Author Topic: Bter hacked. PTS, bitassets withdrawal successful. Share you experience.  (Read 123217 times)

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

People too often state that things should be done by someone .. wake up guys .. bitshares is decentralized .. so do it yourself .. once s.o. started plenty of people will join ..

I agree  +5%
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline wesphily

• View Profile
People too often state that things should be done by someone .. wake up guys .. bitshares is decentralized .. so do it yourself .. once s.o. started plenty of people will join ..

The company I work for has been trying to decentralize management. No more top down.

It has failed miserably. Things don't get done quickly (if at all). People who are leaders do all the work. Most people need direction or they just sit idle. The idea of decentralization sounds good but it is not a good mechanism for getting things done.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
thanks for mentioning us!

We will add more Assets in the near future and will increase the transferable amount. So we are trying to reduce the 3rd pary risk for all of you.

You are offering a great service so far and with the exhange rates that you offer this is just wow...

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
If i remember correctly someone on bitcointalk said we were missing an announcement thread. I think this comes in great timing. If it wasn't done already, it should be done to take maximum advantage of this situation.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
poloniex is still not proceeding any bts tx.where can l purchase Bitshares now?

Transfer your btc to bitbtc via
https://metaexchange.info/

and convert your bitbtc to bts...

alternative solution btc38 but no one knows when they will get hacked as well..

thanks for mentioning us!

We will add more Assets in the near future and will increase the transferable amount. So we are trying to reduce the 3rd pary risk for all of you.

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile
Everything is faster in crypto!  Including justice!

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
http://247cryptonews.com/bter-got-hacked-7000-bitcoins-stolen-7-different-accounts/
"
[UPDATE 2-15-2015 – 9:55 PM +2 UTC]

We have a suspect! With help from Franko Collective people who started as well to research on this horrible situation of BTER. His name is Woźniak Sebastian he is the guy that owns the server in Switzerland with the IP 46.28.204.193. Why do we believe it’s a suspect? Well, he seems to be a hacking & Bitcoin enthusiast having an article on Hacking9 & a profile on Bitcoin Foundation. Also, he scammed people in the past on Bitcointalk and has a scarce information on his Facebook account. We have a strong belief that in a way or other Wozniak Sebastian is implied in this hack. Until future investigation he will remain “suspect” and not guilty.
"
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
my estimate is that the hacker manages to sell 1,000 BTC and since he might be discovered (if not already) he will return the remaining 6,000 and maybe receive another 500 BTC from BTER and then the rest will be history..No alts will be affected and BTER will most probably do the right thing to its customers..BTC will rise again once the shock is over...

But let's prepare for a marketing about this...People should learn not to  leave much in centralized exchanges and trade within BTS. They will learn eventually one way or another I guess...

Offline blahblah7up

• View Profile
There is now only 1 central exchange (that has more than $2000/day volume) to buy and sell BitShares. This seems like a very precarious position.

On the same note, there's a > 300 comment thread about bter leading /r/bitcoin. A couple mentions of decentralized exchanges, and no mention of Bitshares. We are invisible to the outside world.

I think there were comments about Bitshares on there.  And they were subsequently deleted.  I visited early on when there were only approx. 40 comments in the thread and there was already a little discussion between people saying they used Bitshares and now more people will probably use it now, etc.  It was positive mostly.  Someone mentioned 300% collateral and then someone else commented that in practice it is closer to 250%.

I can't be 100% positive it wasn't another thread which just didn't gain the momentum because I don't remember the precise title.  But I think it was that one.  In any case, I went back later to see how the conversation developed and was surprised not to find one mention of Bitshares there.

Offline onceuponatime

I've seen several posts stating that bitcoins were stolen and not bitshares and therefore customers with BTS balances at Bter should be ok, but I wonder if that's true. Assuming Bter isn't able to recover from this and goes into bankruptcy, isn't it likely that all of its deposits would be pooled and divided among all account holders/creditors rather than having just the customers with BTC balances bear the whole loss?

That is likely one of the possibilities. We are in uncharted territory here.

Offline Black Arrow

• View Profile
I've seen several posts stating that bitcoins were stolen and not bitshares and therefore customers with BTS balances at Bter should be ok, but I wonder if that's true. Assuming Bter isn't able to recover from this and goes into bankruptcy, isn't it likely that all of its deposits would be pooled and divided among all account holders/creditors rather than having just the customers with BTC balances bear the whole loss?

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile

Transfer your btc to bitbtc via
https://metaexchange.info/

and convert your bitbtc to bts...

alternative solution btc38 but no one knows when they will get hacked as well..

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
On the same note, there's a > 300 comment thread about bter leading /r/bitcoin. A couple mentions of decentralized exchanges, and no mention of Bitshares. We are invisible to the outside world.

We need some phat volume in the BitBTC:BitUSD market, and we need to put that market chart up on bitshares.org. Then everyone will pay attention.

Offline neo1344

• View Profile