Author Topic: [Worker Proposal] Blockchain maintenance developer  (Read 7947 times)

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Steemit Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Re: [Worker Proposal] Blockchain maintenance developer
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 12:30:55 pm »

another way is I wish promise pay you  with the future income, if you are not lack of money for basic life now.
BTS paid from the reserve pool IS the future income indeed. All fees go to the reserve pool currently.

If we can gain 400K BTS per day from fees, there won't be "dilution".

On contrast, balance on committee-account is "operating capital", not income.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:33:57 pm by abit »
BTS account: abit
BTS committee member: abit
BTS witness: in.abit

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 12:34:15 pm »

another way is I wish promise pay you  with the future income, if you are not lack of money for basic life now.
BTS paid from the reserve pool IS the future income indeed. All fees go to the reserve pool currently.
I say pay from the future income means in the future,when the network earned a cent, we can pay a cent.

Offline Riverhead

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 01:00:27 pm »

If we look at the total number of BTS in the pool, in circulation, in reserve accounts, etc. there is no dilution. All that can happen is shifting BTS from one bucket to another. It would be best to value your BTS taking all in existence into consideration. Once the reserve pool runs out then we're really in a pickle. So the goal has to be burn the funds we have to make the product profitable enough to rebuild the pool.

The talk of dilution only has meaning when the reserve pool isn't considered. Am I wrong in that no BTS is every created or destroyed only accessible or not?

Assuming this is all correct then what danotestein is asking for (~$200/day at current prices for three+ resources) is a good deal.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 01:09:05 pm »
The talk of dilution only has meaning when the reserve pool isn't considered. Am I wrong in that no BTS is every created or destroyed only accessible or not?
Correct .. kind of:
- If you take the reserves into the "available supply", then there is no "dilution"
- If you do not take it into "available supply", then there is dilution

We could have another setup namely those that feel ok with it can ask for a USD/€ amount instead of BTS. The worker itself is owned by a multisig account (potentially committee, but possibly also someone else). Hence the "dilution" is payed into a multisig account that has promised to pay $/€ to the real "worker" (e.g. me or dannotestein). Now, the interesting part would be, if you ask for a vesting period of say 4 months, then the multisig account can maybe buy bitUSD/bitEUR cheaper in the those 4 months and have a "reserver" from what has been payed out by the network.. those funds could be burned or used to provide liquidity (which they are anyway if they want to buy bitUSD)
[member=4465]alt[/member] .. how about that?
[member=11]dannotestein[/member] would you be ok with a deal like that since it bears the "risk" of getting less out of the worker than what you asked for if BTS goes even lower.
Ask for me, I can think of doing it that way ..

Assuming this is all correct then what danotestein is asking for (~$200/day at current prices for three+ resources) is a good deal.
Agreed.
Give BitShares a try! Use the http://testnet.bitshares.eu provided by http://bitshares.eu powered by ChainSquad GmbH

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 01:10:41 pm »
xeroc, I appreciate  your work, you give me the most help.
I'll be glad to approve to pay you from the committee's balance.
but not from dilution. I have said, dilution 1 USD, share holders lost 10 USD.

you are the important person as I know, because your work support the business.

at the same time, I am worriy about we don't have enough money to pay for you,
so I'm glad to request a parttime job, I wish you can earn more money from other rich company.

Thanks for the kind words .. I do understand the issue we are having here .. please take a look at the above proposal. It is of interest to me since I need to renew my worker rather soonish
Give BitShares a try! Use the http://testnet.bitshares.eu provided by http://bitshares.eu powered by ChainSquad GmbH

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Steemit Blog
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 03:28:10 pm »
Here I quoted some discussions on Telegram channels which happened yesterday:
(someone)   EMERGENCY FIX! ALL WITNESSES PLEASE UPGRADE TO LATEST bitshares BRANCH ASAP!

(witness1)   building now
(witness2)   Building
(witness3)   Building
(witness4)   I'll be building in a few minutes
(witness5)  building
(someone)
GUYS
so sorry... BM just told me that this is a false alarm..

(someone)
the one liner change is .... i am not sure if the witnesses understand the code involved since they are not a dev. nevertheless, it is important to verify before broadcasting to the rest which may cause an unnecessary alarm.

(Dan Notestein)
in this case, Eric and I took a look at the line in question and realized it didn't do anything, then contacted BM (the author) to see if he agreed (it didn't do anything cause the same check was already included about 10 lines up). He agreed and the update was cancelled.
So there is review of the changes, but it should have had more review before such a hard fork announcement was made, IMO.

Offline dannotestein

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 04:17:21 pm »
I'm fine with the worker pay being denominated in BTS rather than a usd/euro equivalent. If we see a significant appreciation in the value of BTS, we can increase the amount of work we do (and I think BTS is near its low side now). It's relatively easy for BlockTrades to convert pay to different forms as required by different contractors.

We'll put together a list of some of the problems we would address near term, but one of the ones that stood out for me was the high data spamming across the websocket that was stressing mobile web browsers.
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 05:42:52 pm »
I would support this proposal.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Steemit Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 06:56:42 pm »

We'll put together a list of some of the problems we would address near term, but one of the ones that stood out for me was the high data spamming across the websocket that was stressing mobile web browsers.
Great.

Offline dannotestein

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 07:58:18 pm »
Theo and I were discussing what kinds of issues we think should be tackled by this worker proposal based on the current github issues, and we came up with these general categories:

- minor bugfixes
- performance issues (websocket spaming is a high priority one, as this can seriously affect mobile web browsers)
- more unit tests (many are pending as issues in github now). Both of the last two network halts could have been potentially averted by more unit tests.
- Code cleanup (poor coding techniques, inconsistent coding methods, naming conventions, etc)
- BlockChain-level documentation
- cli_wallet maintenance (there's several issues related to the current API caching used by the cli wallet)
- minor features

jakub

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 09:25:20 pm »
I would support this proposal.

Offline bitacer

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 07:18:44 pm »
This is nice, DAC is working ! 

Offline bitacer

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 07:34:49 pm »
This looks like a Keynesian model that is implemented nicely and fairly. Like building highways for everybody's benefit. Money comes from the reserves, its not like those sneaky IOU cryptos or UIAs penetrate into the system, imo those are the dilution.

Offline dannotestein

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 05:34:51 pm »
I've sent the official proposal to the blockchain. It can be found in the wallet under "Voting" in the Workers tab as "Blockchain maintenance developer". As a side note, as I just found this out: you need to press either Approve or Reject, and THEN you must press Publish Changes button at top of screen. I've suggested a change to this interface since it deeply confused me.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 07:26:56 pm by dannotestein »

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Steemit Blog
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2016, 04:55:27 am »
I've sent the official proposal to the blockchain. It can be found in the wallet under "Voting" in the Workers tab as "Blockchain maintenance developer". As a side note, as I just found this out: you need to press either Approve or Reject, and THEN you must press Publish Changes button at top of screen. I've suggested a change to this interface since it deeply confused me.
This https://github.com/cryptonomex/graphene-ui/issues/718? I've added some comments there.

Basically you're asking for $200 per day with weekends/holidays included. What's your hourly rate? Will you make daily/weekly work reports? The biggest obstacle here is how to validate/value your work.

Imo you're a bit too optimistic about the worker.. Take it seriously. Politics matters. If bytemaster voted for your worker with no reason, will make a big trouble with Chinese community. If bytermaster doesn't vote, your worker is hard to be approved. Better do something first and apply for the worker later. Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:12:04 am by abit »