Author Topic: Important Criticism  (Read 48013 times)

Offline MartinZ

• View Profile
from what I've seen so far here, ubit rocks my boat  the most :)

ibit sounds like an Apple product, and inabit like something that has a lot of lag, so "your transaction will be confirmed in-a-bit"

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

We will use a name other than Identabit for the currency, ibit works and inabit was suggested.

I think 'ubit' works best.  Kindof like youtube.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Thanks everyone there is a lot going on and giving the attention to the detail deserved is always a challenge.

Jakub thank you for pulling my head out of my ass and PD3 thank you for your constructive approach, to everyone else a big thank you. Your effort helped me listen.

Sharedropping is a two-way street. Your good will towards this community entitles you to free market-testing on the forum!

Offline MJK

• View Profile

Brilliant suggestion, jakub. Absolutely brilliant.
"ubit", imo, is a perfect name for a consumer-oriented currency intended to challenge Bitcoin head-on.
"ubit" is short, simple, memorable, and replete with meaning.

THIS ^^^^^  +5% +5% +5% +5% +5%

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Hi All

My mistake, I haven't referenced the name for the currency other that the IDB shortcode we use and I should have, my apologies.

We will use a name other than Identabit for the currency, ibit works and inabit was suggested.

We have killed the D and we own numerous URL's including identabit.org/info, identibit.com/org/info, identabits.com so misspelling isn't an issue.

Identity will remain part of the name as we need to bring attention to our purpose.

Thanks everyone there is a lot going on and giving the attention to the detail deserved is always a challenge.

I would like to concentrate on money, software and partnerships once the naming of the currency is behind us.

Jakub thank you for pulling my head out of my ass and PD3 thank you for your constructive approach, to everyone else a big thank you. Your effort helped me listen.
+5%
Yea, bl00dy marvellous. Good constructive stuff  +5%. Now let's try to help underwun with everything else....

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Hi All

My mistake, I haven't referenced the name for the currency other that the IDB shortcode we use and I should have, my apologies.

We have killed the D and we own numerous URL's including identabit.org/info, identibit.com/org/info, identabits.com so misspelling isn't an issue.

Identity will remain part of the name as we need to bring attention to our purpose.

I would like to concentrate on money, software and partnerships once the naming of the currency is behind us.

+5%

Offline underwun

• Life Matters
    • View Profile
Hi All

There's a reason for everything and if there isn't there should be...

Offline pendragon3

Main takeaways:
  • It'd be very, very surprising if "Identabit" or "Identibit" could gain any traction at all as a name for currency units.

• For the blockchain or a platform, "Identibit" with an "i" might be viable. "Identabit" with an "a" is much less "intellagent" and much weaker. It doesn't meet the bar, imo, for a blockchain/platform name.

• For currency units, "ubit" or "ibit" would be fun, easy to use, and easy to popularize among consumers. "IDB" might have a use in connection with currency units, but it's insipid, unmemorable, and not the type of name that young and old alike would really enjoy using.

• It's not necessary to have a .com, .net, .org domain name for the currency. A domain name matching the name of the underlying blockchain/platform would be enough.

jakub

Bitcoiners may continue to rave about anonymity, but pigs will fly before we see institution's risk exposure to counterparty anonymity.

The same pigs will fly before we hear "you owe me 6 indentabits, mate" somewhere in the street.
No matter if it's identabit or identibit. This is just not gonna happen.

Even if you spend millions to promote it as identabit people will just reduce it to something much shorter.
You might as well go with the flow and give them the short version now.

In the brief you wrote that the aim was to have an "easy to remember retail name". So either the brief is wrong or the name is wrong.
I bet you a hundred identabits that if you took 100 random people and asked them which name - identabit or ubit - sounds more like an easy to remember currency unit, then identabit would not be the winner here.

Identabit conveys the right message and it's an acceptable name for a company but is just useless as a name to be used in shops & bars. You are introducing a new currency here, thus asking people to use it in everyday situations. The name does matter here as it's an integral part of the utility being offered. In this case one uses the product by pronouncing its name, so if the name is difficult to remember and pronounce then the product is difficult to use. It's not a car or a computer where the name is just part of the product's image, here the name is part of the product itself. It has to be easy.

If you take a look at the list of world currencies, most of them are one or two syllables, just a few are three but not a single one is more than that. People all over the world have been choosing short and simple names for their currencies. So there must be a very fundamental and universal reason for that. You plan on denying this reason by introducing the first ever four syllable currency name.

I know you've invested a lot of thinking in your naming strategy. And that's probably the reason you cannot let go of it.
I rest my case and wish you luck. And I truly hope I am wrong on this one and identabit eventually succeeds.
Maybe it is such a good concept that it will succeed despite this terrible name.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:30:12 am by jakub »

Offline pendragon3

"Remitabit" is actually a clever and catchy name because it can be seen as a play on "Remit a bit", suggesting cost-effective remittance of small amounts. So, it's understandable why John might place high value on this particular name for a project to be developed in the future.

The important point, though, is that the "a" in "Identabit" doesn't serve the same function. In other words, it doesn't buy you much at all if used instead of "i" in "Identibit". In fact, the "a" seems to be a significant liability in "Identabit". I think just about everyone on this thread wants this project to be a smashing success, but a common concern voiced by many is that "Identabit" is a weak name that could needlessly undermine the brand image and hinder widespread adoption by consumers.

In my opinion, "Identibit" (1) looks slicker, more impressive, more intelligent (notice the 2nd "i" in "intelligent"), and more professional; (2) more powerfully evokes the concept of identity; (3) helps avoid distracting associations with dentures and mouthguards; and (4) and rhymes equally well with "Remitabit" when spoken aloud.

Here's to hoping that John comes around and realizes the drawbacks and weaknesses in "Identabit"...

Offline EstefanTT

I agree: the "a" in "Identabit" is part of the problem. "Identibit" is a MUCH better name, imo--much clearer, respectable, apropos, and less likely to make people think there was sloppy spelling.

John, out of curiosity, what would be the rationale for going with "Identabit" rather than "Identibit"? Is it because the "a" makes the name slightly closer to "Remitabit"? In my opinion, "Identibit" sounds quite close to "Remitabit" already, and it would fit in well to the naming scheme. Also, the .com, .net, .org are all available...

That's IMHO much better and you keep the name very close to what it is now !   +5% +5%
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2
If Remitabit is the reason for the a in Identabit, then it all seems to be more about the "abit" then it is about the "bit".  That muddles things.  But if it's more about the "bit", then you don't need to worry about the a in Remitabit.  It might also help to capitalize the b to emphasize the "Bit".   You could do the same with "bank" and "pay". 

The scheme below has good continuity.  Although aren't Remitabit and IdentiPay kind of redundant?  Is Remitabit even necessary?

RemitaBit (or just nix this one)
IdentiBit
IdentiPay
IdentiBank

I agree: the "a" in "Identabit" is part of the problem. "Identibit" is a MUCH better name, imo--much clearer, respectable, apropos, and less likely to make people think there was sloppy spelling.

John, out of curiosity, what would be the rationale for going with "Identabit" rather than "Identibit"? Is it because the "a" makes the name slightly closer to "Remitabit"? In my opinion, "Identibit" sounds quite close to "Remitabit" already, and it would fit in well to the naming scheme. Also, the .com, .net, .org are all available...

Offline pendragon3

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2
Quick parting thought.  The capital D is definitely a problem, but much less of a problem than the a.  The a is what really makes it look so much like "dental", especially since the stem of the "b" looks like the "l" in "dental".  If you replace the a with an i, then it actually looks like a root of the word "identity" instead of something dental related.  Good luck.

jakub

You guys are overthinking it. This isn't a consumer-facing product. It will succeed or fail based on business relations and partnerships, not branding.
I think you're right. Reading Underwun's posts closely, you will see that IDB is a layer. Upon that layer will be built other businesses, such as the remittance service he initially told us about (I'm very excited for that one). So if IDB is more of a back-end product, then a consumer-focused brand name is not as important.

I agree IDB is an appropriate name for a back-end product. But the branding brief clearly states that:
IDentabit is a retail name, like Starbucks, McDonalds and others, it is not intended to appeal to three piece suits or engineers. The name is focused on consumers young and old. A name consumers will remember.
So this is a consumer-facing product. It intends to compete with Bitcoin for mass adoption.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 04:39:44 pm by jakub »