  I don't see how this is any different than using funds to pay for a rap song or outside graphic designs.  Those people don't really have any connection to Bitshares.

If Martin succeeds in bringing more people into bts, then all shareholders benefit.  Getting elected as a delegate is more about campaigning than anything else.  We can see a lot of the 100% delegates were mostly talk and didn't deliver on their promises.  Martin may not be the best campaigner or politician, but I believe he works hard and would be more productive with even a small amount of steady funding.  Some people just need a chance to prove themselves.

Offline onceuponatime

In any case it should be made widely public (like announcing a new delegate) who/what the funds are directed at.

Previously when funds from one delegate have been redirected - they have been re-directed to a delegate that has been voted in, but because of the down market in BTS was not getting enough funds to accomplish the project.

Martin's delegate has not been voted in, and to redirect funds to him would be a travesty and bordering on theft. If the people who have called for this want Martin to get funds to try out his project, then they should send him their own money.

I have sent donations to Martin, more than once, despite the fact that I do not consider that handing out fliers and talking to people on the streets is a very effective way of marketing our project. I was hoping to help him build confidence and I admired his passion. But that was my own money that I sent to him, and therefore my own choice. Forcing others to fund him is not ethical.

I also voted for him, but not enough other people did so to get him into the 101. He therefore has no right to dilution funding which would be paid for by everyone despite his not having garnered enough votes.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
In any case it should be made widely public (like announcing a new delegate) who/what the funds are directed at.

38PTSWarrior

I'm beginning to see a pattern of community support for 38ptswarior. I'll be happy to redirect funds to where ever the community wants me to.

I was going to donate gentso's portion to fuzzy to distribute to his team as he sees fit. Perhaps a split is preferred: 38% to be given to 38ptswarior and the 47% given to the Beyond Bitcoin team?

BTW, how do you start a poll in SMF anyway? Do you need to have mod privileges?

The concept of a "delegate incubator" is interesting. What type of conditions / metrics / deliverables should we establish for the funds given to 38ptswarior? Our discussion yesterday leads me to believe this is an important consideration.

Fuzzy's team has a track record and it's much easier to see the results of their work. It is also a team of people, who are not being adequately compensated for what they produce.

Until delegate.verbaltech is voted out, I will be in charge of the funds it produces. I feel a sense of responsibility in disbursing these funds, and as such believe it's important to establish the criteria for measuring how well 38ptswarior is using the funds given to him by the community.

Also, if delegate.verbaltech is not voted out, it will be me managing the delegate node, nobody else. In that regard it's not a true test of how well a delegate "candidate" manages technical duties, only how well he manages the funds. This goes to illustrate the dualistic nature of our current DPoS 1.0 delegate system and why delegate teams are a good approach.

No matter what is discussed in this forum it can only be an approximation of shareholder consensus. The only formal consensus is shareholder voting. I will redirect gentso's 85% to where ever the community desires until delegate.verbaltech is voted out. How we arrive at that is what conditions are placed on that need to be discussed. I am open to all suggestions, especially regarding conditions / metrics.

BTW, delegate.verbaltech is online once again producing blocks and supplying 24 feeds, so I am still earning my pay, which I am very grateful for.
Hi, sorry that I lost my temper at the hangout and that I hijacked your talk CryptoPrometheus.
I have to learn group talks.

I am happy to read that you want to trust me with some funds. I want to take a roll here and show you that I can do it.

I am trusting liondani and puppies (delegate, wallet). A good team. I think liondani lets me play so I can get confidence, puppies is I think not publicly known (?) which got me thinking about if I should register the asset through his server. But I think love rules and.. screw it, just do it..
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:36:50 pm by 38PTSWarrior »

Offline Thom

I'm beginning to see a pattern of community support for 38ptswarior. I'll be happy to redirect funds to where ever the community wants me to.

I was going to donate gentso's portion to fuzzy to distribute to his team as he sees fit. Perhaps a split is preferred: 38% to be given to 38ptswarior and the 47% given to the Beyond Bitcoin team?

BTW, how do you start a poll in SMF anyway? Do you need to have mod privileges?

The concept of a "delegate incubator" is interesting. What type of conditions / metrics / deliverables should we establish for the funds given to 38ptswarior? Our discussion yesterday leads me to believe this is an important consideration.

Fuzzy's team has a track record and it's much easier to see the results of their work. It is also a team of people, who are not being adequately compensated for what they produce.

Until delegate.verbaltech is voted out, I will be in charge of the funds it produces. I feel a sense of responsibility in disbursing these funds, and as such believe it's important to establish the criteria for measuring how well 38ptswarior is using the funds given to him by the community.

Also, if delegate.verbaltech is not voted out, it will be me managing the delegate node, nobody else. In that regard it's not a true test of how well a delegate "candidate" manages technical duties, only how well he manages the funds. This goes to illustrate the dualistic nature of our current DPoS 1.0 delegate system and why delegate teams are a good approach.

No matter what is discussed in this forum it can only be an approximation of shareholder consensus. The only formal consensus is shareholder voting. I will redirect gentso's 85% to where ever the community desires until delegate.verbaltech is voted out. How we arrive at that is what conditions are placed on that need to be discussed. I am open to all suggestions, especially regarding conditions / metrics.

BTW, delegate.verbaltech is online once again producing blocks and supplying 24 feeds, so I am still earning my pay, which I am very grateful for.

I think the the way to go about this is for 38ptswarior to open a separate thread to campaign for his "delegate slot" and explain how he intends to show results, how he will be measured. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:24:23 pm by Thom »

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
Thank you Jonathon, that's very generous of you to offer.

I have all the info required to restore the delegate operation on a new VPS, but the question is, is that the correct course of action?

verbaltech was a 100% business development delegate. I was getting a 15% fee to support the technical work and gentso got 85%

I would certainly be willing to send the 85% somewhere else, if that is what the community wants to do. Although it wasn't much due to the low marketcap, I was very grateful to have that source of funds coming in. My computer services business is my only other source of income, and in a town of only 300 people it doesn't always bring in enough to pay the bills.

If the community is willing to support my role as a witness and have me redirect the delegate fees elsewhere I have the required account keys.

Gentso was planning on sending me a USB stick that I was going to put all of the delegate info on and send it back to him. He never followed through however. So I am the person with all the necessary info to restore delegate operation.

I am not clear DSN what exactly you were disagreeing with about lib_jay's post. As far as I'm concerned delegate.verbaltech is done, unless the community wants to keep me in place as a witness and have me direct the funds elsewhere. It should be up to the community.

Thom,  I would be in favor of verbaltech redirecting 38% of the fund to 38MartinPtswarrior.  It would be a trial run for his delegate, and if we don't like how he handles the funds then we can redirect elsewhere.  Verbaltech could potentially be an "incubator" for delegates to show what they are made of prior to getting voted in.

I second funding 38ptswarrior.

+5% me to

I would also support this ^^
"Power and law are not synonymous. In fact, they are often in opposition and irreconcilable."
- Cicero

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

I have all the info required to restore the delegate operation on a new VPS, but the question is, is that the correct course of action?

verbaltech was a 100% business development delegate. I was getting a 15% fee to support the technical work and gentso got 85%

I would certainly be willing to send the 85% somewhere else, if that is what the community wants to do. Although it wasn't much due to the low marketcap, I was very grateful to have that source of funds coming in. My computer services business is my only other source of income, and in a town of only 300 people it doesn't always bring in enough to pay the bills.

If the community is willing to support my role as a witness and have me redirect the delegate fees elsewhere I have the required account keys.

Gentso was planning on sending me a USB stick that I was going to put all of the delegate info on and send it back to him. He never followed through however. So I am the person with all the necessary info to restore delegate operation.

I am not clear DSN what exactly you were disagreeing with about lib_jay's post. As far as I'm concerned delegate.verbaltech is done, unless the community wants to keep me in place as a witness and have me direct the funds elsewhere. It should be up to the community.

Thom,  I would be in favor of verbaltech redirecting 38% of the fund to 38MartinPtswarrior.  It would be a trial run for his delegate, and if we don't like how he handles the funds then we can redirect elsewhere.  Verbaltech could potentially be an "incubator" for delegates to show what they are made of prior to getting voted in.

+5% me to
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Great example of the buddy system (two individuals doing one delegate) working as it should! Thanks Thom!

Tuck Fheman

Offline Thom

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 10:01:06 pm by Thom »

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
Thank you for bringing this up Thom, as it would have been very easy to just let slide.  Its probably more difficult for you to bring this up since you are so close to the project.  Good to see you have integrity.

That said, we should down vote this delegate right away.  @bytemaster, please withdraw your votes from this delegate.  I believe we have too many non performing 100% delegates and we need to move more 3% or less delegates in.

I disagree with you on this point.. every 100% delegate I am involved with is working every single day on something to do with advancing bitshares. There are also others who have not been voted in that are doing a lot... voters seems to have chosen not to support them yet.

I'm not saying every 100% delegate is underperforming.... but I think everyone would agree that some are major under performers.  I do believe bunker mining or c-lains would be a good choice to replace verbaltech if I had to choose another 100% delegate.

Tuck Fheman

I disagree with you on this point.. every 100% delegate I am involved with is working every single day on something to do with advancing bitshares. There are also others who have not been voted in that are doing a lot... voters seems to have chosen not to support them yet.

+5%

Thank you for bringing this up Thom, as it would have been very easy to just let slide.  Its probably more difficult for you to bring this up since you are so close to the project.  Good to see you have integrity.

That said, we should down vote this delegate right away.  @bytemaster, please withdraw your votes from this delegate.  I believe we have too many non performing 100% delegates and we need to move more 3% or less delegates in.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Thanks Lil_jay.  I think a call for a down vote is appropriate. Although I haven't' heard from gentso, and thus don't know why he has taken this course of action, I do believe this was his choice.

If you have your WIF key for the delegate then please contact me and we will get your delegate up and running at the bunker.

I don't care about whatever politics or issues are going on ATM I am more concerned with the network status.

I am available through the evening to get the delegate server back online if you still got the key to do it.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Thom

Thanks Lil_jay.  I think a call for a down vote is appropriate. Although I haven't' heard from gentso, and thus don't know why he has taken this course of action, I do believe this was his choice.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
spoke to him a few weeks ago he was looking fwd to 2.0 release
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline topcandle

You mean yet another project that was talked up big time that couldn't even stand upright out of the gates?  Another one bites the dust.  How many more before the red curtains close?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:43:48 pm by topcandle »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Thom

This post is to inform the community about sudden changes to the status of delegate.verbaltech, which is now offline.

The first hint of any problem came from DataSecurityNode via skype who reported the delegate was offline. It looks like it went offline during the mumble hangout.

I was unable to login to the VPS. I reviewed the email for the VPS account and it looks like Gentso changed it and the VPS password. This was all his doing, and I am shocked and taken aback by his lack of communication. I spoke with gentso on Monday on skype, who stepped away to answer a phone call. He returned only by text msg that he had to go and would talk to me later. I haven't spoke to him since.

Stan PM'd me to ask how to reach gentso. I explained that there seems to be an issue with the forum, b/c you can no longer PM gentso1 by typing in that username, but you can PM him if you find one of his previous posts. Stan said he PM'd gentso but did not hear back.

That's all I know at this point. I have no idea what gentso is up to. It looks like he is stepping away from BitShares. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt regarding his motivations for his actions but it doesn't look good from my perspective. I can see no valid reason for cutting communications off cold like he has. If he wished to disengage & shut down the delegate he is of course free to decide to do that. Why he chose not to inform me of his intent to do that is a complete mystery.

Bottom line is delegate.verbaltech is his delegate and he is free to do with it as he wishes. I just expected he would have had the integrity to keep his partner and the community better informed.

Very disappointing.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 06:58:40 pm by Thom »

Offline fuzzy

woooot woooot - congratz - after a long time ... here you're! Well deserved dude!  +5%

Thank you for your support.

The timing couldn't have been better either :)

Congrats guys.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
woooot woooot - congratz - after a long time ... here you're! Well deserved dude!  +5%

Thank you for your support.

The timing couldn't have been better either :)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

gentso-biz-dev.poweredby-thom ?

hehe

When you say it like that delegate.verbaltech just rolls off the tongue.
haha true. what bitshares needs is a name plus a little subtitle discription for delegates!!

I think this is a great idea.

Their has been a point of suggesting the delegates work in a pairs  or as members of a team. It would be nice if, at the very least we could link our accounts to a delegate in order to show team members. Even better would be if their was a little about me button where a delegate could do a quick 2 line write up on what they hope to do for the community.

That makes sense.. and pretty sure there is a plugin to accomplish that.

Just voted. Current position is 126!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile

hehe

haha true. what bitshares needs is a name plus a little subtitle discription for delegates!!

I think this is a great idea.

Their has been a point of suggesting the delegates work in a pairs  or as members of a team. It would be nice if, at the very least we could link our accounts to a delegate in order to show team members. Even better would be if their was a little about me button where a delegate could do a quick 2 line write up on what they hope to do for the community.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

hehe

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 09:42:05 am by delulo »

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile

hehe

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
Just a thought, I think that since your delegate is not named 'Gentso', this has a bigger effect on vote turnout than you might think. I for one, saw 'verbaltech' in the delegates list and didn't have any idea who it was.
Absolutely!! All delegates should be recognizable with their forum/real world or whatever identity they are backing the delegate up with by just looking at the delegate name.

I understand you point but I wanted to recognize my tech partner Thom. Perhaps this points to a difference between us and other delegates, we are in fact a team. I of course am the verbal end of the team, with Thom being the

technical side. If I was to suggest that Thom runs our delegate and that was his only role I would be under representing his value to me.  He has answered so many questions on the fly for me, that I just can not state the importance

of his role enough.

I do agree that it we lose some name recognition but I am hopeful that the result's produced warrant people finding out who we are and what we are doing.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Just a thought, I think that since your delegate is not named 'Gentso', this has a bigger effect on vote turnout than you might think. I for one, saw 'verbaltech' in the delegates list and didn't have any idea who it was.
Absolutely!! All delegates should be recognizable with their forum/real world or whatever identity they are backing the delegate up with by just looking at the delegate name.

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
VOTE for verbaltech!

Yes you.

:)

Thanks Matt we appreciate your support.

Offline matt608

• View Profile
VOTE for verbaltech!

Yes you.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
Thank you everyone for you help on getting here.

I have been working out the last few details and I am hopeful that I can officially announce another project I have been working on by Friday.

Stay tuned  this one is gold, solid gold.

Offline fuzzy

Looking forward to when that delegate is in place!

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
You'll soon have my vote! :)

Link for the lazy: delegate.verbaltech

More than just promoting the protocol, a hardware solution may be the best answer to their need to secure stake and promote voting.

Could you elaborate on this? I believe secure/specialized hardware (physical wallet?) may be crucial for long-term adoption. Interested to hear more!

Do you think that you will be contacting bullion dealers who already accept bitcoin (through BitPay)? ie,  amagimetals.com  and  silvergoldbull.com   both of whom are already doing that and from whom I have bought silver coins for bitcoin. 

If you consider it to be a high priority that they be contacted about accepting bitSILVER, bitGOLD and bitUSD, then you get my immediate vote.

All ready done  :) and we are of the same mindset here.

Bobby Belandis
Managing Partner
silvergoldbull.com
(877)646-5303 ext.110

On it, nice find and thank you

Offline onceuponatime

More than just promoting the protocol, a hardware solution may be the best answer to their need to secure stake and promote voting.

Could you elaborate on this? I believe secure/specialized hardware (physical wallet?) may be crucial for long-term adoption. Interested to hear more!

Do you think that you will be contacting bullion dealers who already accept bitcoin (through BitPay)? ie,  amagimetals.com  and  silvergoldbull.com   both of whom are already doing that and from whom I have bought silver coins for bitcoin. 

If you consider it to be a high priority that they be contacted about accepting bitSILVER, bitGOLD and bitUSD, then you get my immediate vote.

Bobby Belandis
Managing Partner
silvergoldbull.com
(877)646-5303 ext.110

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
We need the Business development teams in the ecosystem.

I will vote.

Thank you, Expect a progress update soon.

Offline Overthetop

We need the Business development teams in the ecosystem.

I will vote.

个人微博账号: Overthetop_万里晴空
“块链创新与创业”交流群: 330378613

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile

The machine owners pay a third party company a monthly fee.  http://cointelegraph.com/news/112785/lamassu-integrates-identityminds-aml-and-compliance-platform-in-its-bitcoin-atms

Glad I asked.. I didn't even know there were solutions like this out there. It's just what I was looking for regarding AML/KYC.

Thanks!! +5%
Glad I could help.

The machine owners pay a third party company a monthly fee.  http://cointelegraph.com/news/112785/lamassu-integrates-identityminds-aml-and-compliance-platform-in-its-bitcoin-atms

Glad I asked.. I didn't even know there were solutions like this out there. It's just what I was looking for regarding AML/KYC.

Thanks!! +5%
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
great work keep it up... you have my vote

I forwarded the Lamassu stuff over to you.

This is exciting stuff because their machines are AML/KYC complaint.  Once the code is written, each machine would act as a fiat on and off ramp.

How exactly are they AML/KYC compliant?

This is exciting stuff because their machines are AML/KYC complaint.  Once the code is written, each machine would act as a fiat on and off ramp.

How exactly are they AML/KYC compliant?
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop

Yes. Please do Lamassu project ASAP.
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline h99t1

• View Profile

Offline robrigo

You've got my vote!

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
As I outlined in my delegate hangout on mumble (thanks fuzzy)http://bitsharesblocks.com/delegates/delegate?name=fuzzy.beyondbitcoin

It's important that all users no matter the stake size participate in the voting process. Consider large stake holders that can not spend large amounts of time going through the forums delegate bids let alone keeping up with the many system updates that are

happening every week.  A act that is as simple as posting to show support to raise awareness community wide  can highlight topics and thus gain their attention.

So its not the size of your holdings but more the showing of your support that counts.

Offline fuzzy

Good deal guys.  Looking forward to seeing you move forward with this.

Offline bytemaster

I will say congratulations right now... 

+5 +5 +5

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D

Actually, I am unable to unilaterally get anyone in. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I will say congratulations right now... 

+5 +5 +5

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D

Offline bytemaster

I support this delegate and will vote when I can.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
Current rank of 252 :D

Personal thank you to everyone who has voted to show support.With each vote we show that DPOS works.

delegate.verbaltech

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
+10%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline svk

Awesome, I was just thinking the other day we need a Business Dev delegate :)

+5%
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Putting you in my slate ..

Offline matt608

• View Profile
 +5%   +5%  +5%  +5%  +5%  +5%  +5%  +5%  +5%   +5%  +5%  +5%  +5%  +5%  +5%  +5%  +5%  +5%
(100%)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:44:19 pm by matt608 »

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile

After seeing a article on I believe CoinDesk, I read about a a device called a Hyperkeyhttps://www.hyprkey.com/ and reached out to them. Because Dpos rely's so much on voter's voting, and me not being overly tech savvy I believe securing your stake encourages voting. Large stake holders must have both, faith in the platform but also feel like they can access their shares to vote in a secure fashion. Devices like this bring users 1 step closer to a non technical solution that will make mass adoption easier to obtain.

Offline onceuponatime

Offline roadscape

http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline Thom

We appreciate your vote of confidence and together we're going to do great things for the BitShares ecosystem.

Thanks!

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
You have my vote! Business development is the largest remaining void in our ecosystem. With our decentralized model, we need to empower delegates for this type of outreach. Gentso brings a skill set that few people around here have and I'm happy that you're partnering with Thom. These are two good guys.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
Over the past month and a half I have been working with the BitShares marketing team. My goal has been to convert cold call emails into meetings so I may present solutions to their business needs. They can be merchants looking for a better payment system, exchanges asking about what makes BitShares, and our bit assets, different, and emerging technology companies. More than just promoting the protocol, a hardware solution may be the best answer to their need to secure stake and promote voting. I scour the forums here and on Nullstreet on a near daily basis to gather new insight on how to approach the many different target markets. I have personally reached out to 30+ companies and have been able to convert four to meetings. Of those four, three have lead to integration or a partnership in some way. Another five resulted in potential leads.

过去的一个半月时间里我与比特股市场团队一起工作。我的目标是将冷冰冰的email请求转换为会议,这样我可以为他们的商业需要提供解决方案。这些商业可以是那些寻找更好的支付系统的商家,交易所寻找比特股和比特资产与众不同的答案,以及新兴的科技公司。不只是推销这个协议,一个硬件的解决方案或许是更好的答案去满足他们保证权益和推广投票,我每天都在这个论坛和nullstreet论坛里面寻找去接近不同目标市场的新观点。我个人已经向30多个公司伸出橄榄枝,已经成功使四个公司与我们进行了会议。这四个公司,其中三个已经达成了整合或成为某种意义上的合作伙伴。剩下的五个或许会有希望。

I would like to continue doing the above as a paid delegate. This would allow me to increase the amount of time I am already devoting to the business development front.  Helping to forge important partnerships is very time consuming, yet also required to ensure the success of the BitShares platform. I am therefore campaigning for a 100% paid delegate position. Such a position enables me to increase my availability for meetings that I setup or to act as a backup or a lead for those who may be uncomfortable or unavailable to speak to potential partners.
我会想作为一个付费的受托人继续做上述这些事情。这会让我增加时间去做那些我已经在商业发展领域做的事情。帮助促成合作关系是非常耗费时间的,但也是比特股平台成功必须的。我因此申请一个100%受托人的职位。这个职位会让我有更多的时间去参加我设立的会议,或者是为其他一些不善展开商业会谈的人当副手。

As a delegate, I promise not to “share price watch” - using the excuse that because share price is down, it only buys half the time that it used to. The importance of having someone experienced in sales and business development on hand and accountable to help present the message to a potential partner cannot be overstated. Many potential partners do not have the time to read a white paper or check the forums.

作为一个受托人,我承诺不关注股价。我不会用那些“因为股价下降了,所以只能支付我过去一半的时间了”。有一个在销售和商业发展领域都有经验的人去帮助提供信息给潜在的合作伙伴,这个重要性怎么说都不过分。很多潜在的合作伙伴并没有时间去读白皮书或者检查论坛。

It is because of everything stated in this platform that I ask for your support. Please vote for delegate.verbaltech.  Thank you!
所以我请求你的支持。请给delegate.verbaltech  投票,谢谢。
---

You know me here on the forums as Thom https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=21490, and I'll be handling the technical side of gentso's delegate. My business plan is to support gentso in his efforts to sell the advantages of the BitShares platform to as many organizations as possible, so we all benefit.
我是论坛上的Thom,我会负责技术方面的支持,我的商业计划是协助Gentso去让更多的机构接受比特股,让我们都受益。

I've known gentso from my earliest posts here on the forum, and recently he reached out to ask my help with the technical issues of running a delegate node. I have over 3 decades of software development experience in a wide variety of fields, and am very comfortable with most operating systems, be they Mac, Windows or *nix (linux/unix). My focus will be on the reliability of the delegate node, which involves decisions about which VPS to use, where in the world it's located, a backup VPS, and monitoring so that in the event of a failure for whatever reason the backup can be activated to keep block production optimal.

我在论坛早期的帖子中了解到Gentso,最近他让我帮他运行受托人节点的技术方面的事。我有30年的多个领域的软件开发经验,熟悉大多数操作系统,MAC\WINDOWS\UNIX等。我的关注会在受托人节点的可靠性上。这包括如何选择VPS,放在哪里,备份VPS,监视失效情况等,并及时用备份激活。

Although I've been a software developer in the past, I do not intend on getting back into the thick of software development or providing tools such as svk's most excellent BitSharesBlocks.  However, if I need to adjust some scripts or build a custom linux kernel to optimize reliable and trustworthy block production, I can and will do so. I quite expect though, that such tweaking will not be required or will be relatively minor, but I will do whatever it takes to run a dependable node, including providing timely price feeds.
我过去也是个程序员,我不会像聚合网作者那样开发软件了,不过如果让我修改一些脚本或者定制Linux内核去优化区块生成的可靠性的话,我照样能做。反正我会尽量让这个节点运行的可靠,而且及时发布喂价。

You may have heard that I'm writing a book, The Coming BitShares Revolution. I will soon be posting details in the forum about my plan to promote the book. I mention this as a way of introducing my technical skills and personal perspective -  which I write about in the Preface to the book. Until I'm ready to post those details, you may read the preview at this URL: http://www.thecomingbitsharesrevolution.website/media/tcbrPreview1.pdf
你们可能也听说我在写一本书,“正在到来的比特股变革”,我会很快将详细情况以及我对这本书的推广计划放在论坛上。我提到这个主要是介绍我的技术能力和个人观点,我在这本书的前言里就提到过。直到我可以发表这些细节之前,你可能想在这个链接里看看预览。

I strongly believe gentso and I will make a great team and so I encourage you to vote for delegate.verbaltech to support gentso's sales efforts but also to support a well managed delegate node by a dedicated and competent software professional.
我很强烈地相信Gentso和我会成为一个很好的团队,所以我鼓励你给 delegate.verbaltech  投票去支持Gentso的销售努力,也是支持由专注和有能力的软件开发者去维护的一个受托人节点。

Big thank you to btswildpig and the team at BTServiceGroup show them support market.cn.group101
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:24:43 pm by Gentso1 »