Author Topic: Important Criticism  (Read 48578 times)

jakub

I propose a complete set:

ubit - for the currency
ubitex (or ubitum) - for the blockchain/ecosystem
remitex (or remitum) - for the remittance business

ubit.org is still free according to godaddy

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
You guys are overthinking it. This isn't a consumer-facing product. It will succeed or fail based on business relations and partnerships, not branding.

I think you're right. Reading Underwun's posts closely, you will see that IDB is a layer. Upon that layer will be built other businesses, such as the remittance service he initially told us about (I'm very excited for that one). So if IDB is more of a back-end product, then a consumer-focused brand name is not as important.

Separately, in principle, I'm sick of all the 'bit' names. Enough with the 'bit' shit. It doesn't need to be in every name.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 04:28:04 pm by donkeypong »

Offline triox

• View Profile
  • BitShares: triox
You guys are overthinking it. This isn't a consumer-facing product. It will succeed or fail based on business relations and partnerships, not branding.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Identabit is just fine (just drop the capital D).

I don't get this trend that companies or products has to be named with commonly used words like "circle" or "square" or "unique". Never tried to google a word like that? There will be many pages of results until the company site will be found.

Also it would be nice if the name is easily pronounceable for both english and non-english speakers. No weird phones/sounds. If somebody says the name, you should be able to know or easily guess how that it is written. "Younique" is a bad example, because if you say it, you need to explain every time that "it's like unique but with yo in front of it" and people will be like "WTF?".

"Bitcoin" is pretty good name. Simple but no other existing meanings. Easy to pronounce and write, although it has letter c which is retarded (it can be pronounced like k or s – how drunk somebody has been when he has invented that letter?).

Blame Apple for the trend :)

If they go with Unique though we will be competing with a cross dressing super diva. That could be a challenge:

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline pendragon3

+5% for ubit
btw ubit.org is already taken

underwun, I think the name decision should be based on what is your target audience, if it's for instance financial institutions - Identabit would make a sense because the may care about "identity" and have a value proposition in the name can be a good thing, but if you are going to promote it to more mass market Identabit name wouldn't contain any value proposition for them and having more simple name like ubit or idex can have more benefits. If you are going to target Bitcoin users and crypto enthusiasts, having identity in it's name can even do some harm.
Also more general name you use, the easier it would be to pivot and target different markets.
Take a look at Dash - they were able to double their market cap with rebranding.
More good names examples (in my opinion): Ripple, Stellar, Ethereum, Graphene (btw I suggested to call new version Graphene and I think the name works great so far, I was even advocating to rebrand Bitshares into Graphene completely).

"graphene" is a winner, imo.

Is ubit.org already taken? I thought it was still available for purchase (at BuyDomains.com).

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:02:56 pm by pendragon3 »

Offline pendragon3

"Identabit" might be fine for the blockchain or a company, but it's not such an effective name for the currency units. That's why "Bitcoin" has been a pretty good name: it's relatively simple to spell and say out loud, and it works well in connection with sending, spending, or receiving units of value. "Ubits" would be at least as good for this purpose, imo...

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
Identabit is just fine (just drop the capital D).

I don't get this trend that companies or products has to be named with commonly used words like "circle" or "square" or "unique". Never tried to google a word like that? There will be many pages of results until the company site will be found.

Also it would be nice if the name is easily pronounceable for both english and non-english speakers. No weird phones/sounds. If somebody says the name, you should be able to know or easily guess how that it is written. "Younique" is a bad example, because if you say it, you need to explain every time that "it's like unique but with yo in front of it" and people will be like "WTF?".

"Bitcoin" is pretty good name. Simple but no other existing meanings. Easy to pronounce and write, although it has letter c which is retarded (it can be pronounced like k or s – how drunk somebody has been when he has invented that letter?).

Offline valzav

• View Profile
 +5% for ubit
btw ubit.org is already taken

underwun, I think the name decision should be based on what is your target audience, if it's for instance financial institutions - Identabit would make a sense because the may care about "identity" and have a value proposition in the name can be a good thing, but if you are going to promote it to more mass market Identabit name wouldn't contain any value proposition for them and having more simple name like ubit or idex can have more benefits. If you are going to target Bitcoin users and crypto enthusiasts, having identity in it's name can even do some harm.
Also more general name you use, the easier it would be to pivot and target different markets.
Take a look at Dash - they were able to double their market cap with rebranding.
More good names examples (in my opinion): Ripple, Stellar, Ethereum, Graphene (btw I suggested to call new version Graphene and I think the name works great so far, I was even advocating to rebrand Bitshares into Graphene completely).

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
 +5% for

ubit 
idex
unique

Offline pendragon3

The branding brief mentions "an easy to remember retail name".
I think I have a brilliant name proposition. Actually a couple of them:

YOUNIQUE or  UNIQ

YOUBIT or  UBIT

I especially like UBIT. As a currency unit it is just perfect.

It sounds natural: "You owe me 12 ubits."
And it plays out nicely: it is your virtual currency and your identity.

What's more, ubit.org and youbit.com are still available.

As for the other service I'd go for REMIT. Then you'd have a nicely matching pair: UBIT & REMIT.

ubit.

Brilliant suggestion, jakub. Absolutely brilliant.

"ubit", imo, is a perfect name for a consumer-oriented currency intended to challenge Bitcoin head-on.

"ubit" is short, simple, memorable, and replete with meaning. It seems to have almost unlimited potential. It even subliminally evokes "uber." If John can fit this name into his plans for the naming system and future business strategy, that would be a huge coup. Maybe the currency name is not as precious as the overall business strategy, but here's one instance where the name could dramatically boost the rate of uptake by consumers, young and old.

I'm surprised that ubit.org and ubit.net are still available.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
My comments on the branding document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18xqqkgtv6a9nC_KlZL3TAkN-Rl_xMRFb7uADtnzHbsQ/edit?usp=sharing

(made a separate document to keep the original one readable).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 02:13:24 pm by delulo »

jakub

It seems they will stick on their first  choice whatever we will suggest here...  :-[

Fortunately John seems to be open-minded as he wrote this:
The name is not precious but the strategy is and how the name interrelates with other names is important.
and this:
I have a meeting with some marketing folk this week and I will see what they say and I'll let you know, but I'd like to say thank you for the effort made debating the name and confirming a concern.

I'm determined to do my best to convince him as the more I think about it the more it appears to me that business-wise the idea is absolutely brilliant.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
It seems they will stick on their first  choice whatever we will suggest here...  :-[
and it's their right to do so .. isn't it?
I am sure John does not want to you to take any of his decisions personally .. so let's move on and find something else he could improve ..

For instance,

would it be possible to have a distributed entity of verification? E.g. you can get verified in europe OR in the U.S. or in japan .. but as a German, I can participate if I am only verified by Germany?

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

jakub

The branding brief mentions "an easy to remember retail name".
I think I have a brilliant name proposition. Actually a couple of them:

YOUNIQUE or  UNIQ

YOUBIT or  UBIT

I especially like UBIT. As a currency unit it is just perfect.

It sounds natural: "You owe me 12 ubits."
And it plays out nicely: it is your virtual currency and your identity.

What's more, ubit.org and youbit.com are still available.

As for the other service I'd go for REMIT. Then you'd have a nicely matching pair: UBIT & REMIT.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:06:12 am by jakub »