Author Topic: Bter hacked. PTS, bitassets withdrawal successful. Share you experience.  (Read 122979 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
FUCK what terrible timing. I hope they let us withdraw everything besides the BTC.

And bter buyout is a terrible idea, you really can't think of something better to spend money on, or that we would have the bandwidth to run an entire exchange? And how exactly did you plan to raise $2m again?
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline hpenvy2

• View Profile
We have no idea what the situation is with BTER and we're already discussing buying them out? I don't understand the logic. Let's offer assistance and formulate a plan around new information.

Offline bluebit

• View Profile
We seriously need a Developer and Community Hangout this week about this Bter Buyout Discussion. I'd like to hear the thoughts from the developers and the community. And let's hope we can all come to a solution if we do decide to strike a deal with Bter.
BTSX TipMe: bluebit

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

If we are going to raise millions for something.. it's not going to be to buy out someone else right now.. that money is better spent in the development of our own ecosystem. I use the word 'development' in the largest sense of the word too.. from marketing to coding.
So you recommand just shrugging off what could be our once in a life time opportunity to make it big, keep doing more of the same, and hope that the world will suddenly awake one morning and realize that we exist?

How about betting on your own horse that has a running chance instead of wanting to put your money behind the one with the broken leg?
That analogy is desingenuous. Our horse may be the most pure thouroughbred the world has ever seen but it's running a race no-one cares about with little prospect of ever being noticed. BTER's horse may be a common breed, but it's been winning its share of races so far; it may have twisted its leg right now but it's still a good horse with a massive following running the league-1 races at every season. And now we get a change of buying that horse and make it run our race as well, and get all the attention we deserve. But you don't want because you know it twisted its ankle at last race.

You are vocal about how BTER is broken but I think that it's not an objetive assessment of reality. BTER's exchange business is the same money making machine it was last week, with a large and loyal user base and well positionned on a large market. They have two problems: a weak security, a 7170 BTC debt. The former can be addressed by running audits, and moving the wallet management to multisig. The second can be addressed by a bail out. Fix the two problems and BTER is back on track like if none of that ever happened. Let's also not forget that for all its technical shortcomings, BTER has been doing much better than us in terms of marketing and they are the ones sending us business, not the other way round.

Love the enthusiasm about the opportunity..  +5% I just think it's misdirected.. our enthusiasm should be getting translated into well targeted messaging and invites to the rest of the world welcoming them to decentralization.
Messages no one will listen because they just don't care. Bitcoiners have the attention span of a 5-year old. If you don't have special effects, you suck and that's it. Look at Paycoin: a complete pile of bullshit from the start, and they managed to make it big for a while with something as lame and ridiculous as a completly unsubstanciated and unrealistic USD 20 floor claim. How they did that: they just dared, it's as simple as that. I'm not saying that we should take them as example, but it's important to realize that user base, marketing and PR is what makes or breaks a product. If you still think that market leaders are winning because they have the best product, you should ask yourself why Bitshares is still that notably unpopular after it has released the most kickass appliction of game theory since the inception of Bitcoin whereas everyone has heard of Dogecoin and its 5-min copy-pasta Bitcoin clone.

Didn't shrug it off at all.. I can't count how many times I have said this is a marketing opportunity around forums today... and if there is a rally to raise millions.. put it in our development... which includes marketing.

I accept you have a different perspective on where thing are at.. my analogy is apt though when you consider centralized exchanges to be a broken legged horse.. kinda seen this over and over and over again now. That's my perspective on it.

marketing and PR is what makes or breaks a product.

Yeah.. that fit into 'development' as I said.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline sudo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: ags

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube

Doe bter even have a bank partnership? I thought Ego pay was their only fiat option?

Yea. Deposit CNY via bank transfer?  And the much-sought-after BTC on/off-ramp?
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso

Why can't we bail out bter? Buy it completely as our onramp/offramp channel?

I'm guessing that would be very expensive...

not so expensive if they are bankrupt... What do they have that would be most valuable to us , maybe just need their licenses/compliance arrangements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, their  licenses/compliance records. And their experiences in operating an exchange!

Could our business dev Gentso1 sounds out Bter about a possible deal?  If the deal is affordable to bitshares, we should take it up.  This solves a big headache - fiat on/off-ramp.  I believe a huge marketing buzz would follow.

Doe bter even have a bank partnership? I thought Ego pay was their only fiat option?

Offline klosure

• View Profile
If we are going to raise millions for something.. it's not going to be to buy out someone else right now.. that money is better spent in the development of our own ecosystem. I use the word 'development' in the largest sense of the word too.. from marketing to coding.
So you recommand just shrugging off what could be our once in a life time opportunity to make it big, keep doing more of the same, and hope that the world will suddenly awake one morning and realize that we exist?

How about betting on your own horse that has a running chance instead of wanting to put your money behind the one with the broken leg?
That analogy is desingenuous. Our horse may be the most pure thouroughbred the world has ever seen but it's running a race no-one cares about with little prospect of ever being noticed. BTER's horse may be a common breed, but it's been winning its share of races so far; it may have twisted its leg right now but it's still a good horse with a massive following running the league-1 races at every season. And now we get a change of buying that horse and make it run our race as well, and get all the attention we deserve. But you don't want because you know it twisted its ankle at last race.

You are vocal about how BTER is broken but I think that it's not an objetive assessment of reality. BTER's exchange business is the same money making machine it was last week, with a large and loyal user base and well positionned on a large market. They have two problems: a weak security, a 7170 BTC debt. The former can be addressed by running audits, and moving the wallet management to multisig. The second can be addressed by a bail out. Fix the two problems and BTER is back on track like if none of that ever happened. Let's also not forget that for all its technical shortcomings, BTER has been doing much better than us in terms of marketing and they are the ones sending us business, not the other way round.

Love the enthusiasm about the opportunity..  +5% I just think it's misdirected.. our enthusiasm should be getting translated into well targeted messaging and invites to the rest of the world welcoming them to decentralization.
Messages no one will listen because they just don't care. Bitcoiners have the attention span of a 5-year old. If you don't have special effects, you suck and that's it. Look at Paycoin: a complete pile of bullshit from the start, and they managed to make it big for a while with something as lame and ridiculous as a completly unsubstanciated and unrealistic USD 20 floor claim. How they did that: they just dared, it's as simple as that. I'm not saying that we should take them as example, but it's important to realize that user base, marketing and PR is what makes or breaks a product. If you still think that market leaders are winning because they have the best product, you should ask yourself why Bitshares is still that notably unpopular after it has released the most kickass appliction of game theory since the inception of Bitcoin whereas everyone has heard of Dogecoin and its 5-min copy-pasta Bitcoin clone.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 06:43:14 pm by klosure »

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

+5%

+5%

Offline CalabiYau

+5%

Offline ag

• View Profile

If a seasoned exchange like Bter won't make a qualified on & off ramp in your eyes, which one could?

+5%

Bter has been forthcoming  and recovered well from their NXT hacked.  Now they are facing their second crisis but yet again they are forthcoming  with updates.  Bter has a good following of Chinese community.  Bter was a big exchange for bts before the hack.  If Bter does well, BTS does well too. 

Bter has real world licenses that could be used to perform fiat <-> bts and fiat <-> bitUSD/bitCNY ie on/off-ramp.  If BTS buy out Bter, it gives a big boost to bter (ie increase confidence in their finances) and a huge marketing buzz to BTS  (finally a on/off-ramp!).   This solves a big problem for BTS. Win-Win.

Agreed. BTER as on/off-ramp would be epic. Their sevice was always good and reliable.

Snapswap, Coinbase, and Circle are all better on/off ramps than Bter in my opinion. Coinbase and Circle have professional KYC protocol and allow instant btc buys with credit card with daily / weekly limits. Snapswap uses KnoxPayments to let you make instant bank deposits of $300 per day at 1% fee from more than 15 major banks, onto the ripple network in USD.snapswap. And Snapswap also lets make withdrawals from the ripple network directly to a paypal account.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 01:28:48 pm by ag »

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline cube

• View Profile
If BTER is put under decentralized dac-based management and cold wallet access moved to delegate controlled multisign, this will be a first in crypto history and I would be very surprised if the user base doesn't actually become bigger.

A First-in-history delegate-controlled multisign cold wallet. This sounds like a good marketing buzz for bitshare.

Yes. 100 times Yes. Bitshares has been a marketing non-event since inception. We direly need to start to exist as something news worthy in the mind of our target customer base. Yes this will cost 20x Brian Page's yearly salary, but this will do 1000x time the effect all at once. It's not even speculation: by owning BTER, you effectively have all the altcoin community as a userbase and they'll keeping hearing about Bitshares every time they login to BTER.

Yes, if we could pay Brian Page that much money, investing (a portion) into a Bter-generated-marketing buzz does not seems so costly after all.

No, we are sending the message that we are a big player capable of acquiring companies, and have an influence in the real world. Being decentralized doesn't mean being completely cut from the real world. That's autism, not decentralization.

"A Decentralised Company Is Making Acqusition and Merger!"

Another first in history.

We shall see.
Hint: there is a reason why NXT almost considered a rollback last time BTER got hacked and strayed involve until a solution was found.

Yes, nothing wrong with having a board meeting (of a Decentralised Company) among shareholders to discuss bitshares acquisition and merger.

Right, none of the thousands of altcoiners who have balances in BTER will appreciate to find out that they haven't lost their balance after all, and none of them will be interested to know that the cold wallets are becoming multisign and management is transparent, and none of the news outlet will relay that. We must definitely live in a very different reality.

Yes, investing in Bter also means acquiring the many Bter users who would be grateful to Bitshares' gift to Bter's revival.

Acquiring BTER is bold. It's a bet. It's wild. But if we can't get around thinking of doing things like that, Bitshares won't even be a side noted in history books covering the crypto era.

+5%
Excellent marketing and investment opportunity here.  Is it time to Think Big?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:14:55 am by cube »

Offline cube

• View Profile

They only supported USD through a single third party payment processor - EgoPay, and then they killed even that.  So basically they used a centralized gateway on-ramp onto their centralized exchange.  We already have a decentralized exchange and need an onramp, and they had a centralized exchange and needed an onramp.

The only thing they had that I used was onramp from BTC and other crypto to BTS and bitAssets.

If that is true, USD is out. We are left with BTC and CNY on-ramps?  Someone with the info can fill in the gap.

Offline merlin0113

• View Profile
According to this article, exchanges would be potential gateways. But they are not becoming even one. Why is that?
http://bytemaster.bitshares.org/update/2014/12/18/Benefits-of-Being-a-BitShares-Gateway/