Author Topic: [Witness Proposal] roelandp  (Read 9701 times)

Offline R

• View Profile
Re: [Witness Proposal] roelandp
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2019, 02:36:47 am »
Hey RoelandP, It was great meeting you in person briefly at the Bitfest event.

Would you be interested in publishing price feeds for 3 new Algorithm Based Assets on the BTS DEX? They're called Verthandi, Skuld and Urthr.

https://whaleshares.io/bitshares/@customminer/norns-three-phase-oscillating-algorithm-based-assets-on-the-bts-dex

Here's the new price feed script repo: https://github.com/BTS-CM/Norns
New parallel price feed script: https://github.com/BTS-CM/Norns/blob/master/parallel_feed.py (change the wss server & min price feed value difference at your discretion).

It would be massively appreciated, thanks 👍
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 02:40:52 am by Customminer »

Offline roelandp

• Witness, dad, kitesurfer, event organiser
    • View Profile
    • RoelandP.nl
  • BitShares: roelandp
  • GitHub: roelandp
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2019, 12:09:38 pm »
Witness Outage explained.  A Perfect Storm

During the day & night of 11 - 12 september 2019 my witness stopped producing blocks for several hours, so bad. This is an unforgivable failure and should not have happened, with multiple failovers running and a monitoring script in place to automatically switch.

But still it happened.... What was going on?
It appears a perfect storm happened: Segfaulted main node (?) meh. And my witnessMonitorFailover script got stuck so I did not receive notifications to check. This is the first time in 1000+ days producing blocks.

After investigating it was an outlying coincidence: The server provider on which I have my monitoring script running, had an unexpected maintenance to the vps environment rack (?!!), causing the script to become unresponsive. (FYI i have bitshares related nodes in 3 different providers @ 4 different physical locations).

Most painful thing was that I relied 100% on my failover script. I was missing blocks while literally sitting behind my computer. And even when I launch my browser I have an overview page about witness work opened by default, ... But i didnt launch a new browser... Bummer.

Learning:
- double redundancy on failover scripts or at least a monitoring & notify tool on a second server is not such a bad idea + don't forget to check all nodes before going to bed (!)

Sorry for unwantingly delaying your transactions and I will learn from this.

See you on the chain & thank you for your continued support,

RoelandP

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2019, 01:23:53 pm »
So glad... it proves you are a human like us...   :)

PS Thanks for your never-ending contributions to bitshares community.