Author Topic: Important Criticism  (Read 48005 times)

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
You could maybe name it GRIC (Global Reserve Identity Coin)

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
It's quite telling that a discussion thread dedicated to criticism ended up to be purely about the name.
And that's because that's the case really - everything is solid and flawless except the name.

I think to myself: what a shame such a great idea is going to be wasted for such trivial reason.
So please John don't kill your brilliant child with an ill-chosen name. It will come and haunt you when you try to promote it. People are mostly irrational and the name will distract them from the concept itself.

What I already proposed in the other thread is this: IDENTICON. It's not perfect but the best I can come up with if we need to have the word "identity" embedded in it.

Or it can even be Pied Piper  ;)

I agree with everything you wrote except the last part. In particular, you've summed up the criticisms nicely. But IDENTICON? You're asking us to trust you with your CON? There'a lot of subliminal negativity that comes with an ending like "con". If ID is the thing, then I'd rather use another suffix. Identidonkey, identizon, identifree, identimelon, identitties, identicake, identures, identiwax, identidoodle, identibrownies. Okay, so some of those are worse, but not all!

Offline mint chocolate chip

EyeDeed for the win, because seeing legal property transfer is what it is all about.

jakub

It's quite telling that a discussion thread dedicated to criticism ended up to be purely about the name.
And that's because that's the case really - everything is solid and flawless except the name.

I think to myself: what a shame such a great idea is going to be wasted for such trivial reason.
So please John don't kill your brilliant child with an ill-chosen name. It will come and haunt you when you try to promote it. People are mostly irrational and the name will distract them from the concept itself.

What I already proposed in the other thread is this: IDENTICON. It's not perfect but the best I can come up with if we need to have the word "identity" embedded in it.

Or it can even be Pied Piper  ;)

Offline valzav

• View Profile
My sense is that there's not a great likelihood IDentabit will work well as a name for this purpose.  So here are my entries for an alternative.

Solara (so-lah-ra)
currency: solar (so-lahr) or sol

Spectrum or Spectra
currency: spectra or spec

Radius
currency: rad

One more variation: Solaris (SOL for currency), I think Sun Microsystems doesn't need it anymore.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
My sense is that there's not a great likelihood IDentabit will work well as a name for this purpose.  So here are my entries for an alternative.

Solara (so-lah-ra)

Spectrum or Spectra

Radius

+5% You're good at this!

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2

Solara (so-lah-ra)

Spectrum or Spectra

Radius

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

BitSoul - For all eternity.

Now I know what you are all going to think.. but really it should be IDBunker for the win. :D

This is fun... we should have more threads telling others how they should name their businesses. :)
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Pheonike

Here we go..

KnowMe
BeReal
MyFace
Reveal
ItsME

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I agree about the need to change the name...
what about...

unique

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:25:26 pm by liondani »

Offline EstefanTT

I like this project and think it has potential. The one thing that seems unprofessional to me is the name itself. I would suggest using a naming service like http://www.namebase.com (there are many others). I would also recommend staying away from any and all cliches like "bit" for example. I would opt for a name that has nothing to do with cryptocurrency. Example: Ethereum, Ripple, Stellar, Graphene. These are all great names.

I'm not a big fan of the name either. Mainly because you will have a hard time to seem serious with French speakers.

I don't know how to make this comment and don't sound like a retarded teenager but ...

iIdentabit pronounce itself the same way as " i dans ta bite " which you can translate  from french by " i in your dick "

The equivalent thing would be like naming a french company something like "inyordik"

Any other french speakers over here who find the name no very suited for french pronunciation ?

Hahaha :)

But that's where they install the microchips! :P

Perhaps a naming schema in Esperanto would land a safe wording worldwide? :)

I already started on this naming thing in the last thread.. Something to do with badge I think would work great on a lot of levels. It fits in with something people understand.. it has poential for people to really build a personalized something out of it.. and saying 'what is your badgeID' or whatever it ends up being is universally understood.

Again.. my 2 brownie.pts.
I seriously like the Esperanto idea! Check this http://www.esperanto-panorama.net/vortaro/eoen.htm
Mono means money. Suggestions:
MonoID
IDMono
IdentMono
MonoIdent

IDMono even sounds like "the money".

Any problems with that Estaffan?  :D

Seem all right to me  :P

Edit : what about IdenTT ?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:48:50 pm by EstefanTT »
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline EstefanTT

I like this project and think it has potential. The one thing that seems unprofessional to me is the name itself. I would suggest using a naming service like http://www.namebase.com (there are many others). I would also recommend staying away from any and all cliches like "bit" for example. I would opt for a name that has nothing to do with cryptocurrency. Example: Ethereum, Ripple, Stellar, Graphene. These are all great names.

I'm not a big fan of the name either. Mainly because you will have a hard time to seem serious with French speakers.

I don't know how to make this comment and don't sound like a retarded teenager but ...

iIdentabit pronounce itself the same way as " i dans ta bite " which you can translate  from french by " i in your dick "

The equivalent thing would be like naming a french company something like "inyordik"

Any other french speakers over here who find the name no very suited for french pronunciation ?

Does that mean that bitcoin is dick coin?

Is bitshares dick shares?

lavabit?
NuBits?

Well ... Indeed.

But it doesn't sound weird because we are use to hear "bit-something" in the informatic world without thinking necessarily about our 3rd tiny leg  ...  :P

Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline Erlich Bachman

• I'm a pro
    • View Profile
The number of syllables in things that people can trade:

Bit-coin: 2
Ripp-le: 2
Eth-er: 2
Lite-coin: 2
Bit-share: 2  (or Graph-ene: 2)
Doge: 1
Maid: 1

I-Dent-a-bit: 4.  It takes way too long to say.  Limit the name to 2 syllables.

as a marketing rule, this is almost law, but in fairness to the developers, I'm sure that they have an effective abbreviation for Identibitcoins just as "Ethers" is an effective abbreviation for Ethereum

- id's ?

- dentas

-dbits

OK, we're ready to hear the effective abbreviation..

What is the accurate terminology for 2 TaxCoins?  I mean Identibits?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:35:15 pm by Erlich Bachman »
You own the network, but who pays for development?

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
The number of syllables in things that people can trade:

Bit-coin: 2
Ripp-le: 2
Eth-er: 2
Lite-coin: 2
Bit-share: 2  (or Graph-ene: 2)
Doge: 1
Maid: 1

I-Dent-a-bit: 4.  It takes way too long to say.  Limit the name to 2 syllables.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Relevant to the naming debate is also how Identabits will be used. Do people  use identabits as a medium of exchange then the name is a little long. Related question in full length: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,17934.msg228864.html#msg228864