Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 251464 times)

Offline Nattylitecoin

• View Profile
Hi, I recently downloaded 2.0 directory in for Linux and having problems launching it, I want to get my coins off the exchange for these moments, may I please get some love or link for bts set up for dummies. Pm if more appropriate. TIA.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 03:37:15 am by Nattylitecoin »

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Im currently compiling my BTS-1 wallet to 0.9.3 so that I can create a new backup that can be imported into the the 2.0 web wallet - jesus this is complicated.

Is the cli_wallet just for exchanges etc? Most general users would want to run the web wallet (sometimes a local one), so is it true they would never need the cli_wallet? Are the any differences in security between the running your own web wallet and the cli_wallet?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Hi All,

I can't seem to get going with the light wallet, not matter if I use Windows 10, 8.1 or my Mac OS X.

I have my backup but I can't even get passed creating a new account, let alone importing the keys.

Failed to create wallet: TypeError: Invalid value undefined supplied to WalletTcomb/chain_id: String - Then Failed to create account.

Any ideas?

Currently trying with the 287 clinet
Wallet bug afaik .. should be fixes by now

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
About a week before the snapshot I made a wallet.json backup of my wallet.
A day before the snapshot I sent my bitshares held on exchanges to the account.

Do I need to need to install 0.9.3c and rescan  for the transaction and then export the new wallet for importing into the new 2.0 client.

Or can I just import into 2.0?

Thanks!
Yes .. you need to first install bts 0.9.3 and sync the chain so ypu see your transaction there .. the you can export a new file

Offline Rossco99

• View Profile
Hi All,

I managed to import my keys successfully and even create a new account, I needed to reload the app after I initially launched it "View - Reload or CTRL-R"

Offline Bitshares222

• BTS Account: limpbusta2
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: limpbusta2
Hi guys,
Anyone knows what is going on with Bittrex exchange?

Offline phillyguy

You should be clicking on existing accounts, not create new account on the login screen.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Rossco99

• View Profile
Hi All,

I can't seem to get going with the light wallet, not matter if I use Windows 10, 8.1 or my Mac OS X.

I have my backup but I can't even get passed creating a new account, let alone importing the keys.

Failed to create wallet: TypeError: Invalid value undefined supplied to WalletTcomb/chain_id: String - Then Failed to create account.

Any ideas?

Currently trying with the 287 clinet

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
About a week before the snapshot I made a wallet.json backup of my wallet.
A day before the snapshot I sent my bitshares held on exchanges to the account.

Do I need to need to install 0.9.3c and rescan  for the transaction and then export the new wallet for importing into the new 2.0 client.

Or can I just import into 2.0?

Thanks!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I have a name registered on the blockchain from 0.8.
Can I continue sending funds to that account name if don't make an account yet in 2.0?
Yes. You may verify that your account (active) key is the same as in bitshares 2.. but it certainly is.

For example, can I make a transaction from an exchange to that account name now?
Sure.

If I have the private keys (unencrypted WIF) for that account will I be able to access the funds later?
Depends .. I assume your account is a TITAN-enabled account (unless you tell me
the name and I can check it) and thus you need to import it into BitShares 0.9
first, rescan the blockchain and catch all transactions still on the bitshares 1 blockchain.
Read more about it on docs.bitshares.org/migration

is wallet_import_private_key still supported in 2.0?
you can manually import you private keys in wif format if you wish.

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile
I have a name registered on the blockchain from 0.8.
Can I continue sending funds to that account name if don't make an account yet in 2.0?
For example, can I make a transaction from an exchange to that account name now?
If I have the private keys (unencrypted WIF) for that account will I be able to access the funds later?

is wallet_import_private_key still supported in 2.0?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
It all breaks down to "how you import your funds"

How can we import funds without revealing balances?

that doesn't work .. you need to claim the balance in "clear-text" .. use a new account to import your balance if you don't want to link it to your existing account ..
Not sure if the wallet supports blinded transactions yet .. but once you have claimed your stuff you will be able to send them inn a blinded transaction

Tuck Fheman

It all breaks down to "how you import your funds"

How can we import funds without revealing balances?

Offline godzirra

• View Profile
I'm looking for a dedicated device to just hold my bts wallet on. I don't want to risk getting hacked. It's a substantial amount of bts as I have accumulated since 2013. Does anyone have a recommendations?

I was even thinking of buying a separate laptop just for this purpose. Is that overkill?

Feel kind of dumb asking but it's a genuine concern that I have regarding this uninsured crypto world.

I don't think it's an overkill, but on the other hand I don't think it could be wise to spent $600 in order to secure $2000, in this scenario you could probably use a dual boot system and be ok. Also I don't think it could be a bad idea to keep a small fraction of your funds in the dual boot system even if you have the laptop. I'm also curious about what other people think..

Yeah its much more than $2000. I just want to know what the best practice is. Especially when I'm referring my friends, I need to know what to recommend.

BitShares 2.0 will make it alot easier to secure your funds .. you can use hierarchical corporate accounts then (tutorial will follow ASAP)

Thanks xeroc. I'm not a computer guy and this is probably the main barrier to entry for a lot of older folks. Who generally have most of the money. I'll be looking for this.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
The settlement will always happen AT the feed .. and there is a time delay .. I think 24h or so .. until settlement request and actual settlement

I remember also 24H...
But I just had an idea!
Make it sense the settlement take place at a random time between the next 24 hours? So the one that makes the settlement is guaranteed not to manipulate the  price-feed in anyway after exactly 24 hours? Make that sense?