Author Topic: Now that Daniel Larimer (aka bytemaster) is gone...  (Read 44171 times)

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
I would lean towards thinking re-branding is a bad idea (Even though both 'Bit' & 'Shares' is fairly weak imo) and also DEX as others have suggested is very limiting.

I'm in favour of bringing someone into a leadership type role, I don't think that conflicts with BTS values, provided they are selected via shareholders. (It would be nice to have some fairly fresh blood but obviously with an established track record in crypto paid very well via DPOS. Perhaps we should make a wish list of the best people in crypto for the job and start from there.)

1. No matter if Dan Larimer has indeed dumped most of his stake or not, he is gone. The market cap has surely suffered because of that but overall it's a good thing. It feels to me like a toxic relationship has finally come to an end.
For me, on the intellectual level Dan is one of the brightest people in the industry, but as a business partner and a community leader he is quite destructive.
Now it's time to move on: enjoy the good aspect (i.e. Dan's genius we inherited in the Graphene code) and let go of the bad aspect (i.e. play the victim and blame Dan for being disloyal to us).

I know very little about development but you'd have to say Dan is top 3 at least in terms of blockchain developers but unfortunately often extremely weak in other areas.

Research carried out by the Carnegie Institute of Technology shows that 85 percent of your financial success is due to skills in “human engineering,” your personality and ability to communicate, negotiate, and lead. Shockingly, only 15 percent is due to technical knowledge. Additionally, Nobel Prize winning Israeli-American psychologist, Daniel Kahneman, found that people would rather do business with a person they like and trust rather than someone they don’t, even if the likeable person is offering a lower quality product or service at a higher price.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/keldjensen/2012/04/12/intelligence-is-overrated-what-you-really-need-to-succeed/#1812d6ee6375

I think BM is learning the above the hard way as he sees weaker projects with less talented people consistently find a much greater deal of success and recognition.

If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline nomoreheroes7

• King of all the land
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: nomoreheroes7
While I think bitshares best current and near future selling point is "The Dex", fact is Bitshares can be so much more than just a dex.  It may seem like the right move now to rename, but it would be pigeon holing bitshares when it starts to expand it's feature set.

This is true. Hadn't thought of that.

Also: insert obligatory "you could have made $100,000 steemy dollars posting this to Steemit instead!!1!"

:P

Offline okidoki

• View Profile
I also think that BitShares has to stop the constant innovation... it morphed constantly and was hard to keep track of... Now there should be a consolidation. If something jumps from corner to corner the whole time it is hard to grap... Now it has all the essentials, like unlimited transactions per second... The only thing I am missing is the interest rate generated BitUSD like in the beginning... but this was stripped away by innovation...

Bitcoin has not had any innovation for 7 years and look where it is...

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
While I think bitshares best current and near future selling point is "The Dex", fact is Bitshares can be so much more than just a dex.  It may seem like the right move now to rename, but it would be pigeon holing bitshares when it starts to expand it's feature set.

Offline okidoki

• View Profile
I am against a rebranding... BitShares has an excellent brand and logo. Who would want to start from scratch?

Dash is another shoe... There a rebrand made absolute sense.

Regarding nov. 5th, I do not understand quite what this day happens? The AGS, PTS holders get a hold on their 500 million shares and can sell them finally?
Or during 2 years they were given little by little shares of these 500 million and this ends on that day?

Regarding sell pressure from Dan, I think he would not talk about BitShares in the past tense in "The DAO"-article if he still had some... even 2 months ago he sounded very different. Although he paddled back on beyondbitcoin, I think he has nothing more to sell, so this is a good thing, so there should be no selling pressure from him anymore and there should be lots of new stakeholders who entered at low price.

Also the OpenPOS thing from KenCode can let this thing take off... there is nothing like BitShares and soon the focus will shift once again from Ethereum type of tech (decentralized apps) to decentralized exchanges, when the next exchange closes... or several... besides Cryptsy there were not many Mt. Goxes lately...

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
2. Post Nov 5th.

What is supposed to happen on this date?

Vesting balances from the merger finish, which should have the same effect as a bitcoin halving.

jakub

jakub

If you missed it, Dan has not abandoned Bitshares, but has just moved the experimentation to another blockchain and has suggested in other posts when the results of those experiments yield positive results, then those things can be considered for introduction/inclusion into our current blockchain. Many of the features do revolve around new ways to provide liquidity to the markets.

I've known Dan long enough to be able to make my own judgement.
For me he did abandon BitShares (in different aspects: mentally, as a stake-holder and as a leader) and I am quite happy about that.
Without him there would be no BTS but now, as he's gone, BTS has a better chance to evolve and succeed.
With him "leading" we were stuck in a limbo.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 01:27:03 pm by jakub »

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

How about a community poll on rebranding to DEX? Its such a great name Im surprised there isnt a crypto out there already using it.

I agree, it's quite strange that the name DEX is still unclaimed.

I've planned to add a poll after some initial feedback is gathered, just to avoid knee-jerk reactions.
It's a tough and costly decision, but I think the opportunity is ideal and the name is just perfect for us.

Regarding the costs of rebranding (e.g. compensating people for domain names already bought) I think it should be covered by all of us, i.e. by a worker proposal.
It's an investment that has some risk associated with it but the benefits could be enormous.

Look what's happened to Crypti and Darkcoin. They took the risk and it payed off.
It seems Nxt is going to make a similar move pretty soon.

It's risky as it can further deepen the split in this community and become a distraction but on the other hand if we manage to pull it off efficiency it can become a truly fresh start and something that heals the wounds. At the same time we could also eliminate our dependence on Bitsapphire hosting this forum and finally move to some other, more modern forum platform.

We've been dumped after a long and difficult relationship. Now we need a tangible change that brings new energy and motivation.

The name sort of has been claimed by one of our community members here who plans in the future to start his own exchange on Bitshares. It is called The DEX.  The domain is http://www.thedex.org/ .. again this is not a working project now. It is just a placeholder.

In regards to a rebranding, there are two events to consider when this could/should occure

1. When community has new leadership that there is a consensus to back.

2. Post Nov 5th.

If you missed it, Dan has not abandoned Bitshares, but has just moved the experimentation to another blockchain and has suggested in other posts when the results of those experiments yield positive results, then those things can be considered for introduction/inclusion into our current blockchain. Many of the features do revolve around new ways to provide liquidity to the markets.

These changes however would require another pitch-fork, similar to that of 1.0 > 2.0, because the base functions are too radically different from our current code base. The steem experiment likely will reveal its potential successes/failures by September.. if what Dan offered previously is still at all feasible at that time, then I would list this as a pending 3rd event to coincide with a rebranding.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline bitsharesbrazil

• View Profile
Crypti didnt change the name......it was forked because devs didnt have the funding.....
N darkcoin you dont need to be a wise man to see that This name is not suitable for a cryptocoin that wants to be traded at regulated exchanges, Im drk longterm holder n can say the name still didnt put us in another level.
bitcointalk ANN https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1084460.0
chat, post, promote it!!!!!!!! Stan help to improve OP!

Offline -banano-

• View Profile
Ideally, someone like abit or xeroc will need to step up

where u been?

xeroc is taking us to the next level:

www.peerplays.com

Where do you think all those smartcoins for gambling are going to come from silly?

jakub

How about a community poll on rebranding to DEX? Its such a great name Im surprised there isnt a crypto out there already using it.

I agree, it's quite strange that the name DEX is still unclaimed.

I've planned to add a poll after some initial feedback is gathered, just to avoid knee-jerk reactions.
It's a tough and costly decision, but I think the opportunity is ideal and the name is just perfect for us.

Regarding the costs of rebranding (e.g. compensating people for domain names already bought) I think it should be covered by all of us, i.e. by a worker proposal.
It's an investment that has some risk associated with it but the benefits could be enormous.

Look what's happened to Crypti and Darkcoin. They took the risk and it payed off.
It seems Nxt is going to make a similar move pretty soon.

It's risky as it can further deepen the split in this community and become a distraction but on the other hand if we manage to pull it off efficiency it can become a truly fresh start and something that heals the wounds. At the same time we could also eliminate our dependence on Bitsapphire hosting this forum and finally move to some other, more modern forum platform.

We've been dumped after a long and difficult relationship. Now we need a tangible change that brings new energy and motivation. 

Offline bitsharesbrazil

• View Profile
I like bitshares, a lot of history for me, this name has a reputation, has history, has community, has projetc, people know bitshares n talk about every day in crypto chat, its is known by media since 2014, i fully disagree.....

Dan is at steemit.... Why we cannot stabilish a partnership n hire them to have the best improvement implemented?
bitcointalk ANN https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1084460.0
chat, post, promote it!!!!!!!! Stan help to improve OP!

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
I agree that a rebrand could be helpful, and calling it simply DEX is a great way to hammer home what it is. BitShares was quite confusing.

dex.openledger.info is so much better than bitshares.openledger.info

+5%