Author Topic: Bter hacked. PTS, bitassets withdrawal successful. Share you experience.  (Read 123304 times)

Offline Catchfire

• View Profile
Just checked balance on Bter.  $00 was the balance. Last week I had $62.00.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
We decided to work with our partners to rebuild the backend platform, completely resolve the wallet issue, reactivate bter operation.
Translation: BTER was sold, and of course next owner wants to keep the exchange running. That someone would pick such a low handing fruit was a no brainer: you'd really have to be short-sighted not to see the tremendous value in BTER :).

It is beyond amusing that you think that a DAC should take up the remains of a insecure centralized exchange.  I don't even begin to understand how you think that would work.  All those different coins and addresses, someone has to make sure it is straightened up going forward.  Who would fund and manage this?  I guess the bitshares devs would drop working on bitshares to finish cleaning up the bter mess??   Yea, so much value... value if you want to steal the coins.
When  you buy a company you get the staff with it. If the company is profitable like BTER is it pays for its own staff. I already explained the details higher in the thread so I am not going to waste time beating a dead horse. Just wait and see BTER resume operation as a SuperNET gateway and you'll understand what I meant earlier.

Bter as a SuperNET gateway wouldn't surprise me. James is incredible smart and knows how to establish his business.

Offline klosure

• View Profile
We decided to work with our partners to rebuild the backend platform, completely resolve the wallet issue, reactivate bter operation.
Translation: BTER was sold, and of course next owner wants to keep the exchange running. That someone would pick such a low handing fruit was a no brainer: you'd really have to be short-sighted not to see the tremendous value in BTER :).

It is beyond amusing that you think that a DAC should take up the remains of a insecure centralized exchange.  I don't even begin to understand how you think that would work.  All those different coins and addresses, someone has to make sure it is straightened up going forward.  Who would fund and manage this?  I guess the bitshares devs would drop working on bitshares to finish cleaning up the bter mess??   Yea, so much value... value if you want to steal the coins.
When  you buy a company you get the staff with it. If the company is profitable like BTER is it pays for its own staff. I already explained the details higher in the thread so I am not going to waste time beating a dead horse. Just wait and see BTER resume operation as a SuperNET gateway and you'll understand what I meant earlier.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline klosure

• View Profile
Under its new management, BTER will certainly make a nice fit in SuperNET ecosystem.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:52:30 am by klosure »

Offline klosure

• View Profile

Offline jnporter099

• View Profile
Not good news...they may be trying to come up with a plan to go out legally without refunding any altcoins. They know they are doomed if they allow every user to withdraw all funds on Bter. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for them to release the altcoins. By the way, how do you withdraw the snapshot stuff?

OK, I read about PLAY....now is there a wallet mechanism to withdraw my PLAY shares from Bter if or when this becomes possible? I have a functioning BTS wallet. Will that wallet allow for PLAY? Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:17:15 am by jnporter099 »

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Good news?  They likely processed this stuff manually.  The fact they are changing plans means that maybe they realized people were just happy to remove all their coins when given a chance.  (I've been waiting.)  They're going to rebuild it now?  Huh?  Well let people continue to remove their coins and then when you have a rewrite done open back up.

This is just an excuse to not pay people and is NEVER good news except that snapshots now have a >0% chance of being delivered.

Yeah it's a stale.. we've gone from cold wallet theft to complete rebuild of a system baring most but not all coin accounts...

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Rune

• View Profile

Good news?  They likely processed this stuff manually.  The fact they are changing plans means that maybe they realized people were just happy to remove all their coins when given a chance.  (I've been waiting.)  They're going to rebuild it now?  Huh?  Well let people continue to remove their coins and then when you have a rewrite done open back up.

This is just an excuse to not pay people and is NEVER good news except that snapshots now have a >0% chance of being delivered.

Yep. This is a stalling tactic and not good.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline joele

• View Profile

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

I agree. That is a good outcome if it works out in a timely manner. Especially good news for people with snapshots on bter. That would have been a total mess if they stopped operation.

Yes, this probably raises the chance that we will eventually get our snapshots.  And peoples vested BTS from DNS/PTS that was on there. 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Frodo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: frodo
I am talking this positively. The were having issues with the wallet security and that is probably why could not release the altcoins. Now bter wants to be back in operation. This is tremendous good news.

I agree. That is a good outcome if it works out in a timely manner. Especially good news for people with snapshots on bter. That would have been a total mess if they stopped operation.

Offline Pheonike

If they use bitBTC they can earn yield and repay a little faster. It would nice if they would become a bitUSD gateway.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
This shouldve been the first thing they announced.  Like Bitstamp did.

It also provides hope of partial recovery to those who lost their BTC.  If they resume operations and survive, they can gradually repay customer losses over time with their trading profits. 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads