Author Topic: OPENPOS :: Smartcoins Point Of Sale (POS) & BitShares Wallet for Android/iPhone  (Read 103801 times)

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
Ken, how is the f-droid publishing situation going?

Once we are out of beta, I will try to publish to f-droid on the same day I publish the mobile wallet to apple and google apps stores.
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline karnal

• View Profile

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
The cleanest way to upgrade in these alpha stages:
  • Write down your Brainkey (in Settings screen) and TRIPLE CHECK you wrote it down correctly!!
  • Do a fresh Backup to bin file as well!!
  • Uninstall the wallet completely (this cleans up your filesystem)
  • Download alpha 12 release: http://bitshares-munich.de/bitshares-wallet/BitSharesWallet-v1-alpha12.apk
  • Install alpha 12
  • Tap on Existing accounts and then tap on the first link in the following screen to type in your brainkey
  • Give it about FIVE minutes to sync up and bring in all your balances and transactions
  • Done.

This is basically the first "beta" release, but I do not want to put the word beta on it until we have the translations finished. I will upload a "beta 1" early next week, probably by wednesday, but if you do not need a language other than english, then this alpha 12 will work great for you.

Once we have all 22 translations in there, then I will upload the BitShares Wallet v1.0 beta 1, probably by wed or thu this week. 8)
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
I know it's not pretty yet, but we are getting functionality in there first. Getting the QR codes running in Odoo now, streamlining the menu structure, encoding the eReceipts and getting the specific Smartcoin or Altcoin to show up on the paper receipt.. lots of work goin on :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4zeRuzeDGA&index=9&list=PLjbx3qSmDe7RYkRMIEuFyYyG7_vvKgou0
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline bitacer

Ken , please check this out : http://148.88.67.49/barter/  they use pos system in local economies . very interesting

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
The cleanest way to upgrade in these alpha stages:
  • Write down your Brainkey (in Settings screen) and TRIPLE CHECK you wrote it down correctly!!
  • Do a fresh Backup to bin file as well!!
  • Uninstall the wallet completely (MANDATORY THIS TIME due to db structure update)
  • Download alpha 11 release: http://bitshares-munich.de/bitshares-wallet/BitSharesWallet-v1-alpha11.apk
  • Install alpha 11
  • Tap on Existing accounts and then tap on the first link in the following screen to type in your brainkey
  • Give it about FIVE minutes to sync up and bring in all your balances and transactions
  • Done.

I hope to have these (droid/iOS/Win) wallets out of alpha and into beta for the masses by end of next week. Wish us luck! :)
goin to bed now..
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline svk

I would think that most businesses (including my own) have no desire to run a Witness though. Nevermind the need to be tech savvy on it, have the time to manage it, and so on. Business owners other things to worry about.

@bytemaster mentioned that this was "a known issue" in the last mumble, is there any way we can get this issue on the table sooner rather than later? I can't afford to burn through hundreds of Megabytes in my data plan. Please and thanx guys

We're not saying you have to run a Witness, we're saying run a witness_node (which is simply the executable that lets you sync and interface with the blockchain).

That being said, I looked into this and identified a bug which is why BM said it's a known issue. I created an issue that theoretical made an initial commit for but that didn't do the trick, so hopefully he'll have another look. Track this to view the progress:

https://github.com/cryptonomex/graphene/issues/540
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
I would think that most businesses (including my own) have no desire to run a Witness though. Nevermind the need to be tech savvy on it, have the time to manage it, and so on. Business owners other things to worry about.

@bytemaster mentioned that this was "a known issue" in the last mumble, is there any way we can get this issue on the table sooner rather than later? I can't afford to burn through hundreds of Megabytes in my data plan. Please and thanx guys
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
it has come to my attention that the mobile app will suck up over 400MB if left open for 20+ minutes, this is not good. The nice thing is that this is a real-time wallet, no refresh is needed- Watch the block number in the bottom right corner. When someone sends you some money it shows up in the normal 3 seconds. Thing is, that real-time connection is sucking up my data plan! This friday (2 more days) I will be uploading the alpha 9 release and it has the 3 minute auto-close feature working. That will help *limit* data usage, but leaving your mobile wallet open for even 3 minutes might STILL suck up around 60MB grrrr - anybody have any idea why the socket is eating so much data? Is it downloading a frign movie or something? wtf
@svk @valzav @xeroc Any ideas on how I can limit the data usage?
If you're using the websocket connection as is from the witness_node you'll get spammed with loads of object updates that you have no interest in. Your best bet would be to implement a data layer that would filter the objects coming from the witness node and then only send out updates to items that actually interest you.
For some reason on every new block the 2.4.33 or 2.4.34 objects get pushed from the witness_node, and it's a HUGE object containing feed data for every single asset. If you can filter out that you should be fine...

Anyone can run a full node to provide the service you need.
Responsibilities of "the witnesses" (if you mean the block producers) don't include providing API services to clients for sure. Hosted wallet service provider (E.G. OpenLedger) is most likely to provide such API service.
I see this service a business opportunity.

nothing you can do on your end since you have to receive the data before you can filter it ..
No there is, what I'm saying is he needs to filter the outgoing data from the witness node using a proxy server. A node websocket server using socket.io should do the trick. He would need to host his own witness_node then obviously.

So, I would need to have the mobile wallets all connect to one dedicated witness node? Could we just have a few/all of the Witnesses provide this as an option to their service? So, for mobile clients, the Witnesses will only serve up just the filtered stuff? Heck, this might be a great value-add for all Witnesses, no? Many more mobile wallets will be released after our I'm sure. Thoughts?
Sounds like a paid service? Interesting..

@svk @abit @xeroc @bytemaster As more mobile wallets get out there (well, and regular wallets too), I can see the bandwidth requirements at the Witness nodes going up substantially. Witness pay is low enough as it is, so we'd better address this bandwidth issue sooner than later. Better to fix these issues now rather than wait until thousands of people have their wallets all open at the same time and Witnesses become inaccessible, can't afford to serve it up, etc. Thanx for any attention you can give to this issue soon guys please :)
Block producing witnesses should be hidden from proxies and not be uses to run a web wallet ...

Instread most businesses in BTS have a reason to run their own witness node(s) to be more reliable and faster.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
it has come to my attention that the mobile app will suck up over 400MB if left open for 20+ minutes, this is not good. The nice thing is that this is a real-time wallet, no refresh is needed- Watch the block number in the bottom right corner. When someone sends you some money it shows up in the normal 3 seconds. Thing is, that real-time connection is sucking up my data plan! This friday (2 more days) I will be uploading the alpha 9 release and it has the 3 minute auto-close feature working. That will help *limit* data usage, but leaving your mobile wallet open for even 3 minutes might STILL suck up around 60MB grrrr - anybody have any idea why the socket is eating so much data? Is it downloading a frign movie or something? wtf
If you're using the websocket connection as is from the witness_node you'll get spammed with loads of object updates that you have no interest in. Your best bet would be to implement a data layer that would filter the objects coming from the witness node and then only send out updates to items that actually interest you.
For some reason on every new block the 2.4.33 or 2.4.34 objects get pushed from the witness_node, and it's a HUGE object containing feed data for every single asset. If you can filter out that you should be fine...

Responsibilities of "the witnesses" (if you mean the block producers) don't include providing API services to clients for sure. Hosted wallet service provider (E.G. OpenLedger) is most likely to provide such API service.

nothing you can do on your end since you have to receive the data before you can filter it ..
No there is, what I'm saying is he needs to filter the outgoing data from the witness node using a proxy server. A node websocket server using socket.io should do the trick. He would need to host his own witness_node then obviously.

So, I would need to have the mobile wallets all connect to one dedicated witness node? Could we just have a few/all of the Witnesses provide this as an option to their service? So, for mobile clients, the Witnesses will only serve up just the filtered stuff? Heck, this might be a great value-add for all Witnesses, no? Many more mobile wallets will be released after our I'm sure. Thoughts?

@svk @abit @xeroc @bytemaster As more mobile wallets get out there (well, and regular wallets too), I can see the bandwidth requirements at the Witness nodes going up substantially. Witness pay is low enough as it is, so we'd better address this bandwidth issue sooner than later. Better to fix these issues now rather than wait until thousands of people have their wallets all open at the same time and Witnesses become inaccessible, can't afford to serve it up, etc. Thanx for any attention you can give to this issue soon guys please :)
Ken, you quoted my message but didn't understand it imo.

Witnesses have nothing to do with this bandwidth issue. It's up to online service providers for example OpenLedger to consider it. Witnesses don't provide a service to let your mobile wallet be able to connect to, but OpenLedger does.

Witnesses care more about bandwidth increasing caused by amount of transactions increasing though.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise

www.PalmPay.chat

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
right, but many more mobile wallets will be released after ours I'm sure.

how hard would it be to get the Witnesses to offer this level of service. i could code it so that the mobile wallets send a flag to the Witnesses saying "hey, i'm a mobile device, please filter out the big shit so my data plan isn't exhausted!" thoughts..?

let's encourage some other devs to make mobile wallets too...

Hay ken,  I'm looking to buy some OPENPOS and testing out your wallet.  Any updates on solving this problem?

Of course and thanx for the interest! :)
OPENPOS is traded on the dex, but if you can do a large purchase then drop @Chris4210 a PM as he might be able to work a deal with you.
As for the mobile wallet, it is still just in alpha stages, lots of UI to clean up still:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20762.msg275600.html#msg275600

Thanx so much! :)
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline konelectric

how hard would it be to get the Witnesses to offer this level of service. i could code it so that the mobile wallets send a flag to the Witnesses saying "hey, i'm a mobile device, please filter out the big shit so my data plan isn't exhausted!" thoughts..?

Hay ken,  I'm looking to buy some OPENPOS and testing out your wallet.  Any updates on solving this problem?
Tweeter: Konelectric. Steemit: Konelectric. Youtube: Patrick Konshak. Success Council: Yourship. Mumble: Yourship or Konelectric.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore

BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit