Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 251546 times)

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano

I will wait for your reply about this. Do you still see a need to install the old .0.9 version?

The web wallet / light wallet can only import files created by 0.9.3c. Those from earlier versions do not work.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline Ray

• View Profile
Which file do I upload to the web wallet where it says "Import Backup"? I have four JSON files in my folder. The folder is dated 12/10/2015 but the JSON files are dated 4/9/2015 (two files) and 4/24/2015 (two files).

I had the original Bitshares wallet and upgraded to the 2.0. After the upgrade I bought some Bitshares and had trouble with the wallet. It was independent of the web wallet. I re-installed the download of the 2.0 and now it just shows up as the web wallet. It is different from the first upload I had.

What's up?

Thanks.

I think the desktop client is just the web wallet running with an invisible browser in the background. Same thing, right?

I would fire up 0.9.3c first. Then  make a backup of the the wallet from the menu, saving it on your desktop or something.

Then, through 0.9.3c there's a command you have to run (from the console if linux) that converts your old JSON (the one you just saved) into something Graphene (2.0) can understand. That command is wallet_export_keys I think. More info at this link: http://docs.bitshares.eu/migration/

This creates another new JSON that the new clients can look at and import. Once that's done you'll want to backup your newly imported wallet though 2.0, this time it will save as a .bin file. Then you're good.

I had the old version of .0.9 etc...  but never made any purchases under that version. I upgraded to the new 2.0 and traded peercoin for bitshares. So I don't see the need for uploading from the old .0.9 version.

Is this correct?

and yes, I now recognize that the 2.0 is a browser based and there is no independent wallet like other coins. I am learning this and like what I see in Bitshares. I just want to get back to seeing my bitshares in my wallet.

I had problems with java recently but got that fixed. Perhaps it was the problem all along. I will try to insert the files I cut and pasted to my flash drive, from the first installation of 2.0 and see if it works now with the repaired java.

I will wait for your reply about this. Do you still see a need to install the old .0.9 version?

Thank you.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
I was given this message when trying to import my wallet: "Please use a BTS 1.0 wallet_export_keys file instead"
When I looked at the tutorial on how to export wallet files, it shows that I did exactly what I was supposed to.

I have been using this tutorial:
http://docs.bitshares.eu/migration/howto-importing-wallet.html

Did you use 0.9.3c for the export? If not, install 0.9.3c and export again. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Hmmm 0.9.3c is not working (running linux).
I'll try installing it on my windows computer at work (was just concerned about the security as its a network computer).
But at this point really just need to get my money out.

It was all my christmas present money that I was saving  :'(

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

Which file do I upload to the web wallet where it says "Import Backup"? I have four JSON files in my folder. The folder is dated 12/10/2015 but the JSON files are dated 4/9/2015 (two files) and 4/24/2015 (two files).

I had the original Bitshares wallet and upgraded to the 2.0. After the upgrade I bought some Bitshares and had trouble with the wallet. It was independent of the web wallet. I re-installed the download of the 2.0 and now it just shows up as the web wallet. It is different from the first upload I had.

What's up?

Thanks.

I think the desktop client is just the web wallet running with an invisible browser in the background. Same thing, right?

I would fire up 0.9.3c first. Then  make a backup of the the wallet from the menu, saving it on your desktop or something.

Then, through 0.9.3c there's a command you have to run (from the console if linux) that converts your old JSON (the one you just saved) into something Graphene (2.0) can understand. That command is wallet_export_keys I think. More info at this link: http://docs.bitshares.eu/migration/

This creates another new JSON that the new clients can look at and import. Once that's done you'll want to backup your newly imported wallet though 2.0, this time it will save as a .bin file. Then you're good.

Offline Ray

• View Profile

What's up?

Thanks.

Offline pc

• View Profile
I was given this message when trying to import my wallet: "Please use a BTS 1.0 wallet_export_keys file instead"
When I looked at the tutorial on how to export wallet files, it shows that I did exactly what I was supposed to.

Did you use 0.9.3c for the export? If not, install 0.9.3c and export again. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
About a week before the snapshot I made a wallet.json backup of my wallet.
A day before the snapshot I sent my bitshares held on exchanges to the account.

Do I need to need to install 0.9.3c and rescan  for the transaction and then export the new wallet for importing into the new 2.0 client.

Or can I just import into 2.0?

Thanks!
I have been trying to get my old wallet to sync, but cant.
Should I still try and import my wallet into the new web-wallet or will I defiantly loose my shares.

It was about $400 worth that I transferred a day before the snap-shot and I couldnt get the wallet to sync in time to make a new back up file.   :'(

Don't expect the old client to sync past block 3826650 - that's the last one that I have. If your head block is from Oct 13 you're probably good.

You can just import your old wallet into the web wallet and check if the balance is what you'd expect.
If not, ISTR that someone put up the old blockchain for download somewhere. Use that to sync your old client, the make a backup and import that again. You will not lose any shares as long as you keep backups of all your wallets.

I phrased that poorly. What I meant was use all of your voting power, but pick and choose what you want to vote on and what you want to use a proxy for. (For example, if I want to trust my proxies judgment for most matters, but I'd like to change their vote for a specific proposal, or perhaps hand pick a couple of witnesses)

That's currently not possible, but could be implemented of course. It would make the vote counting algorithm significantly more complicated though and would therefore probably cost a lot to get implemented, so I doubt it's going to climb very high on the priorities list.

Thanks, I'll give it a bash.

Offline roadscape

We've had this nice thread: Payment business: comparison between Bitshares and it's competitors.
Does anyone remember a forum thread offering a similar comparison but regrading the exchange business?

Was it a comparison of DEX vs. centralized exchanges?
Yes, I'm looking the thread where this comparison was made.
Does anyone have a link to this thread or remember who started it?

No idea, any of these?
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=17105.0
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=7446.0
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20023.0.html
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=16711.0
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile

Do I need to need to install 0.9.3c and rescan  for the transaction and then export the new wallet for importing into the new 2.0 client.

Thanks!
Should I still try and import my wallet into the new web-wallet or will I defiantly loose my shares.

It was about $400 worth that I transferred a day before the snap-shot and I couldnt get the wallet to sync in time to make a new back up file.   :'(

Don't expect the old client to sync past block 3826650 - that's the last one that I have. If your head block is from Oct 13 you're probably good.

You can just import your old wallet into the web wallet and check if the balance is what you'd expect.
If not, ISTR that someone put up the old blockchain for download somewhere. Use that to sync your old client, the make a backup and import that again. You will not lose any shares as long as you keep backups of all your wallets.

I phrased that poorly. What I meant was use all of your voting power, but pick and choose what you want to vote on and what you want to use a proxy for. (For example, if I want to trust my proxies judgment for most matters, but I'd like to change their vote for a specific proposal, or perhaps hand pick a couple of witnesses)

That's currently not possible, but could be implemented of course. It would make the vote counting algorithm significantly more complicated though and would therefore probably cost a lot to get implemented, so I doubt it's going to climb very high on the priorities list.

Thanks, I'll give it a bash.

jakub

We've had this nice thread: Payment business: comparison between Bitshares and it's competitors.
Does anyone remember a forum thread offering a similar comparison but regrading the exchange business?

Was it a comparison of DEX vs. centralized exchanges?
Yes, I'm looking the thread where this comparison was made.
Does anyone have a link to this thread or remember who started it?

Offline pc

• View Profile

Thanks!

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

Is it possible to pick and choose proposals/committee members/witnesses and then cede whatever voting power you didn't overwrite on to a proxy?

if not that's an idea.

It's not possible, simply because you cannot use only a part of your voting power (unless you split your funds over several accounts of course).

Offline roadscape

Thanks guys.  I have a lifetime membership but it is still charging me 30bts for a transfer.  Is this part of the cashback program or is there something I am missing?

It's part of the cashback program, yes. Fees over 100 BTS vest for 90 days, but smaller fees are available to withdraw right away (or at least after hourly maintenance?)

30 bts is less than 100 bts... or are you talking about accumulated fees?

Just saying that cashback from a 30 BTS transfer fee will "skip" the vesting period and be available to withdraw the same day. But if you were to pay 20,000 BTS for an account upgrade, the cashback would vest over 90 days.
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile

Thanks!

Offline morpheus

• View Profile
Thanks guys.  I have a lifetime membership but it is still charging me 30bts for a transfer.  Is this part of the cashback program or is there something I am missing?

It's part of the cashback program, yes. Fees over 100 BTS vest for 90 days, but smaller fees are available to withdraw right away (or at least after hourly maintenance?)

30 bts is less than 100 bts... or are you talking about accumulated fees?